Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon. I am new to this forum so please forgive me if this question has been asked before. I have a 2011 Sonata Limited with the 2.4 liter engine. Right now it is at the Hyundai dealership having an oil consumption test done. The first 2 tests showed the engine burning about 2 quarts of oil every thousand miles. I have been told by them that while they can't promise, they said it is highly likely that Hyundai will replace the engine. What I am wondering is if Hyundai gives the green light for engine replacement, is there anything outside of what will be replaced that I should ask them to replace (at my expense) while they are in there? The car has about 190k on the clock. Thanks in advance for the help! -- Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Prepare to pay for that engine.
Why do you say that? I was concerned about the high miles but the dealership said that typically is not a problem. They just need to prove how much oil the car is burning. I suppose they could be trying to patronize me at this point, who knows. I wouldn't pay to replace the engine on this car on my own. If Hyundai does not take care of it I will just buy something else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
From what I've read they'll replace for free. The class action settlement dictates that they replace it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hyunda just approved the new engine. Now I need to find out what comes with it and if I should have anything replaced while they are in there.

·
Registered
856 Posts
It's a long block, so everything attached to your engine will be moved to the new engine, e.g. belt, pulleys, intake, exhaust, fuel pump, etc.
As far as having anything replaced, certainly depends on the previous maintenance. If serpentine belt "old" have them do a replacement, same as pulleys, if any noise have it done. Only problem with letting the dealership do the work is $$$$, so if you can do it yourself, better off, but if just a belt have it changed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts