Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, a meeting got canceled at work, so I went to the Hyundai dealer to whet my appetite. I wanted to see if it was worth continuing to keep the Sonata SE on the list of cars to look at. I am going to give as honest of an opinion I can without comparing it to my Cadillac STS. It would be completely unfair to compare the 2.

1. Exterior (A-): I like the styling. The fang looking things in the grill are pretty cool.
2. Interior (B ): The cloth/leather seating was a little less than expected. It is not that comfortable at first, but you get used to it. The fit and finish is nice, controls are easily reachable, and it has most everything I could want.
3. Seating (B-): The only thing I dislike and why this is so low is the driver seat is up to high. I would rather be down another 2". I am 6' tall and it just felt uncomfortable for me. I did get use to it, but I kept trying to make it go lower.
4. Trunk (B+): I like that you can fold the seats down. It is slightly impractical though. The opening into the cabin is very narrow. I think I could get 2 sets of golf clubs in with the seats up.
5. Engine (B+): I am not sure what to compare it to, but it was able to move. It is definitely no V6, but enough power for my needs. Fuel efficiency is more important.
6. Noise (B+): It was actually very quiet in the cabin. I had the stereo off and wouldn't let the sales guy talk. I didn't hear too much noise.
7. Ride (A-): The ride in the SE was very smooth. I liked the tight steering and the feel of control. I can't comment too much on the suspension, but it felt very smooth and reliable.
8. Stereo (D): It had the Infinity Dimension system. Unfortunately, this is compared to my STS. At max volume, it is not where I like my music to be when I am cruising alone.
9. Overall (B to B+): I was very surprised at how smooth and nice the car is. It is smaller than my STS but doesn't feel all that small. The comfort will take some getting use to. If I didn't have the plush leather seats in my STS, I would think these seats are an upgrade. The drive was smooth and we took some winding hilly roads to let it go. I tried the paddle shifters but didn't like them. It is new to me and I was concentrating more on the car and the ride. I think I would get use to it if I were not test driving. The 18" tires are nice, but the Hankook tires are :unsure: . Those will need to be replaced once the treads go ($600 for a new set of tires). I could live with the stereo and all of the minor nuisances. It is a very nice car. It is definitely remaining on my list of cars that I will consider. There were only 2 negatives for the whole experience: 1. The dealer's imaginary $1700 worth of add-ons 2. the seat being too high. The first can be ignored because I would never pay it. The second would take some getting use to and would not take too long. I think I could lean the seat back a little more.

Required Mods:
1. Horn - I honked it and I think the guys on the radio laughed at me.
2. Head lights - Definitely need HID
3. Stereo - very unimpressed. I would get use to it, but no where close to where I like it.

The only way I would buy this any time soon is if I sold my STS outright and they have good financing like they have right now. If I sold my car and had the extra $2000 to put down, it would be considered. The only reason I would not buy it right now is the need to look at a few other models out there, no rush to get rid of my car, and no real incentives from Hyundai to purchase now.

For those that have it or are considering it, I think you are getting a great deal. It is just not something for me to bend of backwards to rush to purchase.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
With Hyundai, and the Hyundai Sonata, getting a great Deal was the main selling point. However with the lack of up front incentives,

there are no great Deals. As we have discussed before, you get it in the end with Hyundai resale value. I'd tell you how much this

hurts, but I also took 33% off the Sticker price on my last generation purchase. In short, I'd like a Car with special offers :thumbsup:

·
Registered
533 Posts
So the Se you tested had the Nav Package since I think that is the only way to get the Infinity radio and you felt that it was not that good? WOW! that is amazing. I have had some nice luxury cars in my day and I would put this Infinity sound system up against many. It has rich bass and very good clarity. OK, I know I have Bose in my house and had Bose in my cars so that should automatically disqualify me but ****, I think the stereo rocks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The SE with nav is still the Dimension system, it just has upgraded speakers (+subwoofer) and external amplifier. I think it may also have a little more wattage. The Infinity system only comes on the Limited.

·
Registered
533 Posts
QUOTE (vewdew @ May 7 2010, 06:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320692
The SE with nav is still the Dimension system, it just has upgraded speakers (+subwoofer) and external amplifier. I think it may also have a little more wattage. The Infinity system only comes on the Limited.
Oh ok. That makes more sense then. My mom has the dimension on her Limited without Nav and it is decent but noting compared to the 400 watt Infinity system I have with my Limited/Nav.

·
Registered
209 Posts
i am 6 feet tall as well and i agree about the seat feeling high. i was able to adjust it in a way that makes it feel lower, but it will still take some getting use to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts