Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2011 Sonata SE in March and have put a little over 2K miles on it. I have always felt it a good idea to change a new cars oil at 2K. I like to change my own oil but am having trouble finding a filter for my 2011 and would like to avoid having to pay dealer prices. Does anyone happen to know whether the 2010 Sonata filter will work on the 2011. Thanks--

·
Registered
258 Posts
QUOTE (Shoot2Thrill @ Apr 30 2010, 07:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318173
Can you buy it without the gasket? FYI there is a video out showing the location of the filter and it looks standard stuff so the dealer price is 2 - 3 times typical Walmart etc.. price.
So, let me get this straight, you want to save $5 on the +$20K car...?
I was always using Mobil 1 filters and they are all priced around $10 - $12, but it was too early during my first oil change to get Mobil 1 filter (Mobil didn't have a catalog update ready yet), so i went to dealer and got it from dealer. You have to remember that good oil filter is very important because it is responsible for catching all unwanted garbage...but it is your choice.

To answer to your question, gasket is taped to the box of filter, so it is already included in the package...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wouldn't change the oil earlier than what the manual says.
Well, for the first oil change.

Sometimes manufacturers add some additive in the oil from factory so the engine can break in better.
Changing it sooner than recommended date will remove the additive.
I don't know if Hyundai does it but I would follow the manual.

I also have seen some manuals saying "Do Not change your first oil until xxxx miles"

·
Registered
232 Posts
QUOTE (ula @ Apr 30 2010, 07:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318181
Absolutely. I would not give it a second thought. You have your experience, I have mine.

I have no issue changing the oil early either would do the same.

EL'ation - can you give me a specific example of the manufacture adding additive. Just like to see what actual facts you have behind that statement. Could be true but never saw a real case.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Oil change opinions are a very controversial topic. You will get people who adamantly believe their way is correct.

I have the opinion that engines dont take nearly as long to break in as they used to. After a couple hundred miles your rings are seated, the cylinder walls are sufficiently scuffed, etc. Anything that needs to be "broken" in is done pretty quickly. And since theres a chance that some "break in material" can get into your oil during that time, I have the opinion that an early oil change is the way to go, and its what I would continue to do.

To the guy wanting to save $5 on his oil filter...in my opinion, the oil filter has as much, if not more, of a factor on protecting your engine than the oil does. Modern oils do not break down nearly as fast as they used to, and with modern additives in the oil, oil analysis reports from places like Blackstone Labs say that a good oil is still protecting your engine after 10k miles. However, if the filter is poorly constructed, or clogged, you have drastically reduced the effectiveness of the oil to protect the engine.

Bobistheoilguy is an excellent resource from people who spend WAY more time than most of us thinking about oil analysis, and Ive seen enough conclusive evidence to satisfy any curiousities I have that a good quality oil fillter, synthetic oil, and a quick first oil change are the way I go, regardless of what the manual says.

One last thing to remember is that the manuals are created with the lowest common denominator out there. They need to make a statement that caters to enthusiasts (like us), and soccer moms who know nothing about engine oil. If you care enough about your car to use a Mobil One filter and a quality oil, you arent hurting anything by removing whatever "special" additives the factory put in there.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I believe others use Purolator Pure One (PL14459) b/c it's a synthetic blend media that traps the smaller particles. I don't know if the OEM Hyundai filter is synthetic blend or plain paper. I am using the PL14459 right now and will use the Bosch Distance Plus 3312 I got with the Castrol Edge 0w-20 special from Advance Auto for $29.99 + tax on my next oil change. I think that if you're comfortable using OEM, use it. Our cars will be fine with any decent filter used imo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For the oil change argument, there's a lot to be said for context. If you plan to keep the car until 300k, use the very best. If you're going to sell it off in a couple of years, the issues that can be created by lower quality oils and filters will not be apparent during your time of ownership.

I tend to replace cars every 5 years or so, but I have too much respect for the machine to pinch pennies on maintenance. For example, when you take those two Purolator filters out of the box, the premium filter is larger, and the media looks to be of a higher quality. To me, that means more filter area for higher flow, and better capture and retention of particulate. Seeing as I'm considering trading it on a Sonata 2.0T, it will be the next owner that reaps the benefits for the most part, but I know I did the right thing. Frankly, pinching pennies on maintenance is what scares me away from used cars so often.

To each his own.

·
Registered
72 Posts
For the oil change argument, there's a lot to be said for context. If you plan to keep the car until 300k, use the very best. If you're going to sell it off in a couple of years, the issues that can be created by lower quality oils and filters will not be apparent during your time of ownership.

snip

I second optfly comments.
My dealer recommended the OEM fill out at 1000 miles. I opted for my own oil (Pennzoil Sythentic Ultra) versus the dealer synthetic blend. Yes at $28 for a 5 qt jug its
expensive, so is my $25K Limited. I also asked Pennzoil folks about Ultra and the Hyundai GDI engine, they said it would be an excellent choice.
I provide the oil, Hyundai service folks do the labor and install a Hyundai filter.

If you want to really get into the nitty gritty of oil then the place to be is http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/, get a big cup of your favorite beverage.
Lot of opinions and you can ask where you can get your filter.

My dealer charged me around 5 dollars for the Hyundai filter, labor around 10 dollars, such a deal, and a free car wash. For that price no sense me crawling under the car,
I am getting too old for that anyway.

I plan to keep this car a long, long time.

Chuck

·
Registered
67 Posts
I going to have to agree that saving $5 on something important link an oil change is kind of trivial and may end up costing you down the road.

I'm probably going to change my oil at 1500 miles. I'll get the OEM filter and put a nice amsoil synthetic in.

From people who have changed the oil on this car. How hard was it? Did you have to jack up the car? What was the hardest and easiest part of it?

·
Registered
166 Posts
QUOTE (ula @ Apr 30 2010, 08:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318181
I was always using Mobil 1 filters and they are all priced around $10 - $12, but it was too early during my first oil change to get Mobil 1 filter (Mobil didn't have a catalog update ready yet), so i went to dealer and got it from dealer. You have to remember that good oil filter is very important because it is responsible for catching all unwanted garbage...but it is your choice.

To answer to your question, gasket is taped to the box of filter, so it is already included in the package...
It's a 20k car. 20k is pretty much bottom of the line for the category - it's not like we are driving 40-50k lexus and bmws here. You guys sure put a 20k car up on a pedestal. :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
I kind of had the same thought when the line was dropped. Frankly, I still have the same philosophy with my 66K list price BMW. Take care of the car, but no matter how much it initially costs but don't think because it is OEM it MUST be better or worth the cost.

·
Registered
13 Posts
QUOTE (jfulcher @ May 1 2010, 10:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318503
It's a 20k car. 20k is pretty much bottom of the line for the category - it's not like we are driving 40-50k lexus and bmws here. You guys sure put a 20k car up on a pedestal. :D
If you go to a BMW or Lexus forum, it wouldn't take too long to find someone there to say the same thing about a BMW or Lexus. "Only a 40k car, it's not a Maserati or something."

At the end of the day, take good care of what you have, or don't. Your choice. Remember, for some people buying that 20k Sonata, it was a bigger stretch of their budget than the 40k BMW was for that owner.

Again, it's all perspective. My lowly Honda looks and runs every bit as good as it did the day it rolled off the factory floor, because I'm relentless on mechanical and cosmetic maintenance.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Go to the dealer parts dept, and buy a sealed case of filters, they might give you a qty discount.

Might even have your sales person jew them down in price maybe... his employee price, you meet him in side lot and give him $10 for the deal and pay him for case of filters.

Best 1 I pulled was I got coupon for filters, so I bought (2) cases -- 24 filters I think it was, I was later told they lost $20 or so to sell me the filters.. They later started to print limits on their coupons.

·
Registered
258 Posts
QUOTE (Shoot2Thrill @ May 1 2010, 10:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318517
I kind of had the same thought when the line was dropped. Frankly, I still have the same philosophy with my 66K list price BMW. Take care of the car, but no matter how much it initially costs but don't think because it is OEM it MUST be better or worth the cost.
My comments had nothing to do with the $20K price, but rather with "Walmart" saving ratio to your asset ($5 in potential savings to +$20K initial cost for your car). It reminds me old saying, "you are saving pennies but loosing dollars...". I could care less about Hyundai Oil filters because i'm going to use Mobile1 as soon as they are going to have one for YF Sonata, but when i was changing oil for the first time, only available option for me was Hyundai oil filter. Now, if someone prefers to use "coffee filter" in his car, this is not my problem and frankly not my business. I was trying to help...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Millionaires shop at Walmart. Millionaires are big fans of saving pennies. That's documented. Walmart has great prices on Fram filters produced under the Honeywell corporation. The same people that make jet engines and avionics. Nothing wrong with a Mobile 1 filter or Fram. Cars are a deprecating asset and a liability. Cars are also a commodity, a machine, yes you can get passionate about them. The interesting thing about oil filter produced by any major brand name is the consumer does not have design control. Let's say Mobile 1 has the best filter in xyz size that may absolutely may not apply to size abc. I think consumer reports did a study some years back on that subject. Then filter companies can change the design of the same filter every year and they are known as class 2 changes which don't effect the form or fit and as long as they meet the standards of which they generally internally set you will never know. As you can tell I'm really not to passionate about filters just because the are a commodity. You get a reasonable brand at a reasonable price and bingo you are squared away. Along the same lines when you change your own oil two cool products are the Fram-sure drain and the Fumoto drain valve. I prefer the Fumoto but use both. The BMW has an hex head socket face down so it is easy enough, plus takes eight quarts of synthetic so I only do that about every 6500 miles although the computer would easily say 20,000.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts