Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings

I was online at my dealers website to schedule my next service and I decided to browse their inventory.
When we bought our Limited .in late Aug , they had 6 Sonatas on the lot.
Now they have 30 and the MSRP has increased over $1K.
Our car , White Limited no nav , was $25,295 now its $26,315 .

·
Registered
533 Posts
I think the 26,315 sounds about right because when I bought my mom's car in March, limited no nav it was 26,215 which depending on mats and iPod cable makes it correct. Your price in the 25's sounds low.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Prices have gone up across the board because of the "Cash for Clunkers" program last year. There is a shortage of good used cars on the market. Last I heard the prices were up 30%. This also pushes up the prices of new cars. It is all a matter of supply and demand. Your government tax dollars at work. Ain't Amerika grand?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (rmissourimule @ Oct 2 2010, 09:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360346
Prices have gone up across the board because of the "Cash for Clunkers" program last year. There is a shortage of good used cars on the market. Last I heard the prices were up 30%. This also pushes up the prices of new cars. It is all a matter of supply and demand. Your government tax dollars at work. Ain't Amerika grand?

LOL pretty thin logic there, in fact I cant even see it. I very much doubt the fact that a bunch of near-junk cars are off the market last year has anything to do with a recent price increase on the Sonata. Supply and demand? Yeah, the whole point of the c-f-c program was to stimulate the new car market IN GENERAL and clean up the environment. But a RECENT price increase? Perhaps its due to the fact that the SONATA ITSELF is under very high demand due to getting more and more awesome reviews. Plus the more people see them on the street, the more people who want them.

I also noticed a price rise on the www.truecar.com pricing. When I first ran it for two zip codes about 70 miles apart (Indianapolis and Terre Haute) about a month ago, there were dealers willing to go $1200 under invoice. Now its about half that.

Is it the big bad government, or just the fact that the Sonata is an awesome car, getting more and more awesome reviews, and people are getting Hyundai lust seeing them on the street?

·
Registered
486 Posts
With the popularity of the Sonata, I see the factory still loading up the cars at the port with every little accessory that they have. The dealers also adding their little add on MSRP stickers for additional mark ups of 1 to 4K. Still everything is negotiable.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Most of the dealers in our area (western WA state) are adding their ADP (additional dealer profit) or adjusted market value (same thing more profit) stickers. The one that I ignored on mine was $2,000 above sticker. I pretty much told the dealer to shove that up his *** and started negotiating down from the actual sticker price.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Price always depends on market conditions (supply/demand). I used this Midwest dealer as a gage of what my dealer could charge and still make some profit. His prices have not changed much from when i bought my car in late April. Nice guy to talk to also...

http://www.bobpoynterchrysler.com/sonota.aspx

·
Registered
533 Posts
To the OP, I just looked at my window sticker and my car was 28,250 with destination, mats, ipod cable. Just priced it on the Hyundai site and it is exactly the same price. No increase! Not disputing what you are saying just presenting factual information. Not saying that the dealers add extra fees and charges but Hyundai has not had a price increase.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (Bingo Steve @ Oct 2 2010, 05:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360416
To the OP, I just looked at my window sticker and my car was 28,250 with destination, mats, ipod cable. Just priced it on the Hyundai site and it is exactly the same price. No increase! Not disputing what you are saying just presenting factual information. Not saying that the dealers add extra fees and charges but Hyundai has not had a price increase.

The price your are talking about is the TOTAL PRICE not the MSRP.
The MSRP is the first price in the upper right hand corner of the sticker.
After that you have ADDED FEATURES and then INLAND FRIEGHT and HANDLING for the TOTAL PRICE.
MY MSRP was $25,295.
The dealer website lists the MSRP for the same LIminted at $26,315.
Phttp://www.elhartnissanhyundai.com/new-inventory/index.htm?invtype=new&reset=InventoryListing&SByear=2011&SBmake=Hyundai&SBmodel=Sonata&SBprice=clearaint and all the options plus frieght are extra.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't think the sticker price has changed. MSRP of a Limited, non-nav has been $25, 295 since the beginning. Here's a link to an early press release announcing pricing. Add in $720 for destination charge and you get $26, 015. Throw in floor mats, iPod cable, etc and the usual sticker price is $26,200 or $26,300 or so.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
QUOTE (robspeedGLS @ Oct 2 2010, 10:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360354
LOL pretty thin logic there, in fact I cant even see it. I very much doubt the fact that a bunch of near-junk cars are off the market last year has anything to do with a recent price increase on the Sonata. Supply and demand? Yeah, the whole point of the c-f-c program was to stimulate the new car market IN GENERAL and clean up the environment. But a RECENT price increase? Perhaps its due to the fact that the SONATA ITSELF is under very high demand due to getting more and more awesome reviews. Plus the more people see them on the street, the more people who want them.

I also noticed a price rise on the www.truecar.com pricing. When I first ran it for two zip codes about 70 miles apart (Indianapolis and Terre Haute) about a month ago, there were dealers willing to go $1200 under invoice. Now its about half that.

Is it the big bad government, or just the fact that the Sonata is an awesome car, getting more and more awesome reviews, and people are getting Hyundai lust seeing them on the street?
I wasn't blowing smoke. Some statistics pointed to a 30% increase in used car prices due almost entirely to the Cash for Clunkers program. I didn't make that up out of thin air. That little gem cost us taxpayers $3 billion to move purchases forward to people who were going to buy anyway. As soon as it ended, sales fell off the table. The same thing happened with the homebuyer tax credit of $8,000. There is no free lunch. However, in the case of the home situation we have such a huge glut of homes on the market and no end in sight to see the market clear we may not know for 4 or 5 years what the bottom of the market is.

http://hotair.com/greenroom/archives/2009/...ving-up-prices/

That said, there is no question but that the prices of Sonatas have gone up in part due to their greater appeal. It is called the "Law of Supply and Demand." But recently I looked around for a good 2009 or 2010 Limited for a relative and they were getting snapped up like hot cakes. I'd call the dealer or look at the inventory and find out someone bought it the night before. A year ago the lots were filled up with them and tremendous deals could be had. Try finding one now and compare the prices to what they fetched a year ago. Not everyone wants the new styling. For me I prefer the older styling due to my height. That's why I weighed the Azera which has not been changed. A year ago I could have bought a 2009 Limited in Dallas for $16,500 with 13,000 miles. Try finding one now with low mileage. A year ago I could make the dealer jump through hoops for my business. Today they will give me the bum's rush. A year ago I could have bought a brand new 2009 Limited for slightly over $20K. Look at the inventory of any Hyundai dealer today and if you can still find one (they are still available), and look at the prices now.

There is no question but that when a large number of used vehicles are suddenly taken off the market and literally destroyed that the price of the remaining used vehicles and new vehicles will go up. We can all remember when homes were bought by putting names in a lottery. Today you can have a pick of homes in whole neighborhoods where 1/2 of the homes are in foreclosure. Tell me that didn't push down the price of those homes. Again, it is the iron law of supply and demand. When I last checked the supply of Hyundais was 32 days supply as of August, 2010. A normal desirable inventory level is 60 days.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I get the logic of people paying more depending on supply and demand, but I don't see a link to the MSRP. MSRPs don't adjust during the year based on supply and demand. MSRPs change from year to year, but they don't change during the model year, at least I sure can't remember ever seeing that happen (unless there is some type of mid-year refresh to the car). Now, what the car actually sells for will definitely change based on supply and demand. In other words, depending on the supply and demand, a dealer may be willing to negotiate down a decent amount (if there is a large supply and they need to move inventory), or may try to put an additional "charge" on top of the MSRP for a hard to get car. But the MSRP stays the same.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Well, I recently looked at some Kia optimas near where I live which is the rough equivalent of the Sonata. 2010 model. If I recall correctly, they had an additional mark-up of about $1,950 over the MRSP. The salesman was quick to point out that I should ignore that. It has been my experience that these don't go on cars if the dealers are trying to "move iron." This is a load of bull to get gullible buyers to believe they are getting some kind of deal and believe me there are a lot of gullible people out there who will pay outrageous prices because they don't have a clue about the margins built into vehicles. When I bought my 2009 Sonata the dealer sent me an e-mail telling me that there was a $3,500 rebate and we worked down from there. And I came within an inch of walkng out the door even then. But my wife wanted the car so we did the deal. It's been a very good car.

Another factor to consider is that dealers get manufacturer incentives so sometimes they will deal even to the point of losing money on the transaction because the bottom line profit on meeting that quota vastly exceeds the loss. Occasionally it is a loss leader to get you in the store. I see today that Wal-Mart is going to start offering $2 generic drugs. They obviously can't make any money on those drugs but they can clean up with all of the other stuff that they are raking enormous profits from.

But getting back to the car business, the real money is on the used car line and the service department. If you can't get a good trade-in it simply isn't in anyone's interest to buy the car. Very few people go into a car dealership without having the problem of disposal of their used vehicle and that's where the dealer has most people over a barrel.

·
Registered
472 Posts
QUOTE (dynamike @ Oct 2 2010, 06:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360317
Greetings

I was online at my dealers website to schedule my next service and I decided to browse their inventory.
When we bought our Limited .in late Aug , they had 6 Sonatas on the lot.
Now they have 30 and the MSRP has increased over $1K.
Our car , White Limited no nav , was $25,295 now its $26,315 .

That is the price without destination. The price is exactly what my MSRP was. There has been no change in price.

·
Registered
31 Posts
QUOTE (robspeedGLS @ Oct 2 2010, 11:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360354

Boy, that Kool-Aid is great stuff, isn't it!

·
Registered
136 Posts
QUOTE (dynamike @ Oct 2 2010, 05:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360420
The price your are talking about is the TOTAL PRICE not the MSRP.
The MSRP is the first price in the upper right hand corner of the sticker.
After that you have ADDED FEATURES and then INLAND FRIEGHT and HANDLING for the TOTAL PRICE.
MY MSRP was $25,295.
The dealer website lists the MSRP for the same LIminted at $26,315.
Phttp://www.elhartnissanhyundai.com/new-inventory/index.htm?invtype=new&reset=InventoryListing&SByear=2011&SBmake=Hyundai&SBmodel=Sonata&SBprice=clearaint and all the options plus frieght are extra.
The dealer websites quote the "Total MSRP" which includes freight and options. This is the same exact price that the Hyundaiusa.com website quotes if you configure a car with options. The base MSRP remains the same for a given version. If you look at the website you posted, nearly all of the Limiteds have different MSRPs listed which is due to their different option packages. I know our car was listed on the dealers website with the "Total Price" of $28,430, including all options and freight, as the MSRP, however the base MSRP on the sticker is $25,295.
Let's use the white Limited you mentioned as an example:
2011 Sonata Limited MSRP $25,295
Pearl White paint $200
Floor Mats $100
Inland Freight & Handling $720
Total MSRP $26,315

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys...I feel like a fool.
I should have noticed the different MSRP's at the dealers web site right away.
I stand corrected .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts