Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Sonata 2.4L GL A/T, 2007 Tucson 2.0L
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a common problem?

The right rear turn light housing has completely melted, plus the light bulb holder is all burnt up. I ended up having to fish the old lightbulb out with some pliers and understandably it came out in pieces.

Now that the taillight hole is damaged I can't fit another light bulb in there. There's also signs of melting on the other side tailight as well.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Is this a common problem?

The right rear turn light housing has completely melted, plus the light bulb holder is all burnt up. I ended up having to fish the old lightbulb out with some pliers and understandably it came out in pieces.

Now that the taillight hole is damaged I can't fit another light bulb in there. There's also signs of melting on the other side tailight as well.
it being hard to get in and it melting are 2 separate issues but also 2 issues that are common in the yf.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mine was melted a bit, the brake light kept going out often. I switched to LED bulbs and all is fine. One of the sockets doesn't fit all that great due to the melting but I have kinda fixed it in place and it looks fine from outside.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
The metal contact is thin and wattage too high...there is a bulb that's cooler. Sorry I don't have the number for it.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Wife does 100% city commute and this is an issue

Replaced with LED bulbs and no more issue

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I finally managed to get these lights sorted out.

It was a massive headache driving around trying to find used taillights that weren't melted. Many of my local junkyards listed the taillights in perfect condition, but it was BS since all SEVEN of the Sonatas I looked at had the same melting. I got lots of complaining from clueless employees saying the lights are fine.

I recommend anyone else in this situation to look maybe 2 places locally at the very most and if that fails, suck it up and just buy a whole new complete assembly. I found a new OEM assembly for about $140 and it was totally worth it to pay vs the wasted time driving around. I also removed the 2357 bulbs and installed 1157 led bulbs as suggested by others around the web.

If you're still determined to buy the lights used, be sure the brake light holder socket isn't damaged or discolored black. If it is, but you can still completely lock and unlock the holder in place, I'd recommend buying a new tail light socket assembly from Hyundai. Make sure there's no cracked seals either; I saw some with clear signs water leaked inside.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i just bought my 13 sonata not long ago and within a week i had same problem I bought a new harness from amazon but haven t replaced fixtures yet. Bulbs do not fit perfectly but i havent had much time.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i just bought my 13 sonata not long ago and within a week i had same problem I bought a new harness from amazon but haven t replaced fixtures yet. Bulbs do not fit perfectly but i havent had much time.
You can attempt to fit the bulb in by scraping some of the melted plastic away with a razor or carefully with a cylindrical file.

Don't wait to long to see if this'll work though; you don't wanna figure out the new socket assembly isn't gonna fit after the return window closes. I lost $60 on this debacle since I jumped the gun and bought a socket at the dealer assuming I'd be able to find a decent housing and just replace the socket assembly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can attempt to fit the bulb in by scraping some of the melted plastic away with a razor or carefully with a cylindrical file.

Don't wait to long to see if this'll work though; you don't wanna figure out the new socket assembly isn't gonna fit after the return window closes. I lost $60 on this debacle since I jumped the gun and bought a socket at the dealer assuming I'd be able to find a decent housing and just replace the socket assembly.
Thank you for the advise and i have done a little work and i have the sockets fitting ok. Not perfect but i can live with it until i have a little extra to buy the new housing! thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts