Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new Sonata SE 2.4 with the Automatic transmission and didn't notice this during the test drive. At around 40-50 MPH, when stepping on or releasing the throttle gently, it almost feels like their is a mild rumbling or shuddering in the transmission. Usually when stepping on or letting off the accelerator lightly but sometimes it will keep doing it if you gently hold the accelerator. I'm not noticing this at higher speeds. Seems like maybe the transmission is trying to stay in 5th or 6th at too slow of a speed. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have not felt this in mine. My SE is only at 400 miles and I'm still "breaking in" the engine. I do know the feeling your describing because I felt it in my previous vehicle. It was exactly what you described with the trans wanting to stay in a higher gear at to low of a speed, almost as if it was bogging the engine for lack of better terms.

I would highly reccommend taking it in to the service dept if you have any concerns with the way its shifting. They will road test it and possibly do a ride along with you to reproduce the issue, it seems like its not a major issue but I would have it looked at if it were me.

Congrats on the new car and welcome to the family.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I am no expert on this, but Ive felt a symptom similar in other automatic transmission cars, and it was the torque convertor.

A torque convertor is literally a metal donut filled with fluid. The torque convertor is in between the flywheel of the engine and the input shaft of the transmission and is what allows a slow revving engine to stay running and not stall when vehicle speed drops, but the car is still in gear.

In a way, the torque convertor performs some of the same function as pushing in the clutch pedal at slow speeds on a manual transmission car. If you are in gear in a manual transmission car and you get to too slow of a speed, your engine will shutter and eventually stall. In an automatic transmission car, the convertor disengages and allows the engine RPM and transmission RPMs to spin at different speeds to prevent the engine from stalling.

Again, that is a VERY loose generalization of what a torque convertor does, but I have a feeling this is what you are feeling, and if so, its perfectly normal.

If course, it doesnt hurt to get your service departments reassurance by having them look at it.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Quit driving slow speeds in 5th gear... leave 5th for highway speeds where car keeps rolling.

I drive a M/T car and I know better than to drive 35-40 in traffic in 5th and try to accell.. select gear with engine speed more matched to vehicle speed in traffic.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Nov 9 2010, 11:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370144
Quit driving slow speeds in 5th gear... leave 5th for highway speeds where car keeps rolling.

I drive a M/T car and I know better than to drive 35-40 in traffic in 5th and try to accell.. select gear with engine speed more matched to vehicle speed in traffic.
This is why I wish they had made the manual available/option for ALL trim levels. The auto wants to get the highest gear fast for "fuel economy" and it drives me nuts.

·
Registered
349 Posts
OP does not have a M/T its an automatic as stated in the thread title. There really is no way to control the gears other then putting it in M and using the paddle shifters in the SE

I haven't really played too much with the paddle shifting since the car is so new but can we even put the car in to high of a gear or does it lock it out to avoid damage. I found out by pulling the + paddle to late that the car will upshift by itself to avoid damage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Nov 9 2010, 10:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370144

Car is an automatic. It helps if you actually read the post before assuming someone is less intelligent than you are. I've driven more miles in a semi truck shifting gears than you ever will in your whole life in a car.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Try trying the ECO mode off and see if that helps. With the ECO mode on it will try to get to the highest gear asap. May work for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts