Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been holding out for the new 2010 Sonata Turbo but I just found a guy who wants to get rid of his 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track with Navi (Manual) for a great price. The car has only 9K miles on it and he just got the windows tinted. I know that I will pay much more for a new Turbo SE or Limited. What are you thoughts?

·
Banned
873 Posts
its really not that hard to make that choice... they are completly different cars, if you need the room for extra seats and comfort go with the new sonata (the interior looks better than the genesis IMO) but if you are just a single commuter who wants performance and rwd and attract hot girls... get the 3.8 genesis track...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I first got the Sonata I could not belive how big it was. It did come in handy when I took the family out. But 80% of the time I am a single commuter.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Shouldn't this be in the 5 G section?
But actually I did have a question, when are the turbo Sonatas coming out?? All I see at the dealerships around here are the naturally aspirated 4 bangers.

I am seriously thinking about trading in my Max for the turbo Sonata...the interior of the new ones are sex. Hyundai did an impressive job on the fit and finish of that car for real.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not want to go to the 5G site because I own a 2006 LX and wanted a un bias opinion.
I talked with the Hyundai dealership and they expect first shipment of the Turbo's next month. Do not know the exact date. You probably see most come in during late Nov. Its funny though because I have been visitng the official web sites and doing searches on the internet and there are no definite trims yet. In one article I read that there will be only two trims (SE and Limited). In November the new Kia Optima is suppose to be arriving at the dealerships'showrooms too. It looks like the Optima will include more interior stuff too. When my sister bought her optima in 06 (EX V6). For less than the price of my Sonata she got the TPMS, automatic adjusting breake and excellerator pedals a much better stereo system. She even got 8 way adjustable seats for both driver and passenger. The interior also looked better than the 06 Sonata. In fact the 08-09 Sonata looks very similar.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (maguzma @ Sep 21 2010, 07:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357843
I did not want to go to the 5G site because I own a 2006 LX and wanted a un bias opinion.
I talked with the Hyundai dealership and they expect first shipment of the Turbo's next month. Do not know the exact date. You probably see most come in during late Nov. Its funny though because I have been visitng the official web sites and doing searches on the internet and there are no definite trims yet. In one article I read that there will be only two trims (SE and Limited). In November the new Kia Optima is suppose to be arriving at the dealerships'showrooms too. It looks like the Optima will include more interior stuff too. When my sister bought her optima in 06 (EX V6). For less than the price of my Sonata she got the TPMS, automatic adjusting breake and excellerator pedals a much better stereo system. She even got 8 way adjustable seats for both driver and passenger. The interior also looked better than the 06 Sonata. In fact the 08-09 Sonata looks very similar.
I have not visited the 5G forum yet, but I am in the market for a new car. I am very impressed with the interior but I cannot go with a 4 banger. Just can't do it. I test drove the 4 cyl. Though it might be ample for most people, juts feels odd to go back to a 4 cyl. I am curious to know what psi the turbo is boosting, because 270s seems pretty high for a single turbo in a 2 liter displacement. One thing is for sure, modding will be a breeze compared to the 4g 6 cylinder....

·
Registered
104 Posts
They are two COMPLETELY different vehicles, couldn't be any more different really unless you were comparing a GC Track and a Unimog.

The GC Track is an awesome vehicle, I almost bought one myself. The brake job for the track model is going to cost you over $1,000 when it comes time to replace the pads and rotors on those beautiful Brembos though. Something to keep in mind...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well today I went to check out the car again to make sure I wanted to buy it. But in the corner of my eye was a 2009 Infiniti M35 (sport fully loaded). So I test drove it. And I think I like the M35 better. Not only does come equipped more than the Genesis Coupe Track but it seems smoother. I know it is completely different to the M35. But what turned me off was the Coupe's manual transmission was very choppy. It seemed I tried to find the gears every time I wanted to push it. After driving both cars the dealer was willing to let the M35 go very close to the coupe (out the door) prices. So I told him that I had to think about it and would give him my reply on Monday. I liked everything about the coupe except the color and manual (light blue and manual). I did like the brembo brakes and navi but the Infiniti has navi and back up camera plus the pano roof. I drove both on surface streets and freeway and I noticed the coupe was more raw and the M35 refined. I also visited another dealership and they had a 2010 Genesis Coupe Grand Touring (Auto) fully loaded but I could not get them under 28K out the door. On Monday the Hyundai dealership had two 2010's that they were willing to let them go for 27.5K OTD. But they did not have the back up sensors nor Navi like the used one. So it looks like I might have to go back to Infiniti. Before the Sonata I had a MBZ but I did not like the fact that everybody had a similar cars. In California (SOCAL) there were not very many Sonata lX's on the road and the exterior stuff I got for it. I do not see many Genesis on the road either (coupes or sedans) but for some reason the dealerships are keeping the price high for used ones. I was waiting for the Sonata Turbo but the dealer told me that they will not be released until end of December. I also talked with the Kia dealership and they reported that the Kia Optima wont be in the showrooms until the end of Oct and the SX will be sold at MSRP Plus. That would put it more than the M35. What do you think I should do?

Attachments

·
Banned
74 Posts
QUOTE (maguzma @ Sep 26 2010, 12:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358805
Well today I went to check out the car again to make sure I wanted to buy it. But in the corner of my eye was a 2009 Infiniti M35 (sport fully loaded). So I test drove it. And I think I like the M35 better. Not only does come equipped more than the Genesis Coupe Track but it seems smoother. I know it is completely different to the M35. But what turned me off was the Coupe's manual transmission was very choppy. It seemed I tried to find the gears every time I wanted to push it. After driving both cars the dealer was willing to let the M35 go very close to the coupe (out the door) prices. So I told him that I had to think about it and would give him my reply on Monday. I liked everything about the coupe except the color and manual (light blue and manual). I did like the brembo brakes and navi but the Infiniti has navi and back up camera plus the pano roof. I drove both on surface streets and freeway and I noticed the coupe was more raw and the M35 refined. I also visited another dealership and they had a 2010 Genesis Coupe Grand Touring (Auto) fully loaded but I could not get them under 28K out the door. On Monday the Hyundai dealership had two 2010's that they were willing to let them go for 27.5K OTD. But they did not have the back up sensors nor Navi like the used one. So it looks like I might have to go back to Infiniti. Before the Sonata I had a MBZ but I did not like the fact that everybody had a similar cars. In California (SOCAL) there were not very many Sonata lX's on the road and the exterior stuff I got for it. I do not see many Genesis on the road either (coupes or sedans) but for some reason the dealerships are keeping the price high for used ones. I was waiting for the Sonata Turbo but the dealer told me that they will not be released until end of December. I also talked with the Kia dealership and they reported that the Kia Optima wont be in the showrooms until the end of Oct and the SX will be sold at MSRP Plus. That would put it more than the M35. What do you think I should do?
Im new to this sight but have driven diesel trucks/real diesels for a while. theres always a turbo problem. and these are diesels. with the compression lowered. i would not buy a hyundai with a turbo! and not just a hyundai but any other make! turbos reguardless if not exactly right will eventually warp or go bad! and then you are slower than any car!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (melissa.928 @ Sep 26 2010, 08:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359016
Im new to this sight but have driven diesel trucks/real diesels for a while. theres always a turbo problem. and these are diesels. with the compression lowered. i would not buy a hyundai with a turbo! and not just a hyundai but any other make! turbos reguardless if not exactly right will eventually warp or go bad! and then you are slower than any car!
Turbos are great energy recyclers and can add significant power to an engine but they need to be properly babied. My Saab had an oil-cooled turbo with a waste gate that would open when the engine started pinging, indicating an over-boost condition, rather than at a preset pressure, like most turbos of the day. Saab recommended oil changes at 3750 miles or 3 months. Since I drove a maximum of 7500 miles/year, I changed oil every 1875 miles. The oil change procedure was critical to maintaining the turbo. After the oil change, you had to disconnect the ignition system and turn the car over for a while to make sure that the turbo bearing was properly lubricated before actually starting the engine. Saab recommended a 30 second cool down EVERYTIME you stop the engine, a full minute if it had been driven hard. Failure to do ANY of the above resulted in a failed turbo sooner or later. The problem comes with not taking the necessary precautions to "baby" the turbo to make it last. Sure it was PITA sometimes sitting there waiting for the turbo to cool down and I took a lot crap for it believe me, but I had that vehicle for 10 years without any turbo problems. If one is not willing to properly maintain a turbo, then one shouldn't even consider getting one, IMHO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts