Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Sonata Limited 2.4 GDI, 127,000 miles. Threw code P0014. I replaced the camshaft location sensor on the front of the motor. Ran fine for about a half a mile then a loud rattling developed in the top of the engine. Cleaned and bench tested both variable valve solenoids and changed the oil, really smelled of fuel and was very thin. Same noise. The check engine light does not come on and idle is smooth. I suspect timing chain slip or something in the valve train. This engine was suspect in the engine recall date range but was cleared by the dealer as not affected. Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
2011 Sonata Limited 2.4 GDI, 127,000 miles. Threw code P0014. I replaced the camshaft location sensor on the front of the motor. Ran fine for about a half a mile then a loud rattling developed in the top of the engine. Cleaned and bench tested both variable valve solenoids and changed the oil, really smelled of fuel and was very thin. Same noise. The check engine light does not come on and idle is smooth. I suspect timing chain slip or something in the valve train. This engine was suspect in the engine recall date range but was cleared by the dealer as not affected. Thoughts?
Sounds like it's failed now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your engine may be fried! I wold take it to the dealer and let them hear the racket. You may end up with a new engine.
I plan to visit the dealer today to arrange to have it brought in (tow). I have a video of it running at idle I can share with them. I am hoping 7K miles over the 120,000 mile warranty will be close enough.....
Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
It happened to me. The engine was fried and Hyundai dealer replace my engine and turbo at 104K miles. The starter went out while they were repairing and replaced that too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts