Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well - i know the rated towing capacity is pretty poor on the tucson, but i have a twice a year need to drop a boat in the water, and pull it back out. Boat and trailer are only about 2,500 lbs.

So...being a guy that mods the crap out of stuff...i had to do it.
I bought this hitch: http://sitepro12.sitepro.com/masterlibrary..._120200_INS.PDF
Got it on ebay for $117 with free shipping. Doesn't include the ball or lighting, but have a ball, and the lighting is $34 on eTrailerHitch. So...

Has ANYONE done this on a 2010 or 2011 Tucson? Just curious to see the pics and how far out it is without the ball?
Thanks!

Doug

BTW - my "other car" is a Dodge Charger- 5.7 hemi, modified cam, exhaust, valve springs, blah blah blah, 7lbs boost paxton novi supercharger that runs 11.50's at the dragstrip :)

·
Registered
570 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Curt hitch came this week. Grabbed the 17mm socket, 1/2 ratchet and extension, popped the passenger side hanger off the exhaust and about 4 mins later we were torquing the bracket to 37#'s and popping the exhaust back onto the bracket.

Nice, easy piece of work - looks to be quality and will get tested this weekend dragging a 19' center console out of the Chesapeake Bay.

Tomorrow morning my oldest son and I will spend an hour completing the wiring since it came this evening as well. All and all, for a $110 to $120 and less than 10 mins of work to have the OPTION of towing, pretty slick.

·
Registered
570 Posts
QUOTE (PaTucson @ Oct 15 2010, 06:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363748
Curt hitch came this week. Grabbed the 17mm socket, 1/2 ratchet and extension, popped the passenger side hanger off the exhaust and about 4 mins later we were torquing the bracket to 37#'s and popping the exhaust back onto the bracket.

Nice, easy piece of work - looks to be quality and will get tested this weekend dragging a 19' center console out of the Chesapeake Bay.

Tomorrow morning my oldest son and I will spend an hour completing the wiring since it came this evening as well. All and all, for a $110 to $120 and less than 10 mins of work to have the OPTION of towing, pretty slick.
Yeah, it's great. If someone like me can put this on, anyone (and I mean ANYONE) can do it! Good luck this weekend.

tim B)

·
Registered
3 Posts

20' pontoon

PaTucson, how is your Tucson working with pulling the boat out of the water? Any troubles? I have a 20' pontoon that I'm hoping to pull out of the Rehoboth Bay. I don't plan on towing it anywhere, just dropping the boat in at the beginning of the season and pulling it out at the end.

Is your Tucson all wheel drive or just front wheel like mine?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yup! Got a Curt hitch on mine! You can hardly see it. Just haven't towed anything yet...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Curt Hitch for 2011 Tucson...

We have installed the Curt Hitch on our 2011 Tucson. Easy installation and it fit perfectly.

I have towed and launched my 16ft aluminum bass boat with no problems. Have had to use the differential "lock" setting a couple of times in loose sand, and it works.

Towing the boat the vehicle is a bit under-powered going up hills, and gas mileage falls like a brick... but all-in-all I'm quite satisfied.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have installed the Curt Hitch on our 2011 Tucson. Easy installation and it fit perfectly.

I have towed and launched my 16ft aluminum bass boat with no problems. Have had to use the differential "lock" setting a couple of times in loose sand, and it works.

Towing the boat the vehicle is a bit under-powered going up hills, and gas mileage falls like a brick... but all-in-all I'm quite satisfied.

Thanks Leedef. If you don't mind me asking, about how much does your boat/trailer/motor weigh? How do you lock the differential?

I have:
-20 foot pontoon with a 50 hp motor
-cement boat ramp at the bay
-FRONT wheel drive 2010 tucson 2.4liter
-I don't plan on towing it more than half a mile once it's out of the water

Can i do it?????

·
Registered
590 Posts
Thanks Leedef. If you don't mind me asking, about how much does your boat/trailer/motor weigh? How do you lock the differential?

I have:
-20 foot pontoon with a 50 hp motor
-cement boat ramp at the bay
-FRONT wheel drive 2010 tucson 2.4liter
-I don't plan on towing it more than half a mile once it's out of the water

Can i do it?????
Ouch......:eek:
I would never do that with my Tucson.
Just a guess.........the combined weight of the pontoon, trailer, and motor is ruffly 2500 - 3000 lbs or more, then pulling it up out of a boat ramp.

Plus, most of the weight is on the rear when pulling out of a boat ramp.........bet it don't work to well with only 2WD.

Locking the differential on the 4WD model amounts to pushing a switch on the dash.

·
Registered
104 Posts
How about towing a jetski 400 miles? About 1000 lbs, so weight not a concern, but distance. I figure once you get up and moving it's not that much of a strain...

·
Registered
590 Posts
How about towing a jetski 400 miles? About 1000 lbs, so weight not a concern, but distance. I figure once you get up and moving it's not that much of a strain...
Should handle that no problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
buerkletucson: I've got a 2013 LTD AWD 2.4, and I'm looking to add a boat to my list of toys. Just to drop in and out of White Bear Lake and/or Bald Eagle Lake. I'm less than 2 miles from either launch ramps. I was thinking about getting a 16 or 17' open bow. I imagine a aluminum fishing boat wouldn't be a problem, but not fancy or fast enough.

Think I can pull it off?

Side note: any connection to the dealership (happens to be where I picked mine up)?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts