Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Members,
I joined this forum so that i can get expert advice from fellow members on how to proceed next.
Below is my case.

Car : 2011 Tucson - GL (2.0 L) - Base Model
Engine Mileage : 60 K miles driven

A week before , i took my car for an engine oil change to a leading lube oil company.
They changed the oil and i didnt use the car for few days after.(Car was in my parking lot for few days)
Then when i was driving car for work, car broke down on the street with some strange knocking\tap tap sounds and burning smell.
A lot of oil pool wad found on the road where the car died and when i opened the bonet, saw oil spill below the engine.
Came to know from a mechanic (paserby) that the Oil Drain plug fell of while driving and when i checked oil dip stick there was no oil left.

I towed the vehicle to this leading lube oil company and informed them on what happened. They gave me a rental car.
Yesterday they informed me that the engine is wrecked and they are going to replace the motor.
They told that they found an used engine which has run for 35K miles and has warranty. When i further enuired about the waranty details, they told
that they dont have that information yet (as they are still procuring it from somewhere else and engine swap will be done from another shop, since they dont do engine swaps).
I continue to be in limbo.

Below are my questions:

1. When they say, the new engine is under warranty what finer details i need to ensure that my car drives good for the rest of it's life after the engine swap?
(They may ask me to sign some document's on the engine swap , so i should ensure the right details are there in the document before signing)

2. Not sure if carfax/autocheck value on the car will take a hit if an engine swap is done, can some one confirm?

3. I learned that VIN# doesn't change but If the engine changes, but will it affect some other details on the car?

4. When the new engine is installed, what finer details should i ensure from the auto body shop that swaps the new engine?

5. Can my insurance company help in this case and if yes, how?

Thanks,
AKutan

·
Registered
414 Posts
1. The new engine will have a warranty on it. Maybe 3 months, 6 or 12. You don't have to sign anything.
2. No hit
3. You may need to update your states car rego office with the new engine number.
4. Just the new engine number and that the drain plug is tight
5. No. Just inform them of the new engine number

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Oscar, My particular is in point 1,4 and still i am concerned. Also i have 1 more question

1. A certified warrantied engine in the sense doesn't have Metal particles inside it, No Bearing overlay, oil inside it has been blackstone tested, Compression Tested, is not part of any recall and has end to end drive train warranty?
Will the certification of an engine go into the details of what is warranty covered vs not?
I do not have the info now on how many months/years they are going to cover the warranty but is it worth a shot asking for 5 years?

4. The auto body shop who performs the engine swap should also confirm that they warranty the workmanship on replacing the engine and any future issues (Like a check engine light) arising out of the engine swap but not related to the actual engine they will fix free of cost?
(Can other parts of the car like Catalytic Converter, transmission, axle etc.. go bad due to an engine swap?)

6. In future if i am selling the car, if i reveal that there was an engine swap will it affect the KBB value of the car?

Thanks

·
Registered
414 Posts
1. You are WAY overthinking this.
4. Your warranty is with the lube shop , not the auto body shop
6. No idea. If you say the car has an engine with 25k fewer miles than the rest of the car, why would that be a negative? You'll have all the receipts to show.

Just get the engine replaced and move on...........You are stressing over nothing. You are lucky that the lube shop are doing this without a huge fight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts