·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
May's sales numbers are finally out and Sonata sales are zoooming mon! I'll bet everyone saw this coming after April's sales of 18,536 retail units. I mean really, who didn't think the 2011 Sonata was not going to break 20k units? In fact, Hyundai sold more than 21,195 units this past May and these are all retail no fleet to puff these numbers.

Two constants are now crystal clear; Sonata's stylish flash forward design is not only resonating with consumers but is now a rising front runner in a field once dominated by Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. In fact I'll take it one further, expect Sonata sales to pivot into the high to mid 20's once the much anticipated turbo and Hybrid are released.

Here are some real world comparative numbers of Sonata's growing sales below:

Sonata Sales Year-over-Year

Based on the average take rate my year end projection is : 220k units delivered

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah, but where the **** are they all at? I live in Chicago and I would think I would've seen at least a dozen by now. But I swear I've only seen about 5 or 6. Just today I saw a white GLS in the same lot that I was in, but that's about it. Better for me though, it makes more people break their necks when I drive by. :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Omega (nice handle :thumbsup: ) they are starting to show up in more and more places, especially here in GA, so enjoy your exclusivity while it lasts. The good news is getting even better as far as resale since, this is the first Sonata that needs no heavy cash incentives to move inventory over the curb unlike Toyota, who has to drop all kinds of cash on the hood of the Camry to keep pushing them out the door.

By the way, Camry's sales are off and so are their resale values by about 5 to 10 percent. Expect their year end resale values to continue declines. By contrast Sonata has continued to strengthened as demand surges.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Sonata sales supposedly rose by 93% in May. And even more amazingly, the Tucson by 227%. Hyundai is kicking some booty :grin:.

·
1,914 Posts
Sonata's were selling well for us but not at a fast pace...In the last 2 weeks or so, we have sold out of 11's(that's about 50 Sonata's sold) and we are having trouble getting more.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (HyundaiLvr87 @ Jun 3 2010, 06:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329114
Sonata's were selling well for us but not at a fast pace...In the last 2 weeks or so, we have sold out of 11's(that's about 50 Sonata's sold) and we are having trouble getting more.
Unfortunately, supply is becoming an issue. So, even as Sonata sales have climbed ever higher, availability of certain desirable trim levels will be difficult to obtain. Let's remember that production of Sonatas in the U.S. also includes Canada. Once monthly sales cross 25k units, Alabama's production capacity will have peaked.

·
Registered
133 Posts
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Jun 3 2010, 12:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329084
Sonata sales supposedly rose by 93% in May. And even more amazingly, the Tucson by 227%.
When they start supplying the rest of their lineup with the GDI engines, particularly the Tucson, Elantra and Santa Fe, Hyundai is gonna be the household name. I'm amazed how many I see now when the wife and I go for walks, etc.

·
Banned
630 Posts
I saw a silver SE yesterday made me sad...thought I was the only one in my hood with an SE...oh well

at least i'm still the only Venetian Red SE around my way :D

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hopefully we won't get sick of seeing them everywhere. People breaking necks are better to see than seeing a sonata at every corner at a stop light. Etc

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm getting to where I see a new one almost every other day. I've seen a lot of Harbor Grey GLSs lately.

They all appear to be GLSs though, so I can still feel exclusive in my LTD. :thumbsup:

·
1,914 Posts
I see the same 4 everyday, a base silver gls, pacific blue and harbor gray gls with pop equipment package, and a pearl limted. I saw a silver SE today and my uncle told me his neighbor bought a gray gls from my work.

We have a big order for them now but apparently hyundai has said it may take time. Just like with any other car, the momentum will slow down in a couple months. My dad is thinking of getting a hybrid in about a year.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I live in North Carolina and work for a Toyota dealership. The 2nd day I drove my Sonata to work, 2 of our corporate salespeople wanted to look at it to compare it to the Camry. Turns on that in April, the Sonata outsold the Camry in both the Raleigh, NC area and the Charlotte, NC area. Pretty impressive, if you ask me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The 2011 Sonata is a very impressive vehicle. I was seconds away from owning one. I do like the interior of my Fusion far more than the Sonata. I would have paid about $750 to re-upholster the interior of the SE if I bought it. Outside of the Honda lovers, I do not see any competition in the mid-size market between the Sonata and Fusion. Both are impressive vehicles in their own right. Pluses and minuses to both will determine which one you will buy most likely.

Accord: For the Honda lovers that nothing will change their mind
Camry: Mobile death trap with poor design and aesthetics
Malibu: Goodbye GM
Kizashi: Very sporty. I don't think anything competes in the sporty mid-size class. Still a Suzuki though
Optima: Is there a new one coming?
Fusion: I think the interior is better and more comfortable. It is what sold me to go that route. Everything else being pretty equal except MPG
Sonata: By far 1a/1b at the top of the mid-size segment
BMW/Mercedes/Audi/Volvo/Lexus/Infiniti: Outclass this whole segment, but command a $10k premium. Sonata comes closest to getting to this level.

Enjoy your Sonatas. It is a great car. I am sure I enjoy my Fusion (and the new windshield) as much as you enjoy your Sonatas.

·
1,914 Posts
The Kizashi is an excellent car and it's a shame suzuki is where hyundai was about 15 years ago. The XL7 was a stretched Equinox, while not bad just didn't sell. The SX4 hatchs don't sell like they did when they came out and the sedans don't sell that well at all, we practically gave away our last 3 09's a couple months ago. The Kizashi is the first suzuki I would consider owning. I love the Lexus ES gages and the nicer Jetta front end.

The Sonata is going to have some big competition from the Optima. Have you seen photos of it? It's an amazing looking car.

·
Registered
172 Posts
QUOTE (BigRedNole @ Jun 5 2010, 08:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330125
The 2011 Sonata is a very impressive vehicle. I was seconds away from owning one. I do like the interior of my Fusion far more than the Sonata. I would have paid about $750 to re-upholster the interior of the SE if I bought it. Outside of the Honda lovers, I do not see any competition in the mid-size market between the Sonata and Fusion. Both are impressive vehicles in their own right. Pluses and minuses to both will determine which one you will buy most likely.
The Ford Fusion was actually one of the cars I was seriously considering. I've always been a Ford fan, I've owned 2 Rangers, a Bronco, a ZX2, a Freestyle and a Mustang GT. I liked them all (especially the 'Stang, minus it's impracticality), but I have to ask... How much did you pay for your Fusion to get any where near the options available on a Sonata? I have an SE, and to get 18" wheels on a Fusion, it's either an option ($2000) or you have to go for the Sport package that starts at $26K+. I'm not knocking your decision, I actually really like the new Fusion, I guess my biggest question is why you would have gotten a Sonata SE re-upholstered?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts