Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sonata will not start. It just clicks, I have checked the battery and fuses all good. It has the smart key which has not been working for sometime, I have ordered 2 new ones. I put the smart key in the slot in the console and when I hit the button to start the dash panel lights up and I get a click but nothing else. After trying to start it numerous times I lose all power. I pulled the neg wire off/on on the battery and then I will get power back but it still will not start. Any ideas? Will a defective smart key fob cause this issue?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got a 2011 Sonata and a similar thing happened to my wife last summer. It clicked, but the engine didn't turn at all. We tried a jump and no change. We were towed to our local garage and they replaced the starter. I heard there is a plastic lever on the starter that commonly breaks. Ours has been fine since the starter replacement. Other than warranty and wear items only had to replace the starter, the battery and the driver seatbelt (frayed).

Good luck

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
To the OP, try jump starting
If it works then you will need to clean up all terminals and grounding points

If it doesn't work then lever in the starter sounds like an option to explore
Do some tests to be sure before your replace starter

Good luck

·
Registered
408 Posts
Definitely start with the 'easier' tests like @avisitor suggested. The key fobs definitely sound like a possibility; can you even program them yourself? Typically smart keys require a specific programming tool.

Other things on the list could be fuel-related but your engine would at least try to turn over I would think. This is where I again hate the smart keys. Check for key on power at various points into the starter. Check for voltage drops along the way. Have your battery tested (starter takes a ton of amps) if you haven't replaced yours yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts