Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2011 Sonata (non turbo) with 140,000 miles and original engine. It had the recall check done on the engine around 15,000 miles ago and passed and got it's new dipstick. With this model's engine crankshaft issue and 140,000 original miles, would you trust driving it on a 700 mile round trip (CT to NY and back), where a good 3 hours is through rural upstate New York including portions with no cell signal? So far I haven't taken it (I make the drive 10 times a year) but was wondering if I'm being overly cautious.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Awww there’s no place up here on the northern frontier that’s so remote that you can’t make a call , walk to a house or someone will drive by in a short while.
It’s pretty much standard practice up here to carry some warm boots, have a long coat, gloves and even a couple of blankets in the car just to be on the safe side. They fixed the main cell dead spot 10-15 years ago and route 87. Besides with GPS if you broke down almost to the next town and didn’t know it you wouldn’t be walking back the wrong way by accident. I’ve seen that done before and 20+ below zero night though in the 70s
If it was me I wouldn’t sweat driving one of those up here. After all it’s more likely to die in your neighborhood if it’s going to die then it is an a long trip just by the odds.
The only time I ever got nervous up here out in the pucker bush was flying my single engine plane out over the big nothing. That’s when it gets real real lonely and nobody around for miles. For some reason the engine always seems rougher over boondocks and large bodies of water. At worst you might have to take a walk. Nothing to it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Same car and original engine with 162,000, I would not hesitate...I've done a couple 1 thousand mile weekend trips. You always hear from the people with problems, but there are so many on the highway that have had no issues.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Drove from NY to South Carolina and back with no engine or transmission problems at around 90k miles. I ended up with a cracked rim in SC due to running over a piece of scrap metal. Luckily I had a full size spare so I wasnt stranded.

Do a basic check of fluids and tires, and no check engine light is in. Make sure you have some way to fix a flat. Even at 120k miles, I wouldn't hesitate to do another 1,600 mi road trip.

·
Registered
286 Posts
For ever person who has a problem with a vehicle, there's many more who don't. My car hasn't exhibited any signs of issues by 77K miles and I don't expect anything (knock on wood). I'll be driving it to and from Pittsburgh every year for about 700+ miles round trip.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the encouragement. I'll try it once it warms up in the North Country. At 65 with two fake hips, walking to the next town would be interesting! Beautiful country around Tupper Lake/Indian Lake/Long Lake area. I should realize how spoiled I've gotten. Back in the 70's, every trip through there with my '66 Ford Falcon involved at least one breakdown. And the trips in the '63 Chevy Impala wagon with insane oversteer and no heat made me appreciate when I could finally afford a new '83 Accord.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Back in the 70's, every trip through there with my '66 Ford Falcon involved at least one breakdown.
And you're asking about a Sonata? My mom bought a Falcon new, it was a rattle-trap from day one. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I appreciate the encouragement. I'll try it once it warms up in the North Country. At 65 with two fake hips, walking to the next town would be interesting! Beautiful country around Tupper Lake/Indian Lake/Long Lake area. I should realize how spoiled I've gotten. Back in the 70's, every trip through there with my '66 Ford Falcon involved at least one breakdown. And the trips in the '63 Chevy Impala wagon with insane oversteer and no heat made me appreciate when I could finally afford a new '83 Accord.
honestly it’s kind a hard to find a place where you don’t have cell reception all through that Saranac lake region. You do have areas in certain spots but in the majority of even desolate areas you can get cell phone service anywhere.
As for driving over there I can remember when there were times when you were kind of careful whether you took your car versus your truck but today I just wander all over there driving my low slung Camray and don’t give much of a thought to getting it stuck. They do take care of the roads over there quite well and there’s plenty of traffic during normal hours.
Last week was the big winter event , Winter Carnival. Well ya missed that and so did I ( first time in many years )due to a couple big dumps of snow . Ah well.
So don’t be all nervous about driving up here during the winter. Just try not to come when it’s going to be a snowstorm and that’s pretty easy to do. Just remember by April 1 the great officialAdirondack Bird will emerge from its layers, the black fly. They’re gonna be hungry!! So bring bug dope or else. Also if you decide to come up and leave a moonroof open make sure you wear your seatbelt so they don’t carry you off for dinner. Come Memorial Day it’s shift change and the mosquitos take over......And your wish came in the winter

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
honestly it’s kind a hard to find a place where you don’t have cell reception all through that Saranac lake region. You do have areas in certain spots but in the majority of even desolate areas you can get cell phone service anywhere.
As for driving over there I can remember when there were times when you were kind of careful whether you took your car versus your truck but today I just wander all over there driving my low slung Camray and don’t give much of a thought to getting it stuck. They do take care of the roads over there quite well and there’s plenty of traffic during normal hours.
Last week was the big winter event , Winter Carnival. Well ya missed that and so did I ( first time in many years )due to a couple big dumps of snow . Ah well.
So don’t be all nervous about driving up here during the winter. Just try not to come when it’s going to be a snowstorm and that’s pretty easy to do. Just remember by April 1 the great officialAdirondack Bird will emerge from its layers, the black fly. They’re gonna be hungry!! So bring bug dope or else. Also if you decide to come up and leave a moonroof open make sure you wear your seatbelt so they don’t carry you off for dinner. Come Memorial Day it’s shift change and the mosquitos take over......And your wish came in the winter

I've experienced those flies in Maine. I dropped my stepson off a couple of years ago in May to start the Appalachian trail in Baxter State park and Oh my God. They swarmed the car and I was inside. He got out and camped. To this day I don't know how he perservered..

·
Registered
27 Posts
249k on my 2011. It often takes me to some backwoods spots in WV/Ohio/Western PA/Md from my home port in NJ. While the engine issue is always in the back of my mind it has not let me down yet. I now have to find some wood to knock on.
Id take it. I do have triple A as well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
When we go on long trips we always take my 240k mile 83 Caprice instead of the 65k mile 2013 Sonata. While a breakdown is unlikely, the majority of the engine seizures I've seen reported happen on a long trip (including my old co-worker and his 2014 Santa Fe).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
the majority of the engine seizures I've seen reported happen on a long trip
Anecdotal evidence from this website states otherwise...stopped at a traffic light or merging onto a turnpike is what I see.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My motor seized at the very end of a similar trip to yours. But fact is that you can't be afraid to drive the car. Just let the chips fall where they may, and if the motor dies, it dies.

·
Registered
130 Posts
While a breakdown is unlikely, the majority of the engine seizures I've seen reported happen on a long trip (including my old co-worker and his 2014 Santa Fe).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Add me to that list. 3 hour trip to the Jersey shore and back, the car started knocking about 2 miles from my home.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts