Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had issues with a hesitation when starting off in their 2011 sonata. I have a 2011 sonata limited, in the mornings and sometimes midday when i put it in reverse to pull off it has a bad hesitation. Also happens at times when im i press the gas to start off at red lights. Just wandered if anyone else has had hesitation issues. I love my car all but for this problem. The dealer tells me that they have had no complaints and until they do, they can't fix it. The master tech at the dealership tested other cars on their lot and they all did the same thing, very noticable when putting in reverse. He says samething, until someone complains and the engineers do something about it, they can't fix it. Am I the only person that has this issue?

Further description .When I step on the gas the car almost quits, pauses and then takes off. This is dangerous and could cause an accident by not accelerating in time. This has happened on my car many many times, accelerate, pause or hesitation then the motor kicks in. When I asked the dealer about it he told me the motor on the car was probably cold, it does happen everytime the car is cold but at other times as well. This happens when the car is warmed up. This is very scary when you pull out in traffic. Anyone else have these issues?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't think my car has hesitated once since I bought it last July. Even in 5 degree weather, it's rock solid. I also can't imagine the dealer has the same issue with all their cars. Seems like they are just saying that to get you to stop bothering them with something they can't figure out. Did you actually see any of the other cars do this as well? or is this just what they told you?
Is there another dealership you can go to for a second opinion?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THanks for your reply. I bought my car back in March off the showroom floor. The master tec at the dealership told me he checked out 3 other cars on their lot and the hesitation happened with them as well. He said he was guessing that it was a delay between the fuel system in the trunk and the fuel system on the engine. This new design is what gives the car its great horsepower. He said the car was so new he would have to wait til the issue came up with hyundai engineers. Yes I agree with you he probably just told me that because they have no idea how to fix it. I love everything about my car but this issue. I will drive an hour to the city next to mine to see if they can solve the issue. If not, I have to say kind of disappointed. It's such an obvious delay,hesitation, pause between pressing the gas and the car actually responding that it would be impossible to drink coffee in the vehicle, which for us coffee drinkers is bad. That's the reason we buy automatics for smooth take off. Had hope that others had the same issue and it was not my car only. My guess is that if it is not an issue for many the issue for me will never be figured out. That's the disadvantage to buying a car off the showroom floor the day its introduced. I truly hope that I can find a dealer that will help me with this issue. I do not want to be disappointed with Hyundai, everything else about the car is above and beyond what you would expect in a $27000 dollar car. Love the MPG and the Horsepower that was my big draw to the car. I have 15000 miles on my car and at every oil change I ask the mechanic if they have resolved the hesitation issue and he says no. I have found other 2011 sonata limited owners that has put complaints on other auto forums regarding this issue, but it seems to be few of us having the problem. Glad your experience has been a great experience and thanks for your reply. PS new to this forum hope I did this right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2011 with almost 3000 miles on it. Not one bit of hesitation, ever.

But I have a guess. I did a little research on the "GDI" direct injection Hyundai used for its design of this engine. Very cool and allows lots of power and good gas mileage to co-exist. It has 3 "modes" the engine uses and varies the injection in each of them. One is used on first start up to warm the catalytic converter faster, using two injections per stroke. There is another mode for normal driving and a third for low load driving (highway?) for lean use.

I wonder if your car is confused about which mode it is supposed to be in and staying in that first mode? Just a wild guess, no idea really.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've had my car since April and have never experienced any of the hesitation you have described. The techs at your dealership are full of it trying to convince you that it's
normal. I have driven my car in cold weather and it always responded right away of the start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree. I've called another dealer and they said they will track down the problem and get it corrected for me. If they do I will post the results, just in case other people do have the same issue. Sure hope they can. Really do love the car. Turns heads, great horsepower and great MPG. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (lakebowenguy @ Dec 23 2010, 07:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382945
I agree. I've called another dealer and they said they will track down the problem and get it corrected for me. If they do I will post the results, just in case other people do have the same issue. Sure hope they can. Really do love the car. Turns heads, great horsepower and great MPG. Thanks for the post.
Lakebowenguy.. Have you an update on this matter?

I have the exact same issue as you and had the exact same response from my dealer when I took it back for the first service. The car is perfect they said. There are no codes. etc etc..

Ed Betty

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (EdinNJ @ Jan 8 2011, 12:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=388181
Lakebowenguy.. Have you an update on this matter?

I have the exact same issue as you and had the exact same response from my dealer when I took it back for the first service. The car is perfect they said. There are no codes. etc etc..

Ed Betty
No update to speak of here. The dealer still tells me no codes and no other complaints or issues from any other 2011 sonata owners around the country. I currently have 15000 miles on mine. Sadly enough it looks like I will be selling this car at 30,000 miles. Will drive it another 10 months and hope not to take a beating when getting rid of it. I am sure they are great cars but a great car really is no good if the dealer in your area won't seem to take the time to fix a major concern. Here in South Carolina my local dealer is pretty much making me feel like it is all me. I have owned many cars in my lifetime and this is the first car that I have had that I am told is normal to respond 2 to 3 seconds after you press the gas. The 0 to 60 mph in 7 seconds goes out the window when it takes the gas 3 seconds to realize your foot is on it. It's so upsetting to me I am at the point of almost laughing. I rebadged the car with no visible signs of the crooked H on it because I am at this point not to proud of the car or the dealer that sold me the car, and I truly hope in the future I have a better experience. I really am disappointed I love the look and options of the New Hyundais and future Hyundais so I can't decide if i want to gamble going thru this again or just going back to German engineering and the high cost of maintenance. At least with the German engineered cars, it is very expensive to fix but it can be fixed. I am sending good vibes your way. If you do get any help or they find out your issue PLEASE let me know and I will do the same for you.

Bellew

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have a 2011 Sonata (Nova Scotia) and I've noticed that slight hesitation when first pulling away on a cool morning. It does not happen if the car has warmed up for a moment or anytime after it has initally pulled away. Strange.

·
Registered
190 Posts
QUOTE (lakebowenguy @ Jan 9 2011, 07:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=388641
No update to speak of here. The dealer still tells me no codes and no other complaints or issues from any other 2011 sonata owners around the country.

Did they check the transmission? Perhaps you are experiencing the sticky 1st gear solenoid problem. Does the same problem exist if you put the shifter in 1st manually (versus in D for drive)?

Did they flash all the computers to the latest updates?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I kind of felt the same thing if I take off and drive it hard without giving it a few seconds of idle before driving on a below freezing day. And it has only happened once before I am assuming b/c I always let it idle for a few second at least before driving and rarely drive hard when the car is ice cold.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (WalkGood @ Jan 9 2011, 10:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=388696
Did they check the transmission? Perhaps you are experiencing the sticky 1st gear solenoid problem. Does the same problem exist if you put the shifter in 1st manually (versus in D for drive)?

Did they flash all the computers to the latest updates?

Taking it back this week. It's not the transmission it is more of a engine stall. I am experiencing with the ESC, im turning it off when I get in the car. It appears that that is helping it. Since at times it is worse than others. I will try to continue to remember to turn that off before starting. The electronic slip control could be causing it. Definately not transmission. I am due for an oil change, hope that they figure it out while changing the oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (lakebowenguy @ Jan 10 2011, 03:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=389054
Taking it back this week. It's not the transmission it is more of a engine stall. I am experiencing with the ESC, im turning it off when I get in the car. It appears that that is helping it. Since at times it is worse than others. I will try to continue to remember to turn that off before starting. The electronic slip control could be causing it. Definately not transmission. I am due for an oil change, hope that they figure it out while changing the oil.

I purchased a 2011 Sonata Turbo in November/2010. I notice a hesitation when I first accelerate and just attributed it to the Turbo since I have never driven a turbo before, but I guess now I know there might be an issue.

I am going to take it to the dealer and have them check it out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
QUOTE (lakebowenguy @ Dec 22 2010, 08:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382346
Has anyone else had issues with a hesitation when starting off in their 2011 sonata. I have a 2011 sonata limited, in the mornings and sometimes midday when i put it in reverse to pull off it has a bad hesitation. Also happens at times when im i press the gas to start off at red lights. Just wandered if anyone else has had hesitation issues. I love my car all but for this problem. The dealer tells me that they have had no complaints and until they do, they can't fix it. The master tech at the dealership tested other cars on their lot and they all did the same thing, very noticable when putting in reverse. He says samething, until someone complains and the engineers do something about it, they can't fix it. Am I the only person that has this issue?

Further description .When I step on the gas the car almost quits, pauses and then takes off. This is dangerous and could cause an accident by not accelerating in time. This has happened on my car many many times, accelerate, pause or hesitation then the motor kicks in. When I asked the dealer about it he told me the motor on the car was probably cold, it does happen everytime the car is cold but at other times as well. This happens when the car is warmed up. This is very scary when you pull out in traffic. Anyone else have these issues?
Are you positive the transmission isn't gear hunting? If the transmission is gear hunting, the engine will not rev up. Shift into neutral and test if throttle response (rpm) is immediate or if there's a lag. It should be near immediate.

Please tell us what state you live in because it could be anything from a software issue in the tranny or an oil problem causing your motor/gears to stick or something else entirely.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
QUOTE (dsx724 @ Jan 10 2011, 08:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=389461
Are you positive the transmission isn't gear hunting? If the transmission is gear hunting, the engine will not rev up. Shift into neutral and test if throttle response (rpm) is immediate or if there's a lag. It should be near immediate.
I've had the "gear hunting" lag once, but it was severe. I pulled out into traffic from a side street and accelerated hard to almost 6k in 1st, then let off the gas to let it find 4th or so. Right at that point somebody who didn't see me almost t-boned me. I floored it to get out of the way, and nothing... for about 1 second. Seemed like 10 seconds. Now I know not to do that..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (dsx724 @ Jan 10 2011, 11:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=389461

Please tell us what state you live in because it could be anything from a software issue in the tranny or an oil problem causing your motor/gears to stick or something else entirely.

I live in South Carolina. Hmmm from the way you descibed it , it could possibly be a transmission lag. We are covered in snow and ice at the moment as soon as things are normal and dealer is open I will take the car in again. They told me about a month after I bought the car that it was probably a software issue causing the hesitation but until other compliants came in and engineers came up with a solution they couldnt fix it. It is a very well known dealer here in Spartanburg South Carolina so one would think if they could fix it they would. It is not happening everytime the car is driven. I would say it happens maybe 6 to 8 times during a weeks period. Thats what is so strange about it. That is also why I'm giving the dealership an excuse, but the excuse is getting old. Still blows my mind that the same company that made my sonata ($27000) makes $59000 dollar autos and cannot figure out an issue with a vehicle they designed and made. Rest assured if I had paid $59000 for a Hyundai it would be expected to run the way it was designed to run with no issues. Have driven German engineered cars for over a decade of my life and while the German autos had many issues. The dealers always new the minute they put the auto on their diagnostics machine what caused the issue and fixed it. Ive never driven a car for almost a year (10 months) and have been told over and over. We can't fix it. I do realize that I am one of a few having this issue and many sonatas run perfect. But it does leave a sour taste.
Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
95 Posts
QUOTE (lakebowenguy @ Jan 11 2011, 08:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=389569
I live in South Carolina. Hmmm from the way you descibed it , it could possibly be a transmission lag. We are covered in snow and ice at the moment as soon as things are normal and dealer is open I will take the car in again. They told me about a month after I bought the car that it was probably a software issue causing the hesitation but until other compliants came in and engineers came up with a solution they couldnt fix it. It is a very well known dealer here in Spartanburg South Carolina so one would think if they could fix it they would. It is not happening everytime the car is driven. I would say it happens maybe 6 to 8 times during a weeks period. Thats what is so strange about it. That is also why I'm giving the dealership an excuse, but the excuse is getting old. Still blows my mind that the same company that made my sonata ($27000) makes $59000 dollar autos and cannot figure out an issue with a vehicle they designed and made. Rest assured if I had paid $59000 for a Hyundai it would be expected to run the way it was designed to run with no issues. Have driven German engineered cars for over a decade of my life and while the German autos had many issues. The dealers always new the minute they put the auto on their diagnostics machine what caused the issue and fixed it. Ive never driven a car for almost a year (10 months) and have been told over and over. We can't fix it. I do realize that I am one of a few having this issue and many sonatas run perfect. But it does leave a sour taste.
Thanks for your replies.
No problem, never buy new models that hit the showrooms. Wait a year or for the next MY to come out. I waited for 2011.5 and most of the problems mentioned on the forums are fixed. It sounds like the firmware running the ECU and tranny needs to be updated. I know the newer cars let the tranny lock go much more readily than the old one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
YES, YES, YES! I think I have the same problem! It feels as though the engine has quit! It always seems to happen when I'm trying to get a cross an intersection and, with oncoming traffic, the last time was a bit scarry!!! It's only happened to me 4-5 times. Had my Sonata Limited since about the first of the year. Dealer has it now trying to duplicate the problem. It does it without any indication that anything is wrong. Has anything been discovered as far as this problem?

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE (74scamp @ Feb 8 2011, 12:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=399655
YES, YES, YES! I think I have the same problem! It feels as though the engine has quit! It always seems to happen when I'm trying to get a cross an intersection and, with oncoming traffic, the last time was a bit scarry!!! It's only happened to me 4-5 times. Had my Sonata Limited since about the first of the year. Dealer has it now trying to duplicate the problem. It does it without any indication that anything is wrong. Has anything been discovered as far as this problem?

Ditto! I thought I was going to get T-boned going through an intersection. It's happened a handful of times and seems to happen the first 5 minutes after starting. I have an SE.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts