Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Sonata in 2015 with 89,000 miles on it. A few months after purchase I received notice of recall #132 involving engine failure. I immediately took it to the dealership to have it checked out. They told me it did not have the defect, so that was that. Well now, a couple years later, my car has nearly 170,000 miles on it and has always ran okay but lately it’s been making weird noises. Then yesterday on my way home from work on the interstate the engine started making loud knocking noises and would accelerate. I exited to the service road and by the time I was parked the engine had stopped and the car wouldn’t restart. Upon looking at the oil (which has always been regularly serviced) there was metal debris in the oil. I had the car towed to the nearest dealership which won’t be open until in the morning. What happened to my car yesterday is the exact description of what the recall said would happen if that engine had the defect. Also, the recall states that an inspection of the defect should take an hour, but when they checked it in 2015 they literally
Had it back there for only 15 minutes before telling us it was fine. So my question is, does anyone think Hyundai will take responsibility for the mistake and replace the engine at no charge? I’m sure they would if it was still under the 120,000 mile extended warranty, but do you think the 170,000 miles will cause them to say it is my responsibility to pay for? And if they do fix it will they issue a rental? I’m just panicking because I owe $2,000 on this car still and have nothing else to drive to work. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sorry but I think with 170K that you are goiong to be out of luck. If you had 122K or 125K they might have done it but until they get like KIA and offer the 15 years Unlimited miles there is going to be a lot of customers feeling screwed over.

·
Registered
283 Posts
****, over 80,000 miles later. So much for their ''test''

I would e-mail Hyundai Customer Care ASAP

Here is the link: https://www.hyundaiusa.com/complaints-lemon-law-concerns/

The e-mail is listed on that page.

Also, I don't mean to derail your thread but can Hyundai dealers do another engine test on my car? I'm sitting at 118,000 miles and I got the test done 2 years ago at about 85,000 miles.

Good luck OP.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry but I think with 170K that you are goiong to be out of luck. If you had 122K or 125K they might have done it but until they get like KIA and offer the 15 years Unlimited miles there is going to be a lot of customers feeling screwed over.
I'm over 150k miles and engine just started the tell-tale knocking...it was previously "inspected" about a year ago. Hard to believe Kia would go unlimited miles for this issue but Hyundai would not....eventually.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took my 2014 in a couple of months ago and it took about 15 minutes to run the test also. My car sat in back of the dealership for half an hour after the service writer took it out there, and then the mechanic got it to do the engine test. The only reason I know all of this is because of my dash cam. The lot boys like to play with the radio also after the mechanic is done with the car also.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata SEL
500 Posts
Sorry to say it but at this point you're probably on your own. But it can't hurt to at least try to get some assistance from Hyundai. Even a negotiated deal would be better than naught.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts