Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I come to you as I am desperate with this issue. I have an Accent 2012 GLS with around 91,000 Miles. All maintenance has been performed on time and I am the single owner.

A few months ago we started hearing a rattling noise coming from the front of the car. This noise usually happens during slow acceleration between 40 and 60 mph.
The first time in the dealership they replaced the front wheel bearings - Problem persisted
The second time they changed the engine mount - Problem persisted
The third time I took it to another mechanic and they replaced the drive belt, idler pulley and spark plugs (just in case that was the problem) - Problem persisted

It seems, from the mechanic expertise, that this might be an engine issue. He recommended using premium gas a few times to see if it reduced the noise. I tried this and it actually does help, but it seems that the accent should not be running on Premium gas. I put normal gas again and the noise came back immediately.

The mechanic mentioned I might need an engine replacement, but Hyundai will do everything in their power to deny that claim.

Any help in understanding what is going on is helpful.

I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome to the world of DI and the 1.6's inherent issue that I'd say a good 50% of owners experience (and the other deny or are extremely lucky). I've been running premium since about 20k miles and I'm now just rolling over 125k. My ECU has well adjusted to it at this point and the minor cost difference is made up in slightly better performance and fuel economy.

Spend the money and ask your dealer about the BGK 3 stage intake clean. It's about $100 or so but makes a world of difference. The more carbon buildup you have (and you will have plenty at 90k especially if you do short trips) the more compression which then means the octane requirements go even higher.

This cleared up a slightly rough idle and helped a ton with any detonation/pinging (which was extremely rare on 93 as is). I did at 105k and just did it again at 125k. In 20k miles it made a huge difference yet again.

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
745 Posts
Do exactly what @SoloCamo stated.
Use premium gas as these engines are very high compression engines and need the higher octane to prevent knock.
DI or direct injected engines do not have the fuel spraying directly to the back of the intake valves like the engines of old.
Carbon build up can be a major concern the more miles you put on the engine and Hyundai has not addressed this issue.

Many people with other manufacturers using the same designed engine are having similar problems so don't think it's just a Hyundai thing.

Good luck and do follow solocams instructions and that should eliminate your issue. ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for your reply.
Is this " BGK 3 stage intake clean " something that the dealership has to do? or is this some liquid that I can add to the gas tank. Is this the same as the BG 44K Fuel system cleaner?

I read about a ECU update as well that potentially fixes it, but I am having a lot of pushback from the dealership as they don't want to do it because my VIN # does not show any recalls, even though this update is not a recall.

So is my destiny to keep using premium gas?

Thank you!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Carbon in an engine is power robing & affects Your fuel mileage when You clean it up it frees power & fuel economy back to nearly when the engine was new. BG Complete Service is thorough & consists of cleaning the intake manifold, inc throttle body, Injectores, & the Piston Rings using the EPR oil in the engine. i can testify 1st hand i have used there Products in the Past with very Good results.! just look at what it did on these vehicles.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thank you very much for your reply.
Is this " BGK 3 stage intake clean " something that the dealership has to do? or is this some liquid that I can add to the gas tank. Is this the same as the BG 44K Fuel system cleaner?

I read about a ECU update as well that potentially fixes it, but I am having a lot of pushback from the dealership as they don't want to do it because my VIN # does not show any recalls, even though this update is not a recall.

So is my destiny to keep using premium gas?

Thank you!
Well it can be done by any shop that has the authorized equipment. Enough of them do and will probably be cheaper than the dealer. However, with you still under warranty I'd take it to the dealer just in case anything were to go sour. That said, with the nature of direct injection motors the only good pouring anything in the tank will do is clear the lines and help the injectors. The bigger issue is the valves which will not get clean due to the fuel never being sprayed over them. That's why those cleaners such as techron, etc. are great for standard port injection, they don't do squat for direct injection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts