Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong section. I currently own a 2011 Sonata GLS. Its been a great car, but I am ready to upgrade to something nicer. My local Hyundai dealership recently got a 2012 CPO Azera. It has 12k miles and is equipped with the technology package. I am going to go test drive it later this week. However, I know that the 2015 Sonata will be out later this year. The Azera has a sticker price of 28k, but I would think there would be a couple grand of wiggle room in there. I would bet that a fully loaded 2015 Sonata would run around 30k, with almost no wiggle room.

As current Azera owners, and Hyundai fans, what do you think would be the best option? Price aside, do you think a slightly used Azera would be a better choice than a brand new (re-designed) Sonata? What about if I am looking at 4 grand less for the Azera?

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I`m sure you can get new azera for around 30k.
I'd go for azera over sonata anytime. They are in different league.
Couple years ago I worked with this guy who owns 2000(150,000 miles) avalon and 2010 camry (he purchased new).
I asked him which car drives better?
He said old avalon drives much smoother and faster still.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The Azera with Tech package has the same options as the decked out Sonata, and more. I owned a 2011 Sonata before trading it in for the Azera. They definitely are different cars. The Azera rides much better and is considerably more quiet. It is a little bigger than the Sonata, and it is noticeable when sitting inside. I do not regret my decision to upgrade from the Sonata. If I could do it over again, I would have gotten the tech package. Switching to the Azera is definitely an upgrade. I don't think you can get a new Azera with tech package for $30,000 though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any reason why I would want a "new" 2013 over a 2012 Azera, other than the fact that I would be the first person to ever own it?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hey all!

I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong section. I currently own a 2011 Sonata GLS. Its been a great car, but I am ready to upgrade to something nicer. My local Hyundai dealership recently got a 2012 CPO Azera. It has 12k miles and is equipped with the technology package. I am going to go test drive it later this week. However, I know that the 2015 Sonata will be out later this year. The Azera has a sticker price of 28k, but I would think there would be a couple grand of wiggle room in there. I would bet that a fully loaded 2015 Sonata would run around 30k, with almost no wiggle room.

As current Azera owners, and Hyundai fans, what do you think would be the best option? Price aside, do you think a slightly used Azera would be a better choice than a brand new (re-designed) Sonata? What about if I am looking at 4 grand less for the Azera?

Thanks!
They are two completely different cars. The Azera is more plush and a much better ride than a Sonata whether a new design or not. I have owned both and have a 2012 Azera and I absolutely love it. I really liked my 11 Sonata Limited but, not nearly as much as my Azera.

You really need to drive the Azera and see for yourself. In the end money can always be a factor. Go with your gut feeling.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
They are two completely different cars. The Azera is more plush and a much better ride than a Sonata whether a new design or not. I have owned both and have a 2012 Azera and I absolutely love it. I really liked my 11 Sonata Limited but, not nearly as much as my Azera.

You really need to drive the Azera and see for yourself. In the end money can always be a factor. Go with your gut feeling.
I agree with these comments. I had a 2011 Sonata, and I was very happy with it, but I did miss some of the refinement of my previous car, an Infiniti G35.

I traded for the 2013 Azera in February, and I am thrilled with this car. I really like the smoothness of the six cyl. engine, and the interior is even nicer than my G35s.

I would not worry about buying CPO, but make sure that you are saving some $$$$ vs. buying new.

Drive both, and see what you think. When I bought my Azera with Tech, I paid about $33.5K+ TTL, and got a very fair trade-in on my 2011 Sonata.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I agree with these comments. I had a 2011 Sonata, and I was very happy with it, but I did miss some of the refinement of my previous car, an Infiniti G35.

I traded for the 2013 Azera in February, and I am thrilled with this car. I really like the smoothness of the six cyl. engine, and the interior is even nicer than my G35s.

I would not worry about buying CPO, but make sure that you are saving some $$$$ vs. buying new.

Drive both, and see what you think. When I bought my Azera with Tech, I paid about $33.5K+ TTL, and got a very fair trade-in on my 2011 Sonata.
I'm thinking of trading my sonata for a 2014 Azera. What did they give you for trade on your 2011 if you don't mind me asking and when was it. My experience has always been you get much less than what KBB shows but I keep hearing on this forum that trade values are really in line with KBB.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I'm thinking of trading my sonata for a 2014 Azera. What did they give you for trade on your 2011 if you don't mind me asking and when was it. My experience has always been you get much less than what KBB shows but I keep hearing on this forum that trade values are really in line with KBB.
I had a 2011 Limited with Nav. I got $18K for it, which was a reasonable actual cash value against the discounted price of the Azera, which was ~33K. I had posted $33.5K, but I just looked at my loan spreadsheet, that shows $33,050, which I think was correct.

My Sonata was in very good condition, no damage, save for a couple of light scratches, and 2 very small door dings. I got a very good deal considering all of this.

The Azera has been virtually flawless. I have my first actual warranty appointment set up for this Friday to address a slight rattle that has developed in the Panoramic sunroof. Other than that, no issues at about 8K miles. Great car!

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I had a 2011 Limited with Nav. I got $18K for it, which was a reasonable actual cash value against the discounted price of the Azera, which was ~33K. I had posted $33.5K, but I just looked at my loan spreadsheet, that shows $33,050, which I think was correct.

My Sonata was in very good condition, no damage, save for a couple of light scratches, and 2 very small door dings. I got a very good deal considering all of this.

The Azera has been virtually flawless. I have my first actual warranty appointment set up for this Friday to address a slight rattle that has developed in the Panoramic sunroof. Other than that, no issues at about 8K miles. Great car!
So I was thinking my 2013 Sonata ltd with NAV was worth around $18k - perhaps it's more. Flawless with 28k miles. Washed and vacuumed every week.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I'd think you'd get a bit more for a 2013... miles are a bit high for 2013, but it's 2 years newer than my 2011. I bought in 2010, and paid $26.4 for it. I think I did fine to drive it almost 3 years for about $8,400.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got my 2013 new Azera with Tech package in the Summer for slightly < $30k before tax. That's after all the Hyundai financing rebates, American Express $500 rebates and Motozuma/Hyundai match, plus a little of pricing mistake from the dealer via Truecar. If you find a 2013 with Tech at a dealership on their website before you go in, I think you should have no problem getting a brand new one at that price.

Now there is also something called boostup.com which Hyundai will match $500 but I don't know if you can combine with Motozuma. Do check them out to get the savings.

Azera is definitely a much better, and better looking car. I work in Menlo Park, CA where I see many Tesla S, and other nice cars on the streets and at work. The Azera fits right in. I have several colleagues who have asked about and compliments my car. I have never been asked about when I drove any other cars (I rented cars for almost a year, driving different cars to work every week). And after driving for 6 months, I have only seen 3 others Azeras on the road. Those are just appearance. But it does sits very comfortably, and drives really nice. And when you need the power, the 290 HP is there which you won't get from the Sonata.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I drove both 2013 azera and Sonata. IMHO, the Sonata was not even close to the Azera in every respect imaginable… except mpg. Mine is still doing very poor in city driving. Hoping it is a break - in thing.

Unless warranty and city mpg is a overwhelming factor, let the test drive tell you what you want. You may be able to increase what is remaining on bumper to bumper warranty for an extra cost on the Azera.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use nada.com it's a more close guide to trade in values. I work for a dealer and kbb is way off all the time. The reason they inflate their pricing is because they are partners with autotrader and Mannheim auto auctions. It's a totally different value if you are on Manheims website

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I use nada.com it's a more close guide to trade in values. I work for a dealer and kbb is way off all the time. The reason they inflate their pricing is because they are partners with autotrader and Mannheim auto auctions. It's a totally different value if you are on Manheims website
I've found KBB overstates by 15% or more.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have driven both the 2012 Sonata loaded and the 2013 Azera loaded. There is no comparison between the Sonata and the Azera. The Azera has a far better ride, little highway noise, better fit all the way around, plenty of options and more bang for the buck that a Sonata. I would never buy a Sonata. Drive them both and see for yourself. Sure You can get a Sonata for a better price but when you upgrade to a Azera there is a major difference. I rather pay the price and have a better car.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm truly baffled by the low sales numbers of the Azera!

It's a good car that no one is even at least considering.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm truly baffled by the low sales numbers of the Azera!

It's a good car that no one is even at least considering.
I don't think hyundai does enough advertising. I've seen plenty of tv comercial's on the sonata but i don't recall seeing any on the Azera. It's like they're keeping it a secret. Rarely do i see one on the road. Coworker's wife purchased a black one which is gorgeous but besides that i don't know anyone who has one.

Sent from my SCH-I535

1 - 20 of 21 Posts