Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my steering wheel was locked and my key wouldn't turn. On a lot of cars, typically you have to overcome the small amount of tension on the steering wheel and turn the key at the same time and everything frees up and you're good to go. Well I went to overcome the tension, and the steering column snapped. At that same time the ignition switch broke apart. I hot wired it by sticking wire into the ignition switch connector and I drove it to my brother in-laws....I replaced the steering column and ignition switch today but the car still won't start. I can't even get the dash to light up. it does start and is drivable(only by hot wire)... But I can't figure out why it won't start with the key.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,168 Posts
I can't figure out why it won't start with the key.
I think there can only really be two possibilities...either the new switch is faulty, or there is no power being supplied to one of the poles of the switch.

Hyundai ignition switches are usually a double pole switch. Basically that means there are two independent switches built into the one housing, and each switch needs it's own power supply. One half of the switch usually powers non essential items (like the wiper motor, headlamps, etc), while the other half powers the more critical circuits (ignition system, Engine ECU, starter, etc). It sounds like maybe your critical circuits half of the switch has lost it's power supply. Maybe one of the main fuses out on the engine bay fusebox blew when the switch came apart.

The reason the switch is configured that way is so that non essential circuits can be automatically switched off when you turn the key to the START position. That ensures that the maximum amount of battery power is available to the circuits that are required to get the engine started. Do the headlamps and heater blower work when you turn the key on? Do they switch off when you turn the key to START?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think there can only really be two possibilities...either the new switch is faulty, or there is no power being supplied to one of the poles of the switch.

Hyundai ignition switches are usually a double pole switch. Basically that means there are two independent switches built into the one housing, and each switch needs it's own power supply. One half of the switch usually powers non essential items (like the wiper motor, headlamps, etc), while the other half powers the more critical circuits (ignition system, Engine ECU, starter, etc). It sounds like maybe your critical circuits half of the switch has lost it's power supply. Maybe one of the main fuses out on the engine bay fusebox blew when the switch came apart.

The reason the switch is configured that way is so that non essential circuits can be automatically switched off when you turn the key to the START position. That ensures that the maximum amount of battery power is available to the circuits that are required to get the engine started. Do the headlamps and heater blower work when you turn the key on? Do they switch off when you turn the key to START?

The headlamps, heater, radio do not turn on at all even when hot wired. I checked all fuses and they are good. So you think I'm drawing power from the non essential side of the switch to start the car? It might be the when it snapped maybe it pulled on one of the wires and broke it. Could that be possible?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,168 Posts
It might be the when it snapped maybe it pulled on one of the wires and broke it. Could that be possible?
From what I can see in your photo that doesn't seem very likely.

If you disconnect the ignition switch connector and probe each of the terminals with a 12V test lamp you should find that 2 of the terminals light the bulb. Back probing the connector with the switch plugged in and the ignition switched on, all but one of the terminals should show light the bulb. And the one that doesn't light it should when the key is turned to the START position.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts