Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I did a fairly extensive search but came up empty-handed on this question. Hoping someone here might have the answer...

<blockquote>is there sufficient clearance for the 9mm (~0.4") move closer to front suspension?

If you can answer this question definitively I would be grateful. This is a very clean 2-year old winter tire/wheel package from the Tire Rack with under 8k mi. for less than 1/3 today's new price ($1,180.53 after Hunter Road Force™ Mounting and Balancing, shipped to my address) and I'm ready to jump.

Thanks for any input!

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well my little story has taken an interesting twist.

I went to inspect the package up-close and personal and found the wheel offset was +40, not +50 as I noted in the previous post. Tire Rack does sells two offset versions of the Sport Edition 5-spoke wheel, +40 and +50. Seller had said they were used on a 2007 Infiniti M45 which, when plugged into the Tire Rack wizard, returns the +50 as recommended offset. So naturally that is what I ASSumed they had.

Running the new numbers through the offset calculator results in the following:

[attachment=21671:wheel3.JPG] [attachment=21672:wheel4.JPG]

The additional tire width and LOWER wheel offset (+40 vs. +46 oem) will still fill out the wheel well by 5mm. However, rather than moving the tire/wheel closer to the front suspension by 9mm (0.354"), it will now stick out an additional 11mm (0.433").

So now the question changes to... is there sufficient clearance for an 11mm move closer towards the front fender well lip?

At first blush I think yes, but... feeling up under the lip reveals the inner liner slants towards the tire fairly severely. That's not an issue with the oem 225/45-18 tires which have a short sidewall that quickly curves to the tread, but *might* pose a potential rubbing issue with the higher, flatter sidewall of the further out winter tire. Particularly in a tight turn with the strut under compression, but I have no idea how to measure or guesstimate for that.

Care to add your thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
If you're not lowered you should be fine...

although, you should make sure the wheel clears the brake calipers... another member bought 17" wheels from the Genesis sedan and those failed to clear his 07 Sonata calipers.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ riceR

You know, that is one good piece of advice. I will admit that (once again!) I am ASSuming because the Sport Edition wheels are manufactured for universal fit and they fit over Infiniti M45 front calipers they will likely fit the Sonata. If they don't, at least some of the embarrassment would be tempered with the knowledge we got bigger brakes than the Infiniti flagship! While I'm not looking forward to climbing under in the slop to measure, I think I will. I sure hope you're right about fit as well, I'm at the point where I may just have to buy 'em and try 'em.

Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

I spoke with two TireRack reps today, on two separate calls. Here is what they said...

Rep #1
  • the lowest ET for 17" x 7.5" wheel listed to fit 2011 Sonata SE = +42 offset
  • 17" x 7.5" +42 w/ 215/55-17 tires = OK clearance, should be fine
  • 17" x 7.5" +42 w/ 225/50-17 tires = rubbing likely, may require fender modifications
  • 17" x 7.5" +42 w/ 235/50-17 tires = rubbing guaranteed, fugitaboutit
  • 17" x 7.5" +40 w/ 215/55-17 tires = rubbing likely, may require fender modifications
  • 17" x 7.5" +40 w/ 225/50-17 tires = no way
  • 17" x 7.5" +40 w/ 235/50-17 tires = no way
  • Sport Edition F7 17" x 7.5" wheel fit over 2011 Sonata SE caliper = Uncertain
Rep #2
  • the lowest ET for 17" x 7.5" wheel listed to fit 2011 Sonata SE = +42 offset BUT have sold +40 wheels that fit
  • 17" x 7.5" +42 w/ 215/55-17 tires = OK clearance, should be fine
  • 17" x 7.5" +42 w/ 225/50-17 tires = OK clearance, should be fine
  • 17" x 7.5" +42 w/ 235/50-17 tires = OK clearance, should be fine
  • 17" x 7.5" +40 w/ 215/55-17 tires = OK clearance, should be fine
  • 17" x 7.5" +40 w/ 225/50-17 tires = OK clearance, should be fine
  • 17" x 7.5" +40 w/ 235/50-17 tires = OK clearance, should be fine
  • Sport Edition F7 17" x 7.5" wheel fit over 2011 Sonata SE caliper = YES
:whistling: *sigh*

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not doing much at the moment so here's the latest. After receiving the conflicting info from Tire Rack, I called Discount Tire Direct for a 3rd opinion. Rep said "no prob" with the 235/50-17 tires on 17" x 7.5" +40 wheels. Actually, he said his reference suggested the max offset would be a +39. What, like 1mm clearance is supposed to give me some kind of warm fuzzy feeling? Jeez, 1mm = 1/32 of an inch, that's not exactly a whole lotta room. Besides, now I have three differing opinions. Great.

Well, as Dirty Harry says... "You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?" After all, this wider wheel/tire combo only moves out an extra 11mm to the fender lips vs. oem. That's not much, right?
[attachment=21844:IMG_0623__Medium_.JPG]
Maybe not, assuming equal tire diameters, but the new wheel/tire combo is also 1.4% taller. Specifically 668mm (26.3") vs. 659mm (25.9"), or 9mm (0.354") taller, which might come into play. I dunno but I've always been a gamblin' man, plus the price and condition were simply too good to pass up, so I decided to buy 'em and try 'em.
[attachment=21845:IMG_0620__Medium_.JPG] [attachment=21846:IMG_0617__Medium_.JPG] [attachment=21847:IMG_0618__Medium_.JPG]
After I got them home I tried to find the correct hubcentric rings locally but after more than a dozen calls no dice. The Sport Edition F7 has a h-u-g-e 79.5mm bore and nobody --I mean NOBODY-- seems to stock them. I finally rang up the Tire Rack and ordered (4) 79.5mm o.d. - 67.1mm i.d. aluminum hub rings for $5.00 a pop plus $11.29 shipping (UPS is the only option, huh?!). Total cost $31.29. These were the plastic hub rings originally supplied by Tire Rack for use with the wheels on the Infiniti M45.
[attachment=21848:IMG_0612__Medium_.JPG] [attachment=21849:IMG_0613__Medium_.JPG] [attachment=21850:IMG_0614__Medium_.JPG]
New hub rings should be here by the weekend for the fitting hopefully. Cross your fingers or rub a lucky coin.

To be continued...

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, they're on. Shake down cruise went fine and I can go L/R lock to lock without rubbing fender lips or steering/suspension components. The jury is still out how they will work in the rear with a trunk load of stuff and three kids in the back seat for the next college run. Or in front with wheels turned and pulling onto a steep inclined drive, etc. I'll report back with any issues that develop.

Before I pulled the wheels, I wanted to answer my original questions so I stuck a tape under the R/F wheel and snapped a pic. Poor quality, but the tape can be read if you look close.

Q.1) What is the clearance in mm between the front suspension and oem 18x7.5 +46 w/ 225/45R-18 tire/wheel combo?
A.1) ~1.0"

Q.2) ...is there sufficient clearance for the 9mm (~0.4") move closer to front suspension?
A.2) No Prob, lotsa room.
[attachment=21929:CIMG7824__Medium_.JPG]

For the most secure and vibration-free mounting of aftermarket wheels you really must use the appropriate hub-centric rings and clean the mating surfaces of corrosion so everything seats properly. I found a small palm sander with fine sandpaper quickly removed all corrosion/crap from the flat mounting pad on the wheels, and the sharp flat tip of the jack handle worked well to clean out the hub ring grooves.
[attachment=21930:CIMG7836__Medium_.JPG] [attachment=21931:CIMG7837__Medium_.JPG] [attachment=21932:CIMG7839__Medium_.JPG]

A bit of anti-seize on the axle hub, hub ring and wheel groove will keep the hub rings from rusting onto the hub. Not that the aluminum rings will rust of course, but they can be a real P.I.T.A. to remove when the hub itself begins to rust. Trust me on this, you will thank yourself in the Spring! I also smear a [very] thin coat on the wheel mating surface. Take care to avoid getting any anti-seize on the lug studs. Also, make sure you clean off any 'squeezings' once the lug nuts are tightened to prevent excess anti-seize from getting slung onto your brake rotors!
[attachment=21933:CIMG7822__Medium_.JPG] [attachment=21934:CIMG7821__Medium_.JPG] [attachment=21935:CIMG7841__Medium_.JPG]

Interesting comparison showing the aftermarket 17x7.5 +40 w/ 235/50-17 tire/wheel combo on the R/R vs. the oem 18x7.5 +46 w/ 225/45R-18 tire/wheel combo on the L/R. The additional tire width and lower wheel offset (+40 vs. +46 oem) moved the new tire/wheel out towards the fender lip by an additional 11mm (0.433")
[attachment=21937:CIMG7826__Medium_.JPG] [attachment=21936:CIMG7835__Medium_.JPG]

Here's the rear strut clearance (at R/R looking forward, lotsa room), plus front and rear caliper to spoke clearance with the Sport Edition F7 17x7.5 +40 and Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 235/50-17 wheel/tire combo mounted up (note: LM-60 noted in original post was incorrect).
[attachment=21938:CIMG7827__Medium_.JPG] [attachment=21951:IMG_0635__Medium_.JPG] [attachment=21950:IMG_0633__Medium_.JPG]

Finally, here's the new look road salt and all...
[attachment=21957:CIMG7842__Medium_.JPG] [attachment=21952:IMG_0629__Medium_.JPG] [attachment=21953:IMG_0630__Medium_.JPG] [attachment=21954:IMG_0631__Medium_.JPG] [attachment=21955:IMG_0632__Medium_.JPG]

Hope something in that info helps you out :beer: .

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time out to help everybody out with all this useful information that you put into this thread.
This will definitely help me figure out the correct offset and tire size when I am ready to new wheels/tires.

Aloha, and Mele Kalikimaka :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forum and a very Merry Christmas to you too!

I am quite happy to contribute when I can, and pleased you found something helpful in this thread. After a few days of practical experience with the new wheels/tires combo, I am also very pleased to report the following positive observations... with three good-sized young adults in the back seat and a trunk full of presents, there were -zero- rubbing issues negotiating the local highway, secondary roadways with our typical NYS DOT 'whoop-de-dos', or even over large speed bumps at my normal speeds.

So far so good, no red flags yet! :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thank you for keeping us updated. I was curious to see if the wheels would rub glad to hear that it worked out for you. :grin:
I also have a Lexus IS-350 with TSW wheels, so I thought that I would try out the TSW wheels that I have just to see what I could get away with.

Here are the specs on the rear wheels.

Wheel Size: 19x9 1/2
Wheel Offset: +35
Tire Size: 265-30-19

Here is the the Sonata with the rims listed above. The wheels stick out just about a ½ inch.:( I think if the wheels were 19X9 instead of 19X9 ½, and the offset was 40 that it would work and not protrude outside the wheel well. I looked at the suspension components with this wheel on the car and it looked like there was at least ¾ of an inch of clearance..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yikes! Based on the clearance of my winter setup, I would have guessed your swap was a definite no-go. Compared to the oem Se wheel/tire combo, your TSW wheel/tire combo will stick out 31 mm (1.2'') vs. my 11 mm (0.433"), or nearly 3x as much! Even a 265-30-19 tire on a 19X9 +40 wheel will stick out 26 mm (1'') farther than oem, more than 2x as much as mine. IMHO both will rub and have the potential for some serious tire/body damage, despite the 40 mm (1.57" or 5.9%) shorter tire height. You would not want to use that high of a rolling dia. difference anyways, would create havoc with ABS, ESC, EBD, TC electronics etc.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree with your assessment. I am going to order 19X8.5 wheels with a 42mm offset along with 235-40-19 series tires. This setup according to the offset calculator should leave me with 2mm more clearance towards the fenders , but will also be 2mm closer to the suspension components. This is based off the specs that you posted 17X7.5X40 offset with 235-50-17 series tires this is the information that I put into the calculator.

I have a GLS so the tire size is 205-65-16.

I appreciate your input and contribution to help myself and others on this board to make a better decision in regards to wheels and tires. I don't think that I will push the envelope with the 9" wide rims, I will stick with whats proven (your setup). :)

Mahalo nui loa

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
smooth1 -

Based on the tire calculator I think you are correct that your choice of 19X8.5 +42mm offset and 235/40-19 rubber is about as close as possible size-wise to my new winter setup. My experience with that to date suggests you will be fine for clearance in all directions. That said, if I were you, I would still search the various Sonata forums to see if anyone else has posted personal experience with that particular combo. Two documented success stories are better than one when it comes to plunking down the coin 'cause new wheels and tires are friggin' expensive! On a side note, of the two wheel pics you posted I prefer the solid 5-spoke in black. IMHO easier to clean and a slightly more aggressive or sporty (vs. luxo) look for my black Se.

The only additional caveat emptor I can think to add is that the tire size is not a very common one, and therefore likely to be a rather expensive upsize when all is said and done. Obviously, since the thread started about me trying to find a cheap winter wheel/tire package, it should be no surprise I can be frugal. Therefore, in addition to the best 'on-paper' plus size cross, I would also try to find the most 'cost effective' plus size wheel/tire option based on current tire and wheel prices. In the past, I have opted for a 'less-than-optimal' rolling dia./wheel width/offset cross for economic reasons (kinda like I did with this new winter wheel/tire setup). It really is amazing how shuffling the variables can effect total cost when considering all new components. Sometimes simply using a narrower wheel (say, 8.5x19 vs. 9x19), smaller (18" vs. 19") wheel or a slightly different tire size can cut your cost nearly in half while, at the same time, providing sufficient clearance and not being all that apparent once mounted on the car. Just keep the wheel/tire combo within 2% rolling dia. diff vs. oem and you will be fine.

Best of luck on your ultimate choice!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
good to see you got everything squared away... tirerack is too conservative on their wheel/tire combos. One of the reps wouldn't let me order 18x8 et35 wheels, so I said screw it. They need to cover their asses for liability reasons.

if you don't want to do a fender roll/pull/neg camber, the widest I'd go is 9" with the lowest offset of +38... but if you like the rims, roll/pull the fenders! :D

·
Registered
319 Posts
All, very interesting information, thanks. Some opinions please. Have a 2011 2.0T Sonata with the 18x7.5 wheel 48mm offset. Running the stock 225/45 18s. Am seriously considering some Enkei PF01s, 18x8.5 running 255/45s or 255/40s. The 45's are almost one inch taller than the 40's. Regardless, obviously depending on the offset of the wheel, they come in 48 and 35 offsets, they may extend about 1.1inchs further out. Has anyone dared do this yet? I don't mind if they protrude a little past the lip of the wheel well, personally think it looks good.
Thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts