Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

This has been happening for a while and am wondering if there is additional cause for concern.

ATF temps are hitting 210-230F when my commute is heavier than normal. 50 minute drive, initially stop and go in heavy traffic in hilly area for 10 minutes, 30 minutes on highway, and 15 minutes on back roads.

Torque Pro shows temps usually around 180 during highway driving but easily touches 220+ when outside temps are 80+. Not using the manual shifter.

Car runs SP4-M ATF changed 5K miles back, 2x drain and fill. Are these transmissions prone to elevated temps in general?

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Hey all,

This has been happening for a while and am wondering if there is additional cause for concern.

ATF temps are hitting 210-230F when my commute is heavier than normal. 50 minute drive, initially stop and go in heavy traffic in hilly area for 10 minutes, 30 minutes on highway, and 15 minutes on back roads.

Torque Pro shows temps usually around 180 during highway driving but easily touches 220+ when outside temps are 80+. Not using the manual shifter.

Car runs SP4-M ATF changed 5K miles back, 2x drain and fill. Are these transmissions prone to elevated temps in general?
Hey all,

If it hits 210 under those conditions,I would not be that concerned about it.....230 is a bit high.Remember,internal parts of the trans run hotter than that which will tax the fluid further.

Are you sure you did not over fill the trans?That will cause the fluid to run hotter than normal and in some cases,the trans will not shift normally.No shifting issues?

[Torque Pro shows temps usually around 180 during highway driving but easily touches 220+ when outside temps are 80+. Not using the manual shifter.

Temp hits 220 plus on the highway over 80 degrees??? Our car runs 176-182 on the highway on flat terrain in temps of 90 degrees. The other day,we drove in very hilly areas(Schooleys Mountain region in Morris County) and temps always stayed under 200,usually,always around 194-197 in 90 degree heat.

Reactions: dreamtheaterr

·
Registered
953 Posts
Our transmissions are garbage, the whole design is garbage. I used to hit 240F on my way back home from work that consists of 45 miles of back roads and a quick interstate run for maybe 5 mins. The stock cooler is integrated in the radiator design. This means coolant is running through it and when your coolant is 210F your trans temps can only cool down to 210F. Hyundai/Kia knew this and upgraded to a full synthetic fluid (SP4-M) that will withstand higher temperatures. IMO that's like putting a band-aid on a wound that requires stitches.

I was running into this every day when it was warm outside, even if it was moderately warm and I was driving aggressively I would always be over 210F. So I did a bit of research and figured out how to add a trans cooler. I ended up making a diagram so you can easily install one yourself. The stock cooler is still being used, but the cooled trans fluid is going to the aftermarket cooler to bleed off more heat until it returns back to the transmission. You can also run the cooler as a stand alone but it takes awhile to get up to operating temp and it could be dangerous in the winter for your first 5-10 mins of driving.

Including a couple screenshots and pictures to help you, though if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Hot ATF is why the OE SP-IV ATF is mud when I do Hyundai/Kia 1st drain/refills. SP4M might include some synthetic basestock but isn't labelled full synthetic around here.

Hot thin ATF is great for MPG. Where have I heard that before? Oh, I remember.... the self destructing engines on API 5w30 or 5w20 oils.
Its not a garbage design. It runs hot for best MPG.

Use Amsoil, Maxlife, Pennzoil, Redline... full synthetic LV ATFs.
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...cient-synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid/
https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/automatic-transmission-products/maxlife-multi-vehicle-atf
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...mission-fluids/platinum-lv-multi-vehicle.html
https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-atf-sp-iv-fluid.html
https://www.redlineoil.com/d6-atf

Install an ATF cooler. Salvage yard is full of trucks/suvs with excellent OE ATF coolers.

Reactions: dreamtheaterr

·
Registered
953 Posts
Here's my drive back from work yesterday, the car was 100F when I left work. I started the torque app about 10 mins from home (a little over an hour drive total).

Flight instruments Gauge Auto part Speedometer Vehicle

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you sure you did not over fill the trans?That will cause the fluid to run hotter than normal and in some cases,the trans will not shift normally.No shifting issues?
Fluid level was fine, I checked with engine running and per instructions. Actually, transmission is shifting super smooth, and much smoother than when the Valvoline was there for the past year. So while the Valvoline kept the temps a bit lower, the SP4-M has improved shifting a lot but the temps run warmer.

The only hiccup with the transmission I have had since Day 1 and and fed up bringing up to the dealer's attention since they do nothing is that there is an intermittent first to second gear slip. If I hit the throttle a little harder after a red light because the cars in front took off and my car is about to do the first to second shift, there is a significant slip in the gear. Dealer can't replicate so I have learnt to live with it all these years. Thanks again for all your great insight - much appreciated!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Our transmissions are garbage, the whole design is garbage. I used to hit 240F on my way back home from work that consists of 45 miles of back roads and a quick interstate run for maybe 5 mins. The stock cooler is integrated in the radiator design. This means coolant is running through it and when your coolant is 210F your trans temps can only cool down to 210F. Hyundai/Kia knew this and upgraded to a full synthetic fluid (SP4-M) that will withstand higher temperatures. IMO that's like putting a band-aid on a wound that requires stitches.

I was running into this every day when it was warm outside, even if it was moderately warm and I was driving aggressively I would always be over 210F. So I did a bit of research and figured out how to add a trans cooler. I ended up making a diagram so you can easily install one yourself. The stock cooler is still being used, but the cooled trans fluid is going to the aftermarket cooler to bleed off more heat until it returns back to the transmission. You can also run the cooler as a stand alone but it takes awhile to get up to operating temp and it could be dangerous in the winter for your first 5-10 mins of driving.

Including a couple screenshots and pictures to help you, though if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

I installed a Magnefine 3/8" inline filter several years back on my '12 Optima SX and can confirm the flow direction that you've posted (and thanks for the excellent picture of that). Back then, I could not find which flow direction it was and just did a simple experiment where I cut the "blue" line in two, installed two clear hoses and had the wife start the car so I could determine the fluid flow. I've toyed with the idea of putting that B&M cooler on my car as well but with my 20 mile commute to work, I never seemed to get the OEM ATF fluid to get much over 200°F.

I just recently replaced my ATF at ~71K miles (I had replaced it back at 42K miles with a single OEM ATF [the older SP-IV fluid] drain/fill procedure) and my Magnefine filter. I used the Amsoil OE Synthetic fluid instead of the newer OEM SP4-M (which is also now a full synthetic fluid - I have the PDF flyer from them to prove it). Tranny shifted fine before (like new) the change and I did a double change with ~20 miles in-between the drain/fills. I used 6 quarts per drain/fill.

I have to get my Torque Plus app operational again (bought new phone) to check the temperatures to see if I can tell any temperature difference between the old OEM ATF and the new Amsoil OE ATF. I'm not really expecting any big difference but who knows...

·
Registered
413 Posts
Update: Now that I got my Torque Pro up and running again. I've been watching my ATF temperature with 95°F ambient temps and all seems good. The max temp I've seen was 202°F after 20 miles of driving (city/highway mix).

·
Registered
953 Posts
Nice, here's after an hour drive yesterday.

After that I ran on the interstate for about 5 miles and trans temps got up to 199F. You can see the trans cooler and the coolant recirc mod are working well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Just made a trip from Phoenix -> Tucson and Tucson -> Phoenix. ATF temp hit ~210 on the way back and it was 95-100º outside temp averaging 78mph with 3-adults and luggage.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Here's my drive back from work yesterday, the car was 100F when I left work. I started the torque app about 10 mins from home (a little over an hour drive total).

View attachment 411243
I have a 2018 Sonata 2.0T and it's not registering anything for the transmission or the oil temperature. Is there something I need to do or configure in the app? I'm using the latest version of Torque Pro.

Attachments

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Our transmissions are garbage, the whole design is garbage.
LOL.......I can't quit laughing.......Hahahahaha .........The most honest and profound statement I've heard about Hyundai transmissions.....bar none......LOL....

Reactions: C4RN1

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a 2018 Sonata 2.0T and it's not registering anything for the transmission or the oil temperature. Is there something I need to do or configure in the app? I'm using the latest version of Torque Pro.
Was Hyundai EX app also bought and installed? That has the custom PIDs to see stuff like engine and atf temp, and wastegate voltage, etc

·
Registered
953 Posts
LOL.......I can't quit laughing.......Hahahahaha .........The most honest and profound statement I've heard about Hyundai transmissions.....bar none......LOL....
It's holding up well now that it's running cooler. The whole car is running cooler actually. The fmic gives me instant response and the car doesn't stop pulling. Still I hate how slow the paddle shifters respond and how slow the trans shifts in general. A level 10 trans upgrade helps how laggy the trans is and will also allow it to support more than 350 ft/lbs torque. I just don't think it's worth it to drop a $3300 built transmission in.

Still it's quick for what it is and it's fun to drive. Plus with the 245/45's I don't have tire spin from 25-30 anymore.

Old video after the fmic install, it's a bit faster now though.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Sorry, the Advanced EX for Hyundai was designed for the YF, the LF has different PID's that haven't been released yet. So everything up to 2014 will work, 2015 and above hasn't been updated.

Several have tried to write to the developer with no response, it's like he dropped off the face of the earth....

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Sorry, the Advanced EX for Hyundai was designed for the YF, the LF has different PID's that haven't been released yet. So everything up to 2014 will work, 2015 and above hasn't been updated.

Several have tried to write to the developer with no response, it's like he dropped off the face of the earth....
Thanks. I tried it and it is indeed not working. I also saw the comments in the Google Play store and it appears the developer has not responded in a while. That's too bad :(

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I had the same problem trying to set up Torque Pro for our 2017 Sonata.Wound up using it on another vehicle,so,it was not a waste.

Went with ScanGauge II. It does a lot although main use for me is coolant temp,oil temp and trans temp. A bit pricey,but,I bought it with a $40 off coupon.Their support is top notch.

https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts