Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 Elantra Touring map light (front seat overhead courtesy light) has a strange problem. It only works in concert with the center mounted dome light. The "door" switch in the center of the map light assembly that selects whether or not it illuminates in tandem with the dome light when I enter or exit the car works as advertised. When I go to use the map light as intended, as a reading light, say, in motion while driving, it will not illuminate. Someone mentioned the idea of the "Body Control Module" having an issue. Not sure if I want to run this in to the dealer for such a minor issue, but can find no like problem on the forums/web and it is a really annoying glitch.

·
22,793 Posts
:00000732: Welcome to the forums.
If you bought this new, how's the mileage? Is the original warranty in effect? If so, take it to the dealer. And it's not a minor issue if it is an inconvenience to you. Even the smallest nuisance can be a hassle if it drives you over the edge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Bought used from a local Chevrolet dealer with 43000 miles. I believe they used it as a courtesy car. In excellent shape and was purchased for loan value, which made me happy. I love the car. The transmission had the "shift flare" problem noted in another thread here and other sites. Hyundai replaced the transmission at no charge to me (still under base warranty as second owner). Happy so far...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fixed...

Took to the dealer; tech said the actual map light assembly was the culprit. Dealer had to order the part so I retrieved the car until the part was due in. Upon leaving the lot, I tried the map light and confusingly, it now worked perfectly. ??? Anyway, let the dealer replace the unit at the end of the week when the new one came in and works correctly as well. I will always wonder if the tech just hooked something back up correctly that had been either not connected or loose, and there never was anything actually wrong with the original lamp assembly. Hate to take the chance when the dealer says it is bad and is willing to replace it under warranty. Oh well... All's well that ends well.

·
22,793 Posts
Anytime you can get a new replacement for a questionable part, it's a good day. And if it's free, it's a GREAT day!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts