Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh yay, my first new car ever left me stranded this evening. Best I can tell, the computer flipped out. It wouldn't turn over the car. It would try, but not only for 1 second and then sit there. I noticed the time/temp display wouldn't come on for another 30 seconds, which was very odd. After 10 minutes of flipping through the manual and hunting for roadside assistance number, I noticed the headlights (set to auto) were still on when they should've shut off. By the time the truck arrived, the dash lights would not shut off and the doors refused to lock.

The car has 56k on it. Its never acted up before. We had been running around with it all evening. When we came out of the restaurant, my daughter got a little impatient with the back door and tried to open it over and over while I was trying to unlock it. I got her to stop, and then she did it again. While she was getting in, I tried to start the car, and it wouldn't turn over. I tried again when everyone was in, still no go. So I tried kicking everyone out of the car, locking/unlocking with the fob and but it wouldn't start.

I'll report back early next week when I get the rest of the story, but its very disheartening. Sometimes, I really miss having a "dumb" car. When it failed to start, you knew it was something mechanical. With these modern cars, I am doomed to take it to the dealer when the computer acts up.

:(

·
Registered
920 Posts
Wow. Hope they find the issue and it's nothing very serious. Sucks it left you stranded but the bright side is it was in a parked spot and not while driving on a highway or somewhere. Hope everything comes out positive

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem solved - bad battery. Yep, apparently the keyless entry cars go a little nutty when the battery goes bad. And there's no warning or any indication the battery is failing beforehand. The battery light on the console only kicks in if its not charging, ie, bad alternator.

So be sure to carry jumper cables! The original batteries on the SE's are good for about 24 months. And then it won't start and it will behave as if possessed by demons.

The lady at the service dept says they try to check every battery that's 2-3 years old that passes through the service department. Thats gotta cost Hyundai a lot of tow bills!

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
they are clearly using inferior batteries for the OEM equipment. They should last minimum of four years. I just replaced the n in my daughter's VW - six years old and still fine - just replaced it because I know it won't last forever.

·
Registered
920 Posts
they are clearly using inferior batteries for the OEM equipment. They should last minimum of four years. I just replaced the n in my daughter's VW - six years old and still fine - just replaced it because I know it won't last forever.
Agree. My oem battery died during my last oil change and maintenance check up. Had my mechanic give me a brand new one for cheap.

Very glad zoom you got it all checked up and all is well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts