Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'm new to this site, and I have been trying so hard to get this issue sorted out. Hopefully someone has some advice for me.

For the past year and a half or so, I've had the same issue with my radio where sometimes if I hit a bump or the car gets jostled in any sort of way, my radio will go out. This goes for my radio, bluetooth, basically all sound. It's the weirdest thing. It's almost as if something is loose behind the stereo. Because it used to be if I were to bang on the dashboard, the radio would come back on, but if I hit a pothole, any sort of bump, the music would just stop. It'll sometimes gurgle and sound like static and then slowly go out. Other times, it just straight up won't come back on for a while. And then, if I put my car into park, it'll pop back on! I have no idea what could be causing this issue. Please help!

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I would attempt to pull out the head unit to see if anything is loose. It also could be a loose or cold solder joint in the headunit itself that is causing an issue. Especially if banging on the dash "reboots" it.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
There is a bad connection somewhere either a connector, shorted wire, or internal. Your title says "issue that cannot seem to be fixed!" so what has been done so far to try to fix it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a bad connection somewhere either a connector, shorted wire, or internal. Your title says "issue that cannot seem to be fixed!" so what has been done so far to try to fix it?
I guess I should've been a little less dramatic with the title, lol. I mean that I haven't found any solutions that won't cost me over $400 to replace it. I agree with you both in that I think something is just loose. Because yes, banging on the dash will sometimes reboot it. But it's to the point now where if my car gets jostled in the smallest way, it'll go out. I have taken it to a audio repair shop in the past, and they took a look and couldn't tell me what was wrong. Whatever they did must've helped however, because I didn't have issues with the radio for several months. So this is why I believe it's just a bad connection and something that is easily fixed.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Pull the stereo out and check all the connectors. Maybe just one pin is loose or pulling out of the connector.

·
Registered
67 Posts
im a car audio installer it is very unlikely that something would be loose it sounds like cold solder joint in the radio a wrecker may have a cheap unit you could try

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im a car audio installer it is very unlikely that something would be loose it sounds like cold solder joint in the radio a wrecker may have a cheap unit you could try
Thanks for the response! I'm not familiar with what a wrecker is...I know nothing about cars tbh lol. My boyfriend had taken the car to a stereo repair shop here in LA, but they wouldn't take anything apart. We tried to remove the stereo ourselves over the weekend, and we just would feel more comfortable having a professional take a look at it because it was hard to take off the dashboard. Do you have any suggestions of what to look for in a place that could possibly fix this for me without having to buy a whole new system? Because I'm noticing that some places that work on car stereos are refusing to take anything apart because they claim to not be electricians?

·
Registered
95 Posts
What hes saying is it might be easier to get a used radio from the junk yard. It does seem the factory radio has an issue inside it. Call junk yards locally and see if you can find a direct replacement. Swap the radio and start there. However its hard to say if its that or a loose connection somewhere else. Its cheapr to swap the radio than pay a shop to trouble shoot it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What hes saying is it might be easier to get a used radio from the junk yard. It does seem the factory radio has an issue inside it. Call junk yards locally and see if you can find a direct replacement. Swap the radio and start there. However its hard to say if its that or a loose connection somewhere else. Its cheapr to swap the radio than pay a shop to trouble shoot it.
Yeah, from what I've read, it seems that I'm not the only one who's had issues with the factory radio. I guess I can call around, I never thought to do that. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts