Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a bra or front-end mask for the 2011 yet? I do mostly highway driving around chicago and every year my hood gets destroyed from debris. I want to try to avoid it this time around. I looked at the clear wrap stuff but I dont like it as all the cars i have seen it on begin to yellow after a while. not to mention its prettty **** expensive for saran wrap.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ive looked around online for it but haven't been able to find anything also..
But after talking to some people about my options (because I also drive mostly highways and the debris here in NY kill my black SE) I decided to just go with the protective film so Im in the process of emailing some places getting price quotes for tints and the protective film.. I love the look of the Sonata and I just dont want to hide its beauty behind a bra and rather show it off as I drive..

·
Registered
167 Posts
QUOTE (system shock @ Apr 16 2010, 11:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=313862
Has anyone found a bra or front-end mask for the 2011 yet? I do mostly highway driving around chicago and every year my hood gets destroyed from debris. I want to try to avoid it this time around. I looked at the clear wrap stuff but I dont like it as all the cars i have seen it on begin to yellow after a while. not to mention its prettty **** expensive for saran wrap.
I had 3M brand on my Eclipse GT and had no problems with it after 3 years. It was some very tough stuff, and you have to really be looking for it to see that it's even there. In fact, the guy at the shop who installed mine took me out into the parking lot for a demonstration. He walked up to his brand new car, pulled out a wad of keys from his pocket the size of my fist, and proceeded to slam them against the front of his shiney black hood. Didn't even phase it. About two years after I had mine put on, I had a rock hit the fiberglass edge where the facia meets the front fender so hard that it cracked a chunk out of the fiberglass without even scratching the paint on the surface. Impressive stuff. I would recommend paying for a custom cut and install as opposed to the kits, as they typically do not wrap the edges. This is where your paint is the most vulnerable. Yes, it's expensive, but worth every penny.

I would suspect that the film you see turn yellow was probably cheaper stuff (regardless of what they may have said or charged to do it).

·
Registered
14 Posts
QUOTE (vewdew @ Apr 16 2010, 03:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=313907
I had 3M brand on my Eclipse GT and had no problems with it after 3 years. It was some very tough stuff, and you have to really be looking for it to see that it's even there. In fact, the guy at the shop who installed mine took me out into the parking lot for a demonstration. He walked up to his brand new car, pulled out a wad of keys from his pocket the size of my fist, and proceeded to slam them against the front of his shiney black hood. Didn't even phase it. About two years after I had mine put on, I had a rock hit the fiberglass edge where the facia meets the front fender so hard that it cracked a chunk out of the fiberglass without even scratching the paint on the surface. Impressive stuff. I would recommend paying for a custom cut and install as opposed to the kits, as they typically do not wrap the edges. This is where your paint is the most vulnerable. Yes, it's expensive, but worth every penny.

I would suspect that the film you see turn yellow was probably cheaper stuff (regardless of what they may have said or charged to do it).

I'm going to do my front end. The front end of the car is too nice but also so big, its going to get hit. I say its such a small investment on a huge part of keeping the car looking great. vewdew has it right, don't skimp pay a little extra and it will last you a long time.

A guy i know did his WHOLE car. overkill, as some would say but, the car was extraordinary, as ALL would say.

I say go for it especially those in the midwest and northeast. The elements alone during the winter will kill anything.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If memory serves, when I had mine done in 2003, it was ~$350 (give or take) to do the front part of the hood, all of the front fascia, and the front part of the fenders. I also had my headlight and fog light lenses covered (because they were very expensive to replace).

QUOTE (ula @ Apr 16 2010, 02:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=313911
Guys,
What is typical cost for 3M film for hood, front bumper and mirrors?

·
Registered
267 Posts
QUOTE (system shock @ Apr 16 2010, 12:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=313862
Has anyone found a bra or front-end mask for the 2011 yet?
I had a good bra on a Subaru Impreza a number of years ago. It was a real pain trying to keep the paint (even with numerous coats of wax) under the bra in good shape. Dirt and moisture tends to collect under the vinyl material and any protective lining and can cause scratches and paint discoloration and deterioration. Even after I tried to take good care of the paint, after 2 years the hood was a mess and I purposley left the bra on it when i traded.

Don

·
Registered
3 Posts

I would strongly suggest you get the 3M protective INSTALLED by the 3M rep. Reason is you get a FIVE year warranty and if it's changes colors or any problems whatsoever, they remove it and replace it - NO cost to you.

My Son installed his own and saved about $150 but when he had to remove in it took the paint right off the hood also. Costly.

The quote I got was $350 installed for my 2011 Sonata SE by the way

Rick

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (2011 Sonata man @ May 28 2010, 01:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327348
I would strongly suggest you get the 3M protective INSTALLED by the 3M rep. Reason is you get a FIVE year warranty and if it's changes colors or any problems whatsoever, they remove it and replace it - NO cost to you.

My Son installed his own and saved about $150 but when he had to remove in it took the paint right off the hood also. Costly.

The quote I got was $350 installed for my 2011 Sonata SE by the way

Rick

My local dealer told me they will be getting the Bra's in in about a month from a company in Ca. It's a shame to cover up the noise of a beautiful car like that though with a bra.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had a full front clear mask put on by a local installer. It was custom designed for a new 2011 Sonata. Problem was, there are so many curves on the front of the car that he was not able to get it to my satisfaction. Some of the corners did not fully stick and dirt accumulated. Since I have a white Ltd, it looked really bad. He ended up just putting it on the hood and this looks really good ( you can't see it, but you know what I mean). I hope that this keeps the rock pings to a minimum, as I've already noticed a few where he took off the clear stuff off the bumper. By removing everything but the hood piece, it saved me $500!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts