Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can help me out since I wasnt able to find anything online so far. I am a pretty handy guy, if pointed in the right direction I can pretty much fix anything.

Now ...

Driving to lunch today I pulled out on the highway and accelerated hard. The Sonata didnt want to shift higher than about 4th gear (auto trans w/ the "slap stick" that comes standard. I laid off the gas and the car seemed to be running fine at that point. 1/2 mile down the road the car just died. I pulled over the car restarted fine. At this point it didnt want to shift well and died a couple times. I stopped for lunch. Afterwards I took it easy, car acted fine. Outside of work I accelerated hard again and the same thing started again.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Hmm. Now unfortunately I'm not mechanic or expert but it sounds like maybe something wrong with the transmission. I would have the dealer or a mechanic check it out. Hopefully someone in the forums here that work in a shop or a dealership can assist.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do plan on taking it to a mechanic but I dont think it is a transmission issue because of the car dieing. I have the feeling this is a fuel supply issue. I am looking at basically giving it a tune up with new plugs and potentially fuel filter thinking that will do the trick.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I do plan on taking it to a mechanic but I dont think it is a transmission issue because of the car dieing. I have the feeling this is a fuel supply issue. I am looking at basically giving it a tune up with new plugs and potentially fuel filter thinking that will do the trick.
Your right, maybe could be. I over read the car dieing part.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I doubt the fuel filter is easily replaceable if there even is one. Checking for fault codes with a capable OBD II scanner will probably reveal the problem.

How's the rest of the car at 130k? I've never heard of one with that many miles.

·
Registered
169 Posts
you might have a solenoid issue, or a sensor issue having to do with the fuel pressure. these engines work under very high pressure and if any of these delicate parts fails, might leed to the problem you are describing. it should be covered by the warranty

·
Registered
920 Posts
you might have a solenoid issue, or a sensor issue having to do with the fuel pressure. these engines work under very high pressure and if any of these delicate parts fails, might leed to the problem you are describing. it should be covered by the warranty
His car would be out of warranty as its 130k

·
Registered
746 Posts
No fuel filter. Pick up pump in tank and high pressure pump on the engine. Idle has low demand for fuel and the more throttle the more demand. It will need a pressure gauge hooked up to first see if fuel pressures are in spec

1 - 11 of 11 Posts