Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

Recently traded in my 2012 Sonata turbo for a 2011 Sonata hybrid premium package in sky blue.

Trade in:
2012 Hyundai Sonata turbo

Used:
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

I was having a ton of issues from A/C to no boost and I was getting around 22MPG on average driving around in Miami to include highway.

I purchased the car for 18K and got the extended protection plan to include tire and wheel protection. (Pot holes everywhere around here).

Total cost out the door was 18K

I owed 13K on the turbo which I received 16K for. 3K went as down payment dropping the price to 15K after service contract and whell protection with taxes I was at 18K.

The hybrid had a minor scratch in the front and the back bumper but it's nothing but paint scratch and a minor dent to the rear bumper.

So far I was filling up every 4 days at 6 tanks per month. A cost of $360 per month. With the hybrid I fill up every 7 days at an estimated 4 tanks per week. A savings of $120 per month.

Once I stop driving to Kendall for college a distance of 65.8 miles every two days out of the week I estimate to be down to 3 or even 2 tanks per month for an total savings of $240 - $180 per month which if 2 per month the car will literally pay itself since my monthly quote is $288.

Average is 32MPG so far and I drive spirited and started using fuely to keep track of actual MPG and cost.

Thanks for reading and I am enjoying my new hybrid.

-michieru

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
:00000732: Michieru

Make sure your car has this update as it will add a lot more spirit to your drive and tweek the cruise control.

13-FL-004
HEV MULTI-ECU UPDATE – VERSION 2

Description:
This bulletin provides information related to a software update of the following controllers: ECM/TCM/HCU/MCU/AHB/OPU by GDS Event#302, and BMS by Event#303.
This ECU Update will refine vehicle drivability, HEV transaxle shifts, and cruise control.
Applicable Vehicles: 2011-2012MY SONATA (YF) 2.4L Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV)

ECU Update

Every 2011-2012 should get it but you have to complain about hesitation and jerky behavior when the engine is cold. It is a free update that any Hyundai service can perform but some dealers will balk at giving it unless they can duplicate the problem.. It will give you much better performance and many better mpg.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/229-sonata-yf-hybrid/162191-new-multi-ecu-update.html

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I am waiting on the dealership to have a engineer on staff to perform the upgrade. I have a lady who takes care of thing's for me so I am sure the ECU upgrade won't be a problem.

I will update if the upgrade was a success.

-michieru

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just want to say that the update has been a major improvement and has improved my gas mileage by about 1.6 miles per gallon. The car drives like a regular gasoline sonata and although the delay is still present...the delay at low speed is hardly noticeable at all. At high speeds it is but you can adapt from that point. My main concern was brisk acceleration during city driving to avoid accidents and rapid changes in traffic patterns. I'm happy and my next target is the nav. Why is the update so ridiculous? Is it worth it?

·
Registered
920 Posts
A lot of people here on the forums and on other places have discussed updating nav and most can say its over priced. I agree just because update if you do it once in a few years but to pay every year or even 2 its too much. You can buy a Garmin TomTom or other nav for less with lifetime updates.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I'm happy and my next target is the nav. Why is the update so ridiculous? Is it worth it?
Yes the Nov 2012 update USA 05.04.13 is worth $200 over the orig Nav that we used for a year. I use a Garmin Nuvi 2595LM in my Santa Fe and it is very lame compared to the one in the Sonata Hybrid Premium. You get the added benefit of a large stable touch screen and the radio cuts out when it gives voice directions.

here is a slideshow of the update

Mapnsoft Map 2012 - a set on Flickr

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Considering it's the end of the year I think I would wait and see if they release maps and new version for 2014. I hardly use the map feature because I haven't been traveling like I have used too and hopefully in that new version they would update time to destination via gps speed and not predetermined speeds. Even my AVIC-F700BT did that and I bought it in 2009.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Considering it's the end of the year I think I would wait and see if they release maps and new version for 2014. I hardly use the map feature because I haven't been traveling like I have used too and hopefully in that new version they would update time to destination via gps speed and not predetermined speeds. Even my AVIC-F700BT did that and I bought it in 2009.
The time to destination is pretty accurate. I think that the map hadn't been updated by Mapnsoft for 2-3 years so they had a 6 week special Nov 15-Dec31 in 2012 for $99 installed by Hyundai. Give Mapnsoft a call as they gave me a heads up on that upcoming special.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts