Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have new battery, Engine was just replaced at 106k about 2 weeks ago. Wife came in a few days later and said sound like the battery is dying. I checked battery at store...its fine. Worked fine for about 2 weeks, went to start it this morning and same thing....acting like a low charged battery. I put it on a charger for about 6 hours and same thing happened.

After it failed to start with a few hard slow cranks almost like a tight engine or vapor locked a few times, I stuck my head down inside engine and could smell a minor electrical smell....maybe the starter was just hot?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Possibly (if they did a short-block) they have the starter too tight to the flywheel?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
How long was the car waiting for an engine? If new battery was installed prior to the engine, it might be dead or dying.

I would check battery voltage before starting. I would check voltage with engine running.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't think it's the battery I think it's the starter. I have had to replace mine at 120 000km .The reman that is in the car is only reliable in the summer and intermittently won't start my car in the winter. I'll be putting a third starter in it before winter.

Installing a new starter is very easy less then 40 min start to finish with a hoist.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was the starter. Could not find where the coil wire leaves the top-side of the engine compartment, so I bit the bullet and pulled the starter, disconnected the coil wire and put voltmeter on coil wire and ground, pushed start and had 12v dc. Pulled it the rest of the way out and bench tested it on my vise; dead.

Called around two local Dealers wanted between $350-$398, Checked Rock Auto and they were ~175. Found one at local parts store with the OEM Valeo casing. I did stop by an Advanced Auto and they also had one...I asked to check it out and found when they terminated the load side of Solenoid to the actual Starter, there was a bunch of bare copper exposed....they clearly did not put enough rubber-wrap on the wire, they even put the wire on 180 out of phase...to the point where it almost contacted the 12v+ terminal. The guy at the counter thanked me for pointing that out and was sending it back. I left and went elsewhere.

Bottom line, I needed one ASAP, did a little haggling with the counter guy and he gave it to me for a bit over $200. Runs great after a bunch of M-fer's and SOB's trying to get it back in. All in all, its under an hour job if you have everything. I also had much better luck navigating it out in front of the radiator, instead of squeezing it out near oil filter lines.

As always, thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
New or rebuilt?

I wonder if the questionable autopart store rebuilds use the 'newer' starter lever that shouldn't break as often.

Hyundai Sonata: Starter Linky

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The one I purchased was a Re manufactured. I sure hope that original starter lever is obsolete and they only manufacturer the newer version. The funny thing is I just replaced the broken starter lever back on March 2nd of this year in the original starter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts