Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

we just bought a 2011 and when we are driving usually slow around 20mph it will just die and will not start for about 5 hours. It has been to the dealership twice and they don't have any experience with direct injection so they call the Hyundai hot-line. Anyway they have pulled the gas tank checked the pump and all the fuel connections. This thing has stranded us 4 times and we haven't even hit 1200 miles. It doesn't throw any codes and you can crank on it and it feels like it isnt getting any fuel. I wish we would have not bought this car. The stitching is coming undone on the console and the Air Con blows hot air for about 4 min on average (Compressor doesn't engage) but the dealership says everything is just perfect. Has anyone heard of this issue on these new ones?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wow that totally sucks that this is happening to you. Sounds to me like a total lemon. Are you in the States? Is this a Limited, GLS, SE?

I've had my 2011 Limited for more than two months now and absolutely no issues

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I would try a different dealer if this one isn't sure about GDI. Your warranty is valid at any Hyundai dealer in the States, doesn't have to be the selling dealer. Next would be to check the lemon laws in your States and maybe try to get a new car under the law. Unforunantel every car company builds a bad one once in a while includig Lexus, Mercedes, BMW and so on. No ones perfect.

·
Registered
49 Posts
QUOTE (2011POS @ Jun 13 2010, 03:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332612
Hello all,

we just bought a 2011 and when we are driving usually slow around 20mph it will just die and will not start for about 5 hours. It has been to the dealership twice and they don't have any experience with direct injection so they call the Hyundai hot-line. Anyway they have pulled the gas tank checked the pump and all the fuel connections. This thing has stranded us 4 times and we haven't even hit 1200 miles. It doesn't throw any codes and you can crank on it and it feels like it isnt getting any fuel. I wish we would have not bought this car. The stitching is coming undone on the console and the Air Con blows hot air for about 4 min on average (Compressor doesn't engage) but the dealership says everything is just perfect. Has anyone heard of this issue on these new ones?
I have not heard of anyone having this exact same problem. I live in oklahoma, could you tell me the dealer you are using, I may want to avoid them if possible. How long have you owned the car days, weeks. When the car was taken in were they able to see the problem and did they test drive car to see if they could make it happen again. Sorry that it happened, I have owned my sonata two months with no problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys i will look into the lemon law. i am in Tulsa and it is Don Carlton. avoid at all cost they suck from the very start of the process. he salesman was an ****, the finance guy still doesn't have Hyundai financing complete (3 weeks). Un-fortunantly they have not been able to see the issue after it has been towed. i talked to a tuner for high performance cars with DI experience and his bet is the computer so im going o strong arm them into that if they dont have anymore ideas. My wife routinly takes her car with my 3 year old on 5 hour drives to TX and we bought this to be reliable. The bad is we traded a 2007 sonata with 80k miles that was rock solid from day one except for the sun visors. i just want my 07 back. .

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (2011POS @ Jun 13 2010, 05:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332708
Thanks guys i will look into the lemon law. i am in Tulsa and it is Don Carlton. avoid at all cost they suck from the very start of the process. he salesman was an ****, the finance guy still doesn't have Hyundai financing complete (3 weeks). Un-fortunantly they have not been able to see the issue after it has been towed. i talked to a tuner for high performance cars with DI experience and his bet is the computer so im going o strong arm them into that if they dont have anymore ideas. My wife routinly takes her car with my 3 year old on 5 hour drives to TX and we bought this to be reliable. The bad is we traded a 2007 sonata with 80k miles that was rock solid from day one except for the sun visors. i just want my 07 back. .
I'd miss my 07 as well. :innocent: It's a shame when you trade a perfectly good Car with droopy Sun visors for this. If the finance guy still hasn't

completed your purchase, you can assume there might have been problems, and they have secured 'alternate' financing for you, and at a

higher rate. This is a very common practice when teaser financing is used. Be expecting a call within 30 days from this possible crook.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well They have it in the shop and they are talking to an engineer at Hyundai about it. They said they cant do any trouble shooting that the engineer doesn't recommend. i absolutely hate this car right now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
QUOTE (Big B @ Jun 16 2010, 09:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333636
Perhaps you should park the car on the shoulder of the road and pop the hood, bring a sign and a bucket of lemons.
Crap. I'was dreaming of 2.0T, but now I have to stick to my original plan to wait it out for a year or so. I don't recall anybody who owns the previous generation comlaining about completly dead car. Limp mode - yes, dead - no

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (Big B @ Jun 16 2010, 08:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333636
Perhaps you should park the car on the shoulder of the road and pop the hood, bring a sign and a bucket of lemons.

That is great. I told them today im not taking it back until it is fixed. So we have to deal with a elantra. I asked fora genesis 4.6 but they wouldn't do it. They wouldn't even give me an old sonata off the used lot.

·
Registered
55 Posts
QUOTE (2011POS @ Jun 17 2010, 12:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333674
That is great. I told them today im not taking it back until it is fixed. So we have to deal with a elantra. I asked fora genesis 4.6 but they wouldn't do it. They wouldn't even give me an old sonata off the used lot.
Wow, if they ever actually figure it out, let us know what the fix was.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Crap. I'was dreaming of 2.0T, but now I have to stick to my original plan to wait it out for a year or so. I don't recall anybody who owns the previous generation comlaining about completly dead car. Limp mode - yes, dead - no
I wouldn't base my purchase decision on a series of online reviews. Most people are having no problems or only minor problems with their Sonatas. And every car manufacturer sells lemons. It's very unfortunate the original poster has a lemon, but that shouldn't scare you away from the brand. There are tens of thousands of very happy owners out there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (sonatahyd @ Jun 19 2010, 01:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334366
I wouldn't base my purchase decision on a series of online reviews. Most people are having no problems or only minor problems with their Sonatas. And every car manufacturer sells lemons. It's very unfortunate the original poster has a lemon, but that shouldn't scare you away from the brand. There are tens of thousands of very happy owners out there.
This is true. I don't even think it is a lemon. i think it is a computer issue and the dealership not having any experience with GDI engines doesn't know how to fix it. This is our 4th Hyundai and had one Kia. Never had any major issues with any of them. I just don't want the exact car we have. The MPG is fantastic and it runs like **** when it is working good. It is a far superior built car than the 07 we had just has some issues that are pissing me off. And i didn't get on here to bash i was wondering if anyone had heard of this issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (2011POS @ Jun 18 2010, 09:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334349
i will it was towed on sunday and nothing yet. Im loosing confidence!!
You have shown more patience with a bad car and multiple tows than I could have mustered. I don't know the lemon law in Oklahoma, but in many states if your car is returned to the dealer three times for the same problem and it is not fixed, that is the definition of a lemon. And the problem with your car appears to me not to be as much a matter of inconvenience (which it certainly is), but of safety! Being stranded and towed three time is absolutely out of the question. If you stall, and are hit, Hyundai will be looking at MUCH more than a lemon problem. You should have a new, serviceable car--period! Hope Hyundai does the right thing for you--and quickly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well we picked it up today the dealer ship said it was good too go. They fixed some wires and other crap. Well my wife didn't even make it home from the dealership. And if you did not know you only get two road side assistance calls per a year and they start charging you for the tow. I told them i will leave it right there and pull it with a chain tomorrow with my 12 year old truck. But i have the # to customers affairs for my area and i am not taking this car back period. I will let you guys know how this turns out.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Wow, some very unfortunate results there. At this point, you are definitely in lemon law territory. I'd talk with the dealership/Hyundai customer service and see what they are willing to do (i.e. get you in an identical new car). If they aren't willing to do that, I would contact a lemon law attorney. Also, I can't believe given your issues that they would try to charge you for having it towed by roadside assistance more than two times. If they did, I would give that bill directly to the dealership to take up with Hyundai.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Sounds like you are getting the run around. Too bad you didn't road test it with the service manager. In the END, they will be the one being bit. If there is a next time let them prove it to you that is repaired before getting your RO receipt. Sounds to me like it should be easy to daig to what area the problem comes from since it happens often and fails to start for a while. In 3-7 minutes a competent tech should be able to trace problem to , fuel, ignition, injection, power feeds main computer components. If it ain't broke then thats a different story, but thats not the case here.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts