Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 2011 sonata 2.0T limited edition has a rattle under the hood. it is noticeable when i'm stopped. It happens when the AC is on, but stops when i turn it off. It also happens when the AC isn't running. I took to the dealership, they "couldn't hear" what i was hearing, (because they wouldn't ride with me, had to drop it off) and they said this is a normal sound with a turbo engine. I'm not buying it as it didn't do it the first few months i had it. It's getting louder and pretty annoying now.
Anyone else have a rattle under the hood??

·
Registered
685 Posts
There's a known rattle from the turbo wastegate. It rattles on low RPM's and cold starts. As far as I understand each car is different so mine for example, never had any rattles on start or idle but does have a slight rattle on low rpm under load.
This is that. Now your AC - I would assume that it's reasonable that yours can rattle when the AC is on. Or if the ac is off and you're just at the right rpm under a very light load.

If this is your problem - dealer will not help. There's a tsb from HMA saying that it's normal and realistically there's nothing they can do for you to fix it. Even if they replace the parts it'll still rattle. Unless yours rattles really bad.

Now, if it's not that - could be a different story. But what I don't get is how come they can't go out for a ride with you to hear the problem and why did you accept this??? I would turn around and left right there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you can reproduce the noise (perhaps it'll do it at an exact rpm range) you should get them to let you do that while a tech is looking at it with you. If it is in fact the wastegate rattle, they should be able to prove that to you by holding something (large screwdriver, etc - just holding against any vibration, it won't damage anything) against the wastegate pivot while it's making the noise and the noise will then go away.

If that IS the noise, then yes - there's a bulletin that says it is a normal noise for that model and unless you call Hyundai (and even if you do) you won't likely get anything out of it.

If that is NOT the noise, then at least you can go from there and hopefully get it taken care of.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Turn the radio up!

I like Turrican's response, nice to have a repair guy on the forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts