Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My airbag light came on, it would flicker at first when I would start the engine then go away, eventually just permanently came on now. I searched this forum for similar issues but they seem to be from users who were involved in an accident or a Hyundai Accent.

I am planning to make my way to a shop (not the dealer) to have them scan and see what code it gives me. But I figured I would ask if any users here have had this issue, what did they do, and if it cost them a arm and a leg at the Hyundai dealership?

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
My airbag light came on, it would flicker at first when I would start the engine then go away, eventually just permanently came on now. I searched this forum for similar issues but they seem to be from users who were involved in an accident or a Hyundai Accent.

I am planning to make my way to a shop (not the dealer) to have them scan and see what code it gives me. But I figured I would ask if any users here have had this issue, what did they do, and if it cost them a arm and a leg at the Hyundai dealership?
A lot of shops charge around $100 to scan a car. The autel 619 reads both airbag codes and abs codes. Costs around $100

·
Registered
417 Posts
If it is the clockspring, you are in luck.

Hyundai is extending the warranty coverage for the driver’s front airbag clock spring assembly to 15 years, unlimited mileage, from the date of original retail delivery or date of first use. This coverage is automatic; there is no action needed on your behalf.

The clock spring is an electrical connection which rotates with the steering wheel to maintain proper functioning of the airbag unit. Hyundai’s system is designed to illuminate the airbag warning light when electrical resistance increases, which can be contributed to by usage patterns and environmental conditions. Illumination of the airbag warning light advises you to have the system maintained and repaired. If continued to be used without repair, the driver’s airbag may eventually not deploy in a frontal impact.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A lot of shops charge around $100 to scan a car. The autel 619 reads both airbag codes and abs codes. Costs around $100
Really? I get it done for free at the shops near me. All it takes is like 5 min and they never mind scanning it.

This just happen to me. Its the clockspring sensor in the steering wheel. This is covered under the powertrain warranty. Hyundai dealer does this for free if your not over the miles.

If it is the clockspring, you are in luck.

Hyundai is extending the warranty coverage for the driver’s front airbag clock spring assembly to 15 years, unlimited mileage, from the date of original retail delivery or date of first use. This coverage is automatic; there is no action needed on your behalf.

The clock spring is an electrical connection which rotates with the steering wheel to maintain proper functioning of the airbag unit. Hyundai’s system is designed to illuminate the airbag warning light when electrical resistance increases, which can be contributed to by usage patterns and environmental conditions. Illumination of the airbag warning light advises you to have the system maintained and repaired. If continued to be used without repair, the driver’s airbag may eventually not deploy in a frontal impact.
Thanks for your responses. I'm at 117,000 miles and am the second owner (purchased at 27,000 miles). So is the warranty until 120,000 miles powertrain or the 15 yrs unlimited?

Doesn't Hyundai charge to diagnose the problem first? Or is it nearly 100% the clock-spring? Only reason I ask is because in the event that it's something else I'm not sure what the procedure on whether or not they charge me for diagnosis.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Flat Rate dealer techs only get paid if you pay for service..

So you will look at diag charge,, and if it is a covered item, then Hyundai Motor will cover, otherwise you responsible for labor and part,, though you way out of warranty anyway

Need to know the code,, nothing like guessing on parts for SRS,, they add up cost really fast.. nothing cheap with SRS system

117,000 mile, if indeed Clockspring cable fault, ask service fella to do a "PA Request" to see if Hyundai Motor will still cover for you, as part number is new number, and labor add up too between diag and replacement..

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just went through this last Thursday. I took it in and they replaced the clockspring.
If your airbag light is on they will replace for free. If you have any issues with the sterring
wheel controls that should fix them too. I also had my other Sonata with 157,000ish miles
fixed last August for the same thing.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mine has flashed for a long time and there are several recalls associated with it as I understand it.
It stopped after one of the recalls but came back.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Mine has flashed for a long time and there are several recalls associated with it as I understand it.
It stopped after one of the recalls but came back.

Did we scan it yet for DTC ?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Diagnostic codes?
I don't remember, I should go pull the service records.
I seem to remember something about a collision sensor being defective and
that being one of the reasons for the light to flash.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Diagnostic codes?
I don't remember, I should go pull the service records.
I seem to remember something about a collision sensor being defective and
that being one of the reasons for the light to flash.

Need current DTC(s) to be able to approach offending circuit(s) that fault

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OP here, I have been incredibly busy so I have not had time to take it to a shop to have it scanned for a code, I am expecting to have that done this Thursday so I can post it here.

Flat Rate dealer techs only get paid if you pay for service..

So you will look at diag charge,, and if it is a covered item, then Hyundai Motor will cover, otherwise you responsible for labor and part,, though you way out of warranty anyway

Need to know the code,, nothing like guessing on parts for SRS,, they add up cost really fast.. nothing cheap with SRS system

117,000 mile, if indeed Clockspring cable fault, ask service fella to do a "PA Request" to see if Hyundai Motor will still cover for you, as part number is new number, and labor add up too between diag and replacement..
I just went through this last Thursday. I took it in and they replaced the clockspring.
If your airbag light is on they will replace for free. If you have any issues with the sterring
wheel controls that should fix them too. I also had my other Sonata with 157,000ish miles
fixed last August for the same thing.
Larney, your post contradicts sbr's. Do you have some time of extended warranty or was the technician just nice to do it for free? Should I expect the dealer to do it free of charge for my sonata as well? Should I e-mail Hyundai Motors before hand?

I want to go to the dealership equipped with the right knowledge to avoid any headaches. Will post codes once I have time.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
You will drive car into dealer service.. fella will write repair order for work to be performed.......

Job 1 -> Customer states SRS light is illuminated, scan and advise

Estimate of $x to start.....

Sign on the line allowing them to inspect car

They will plug in GDS,, ask that they do a complete fault code search of all modules, and you would like a print of screenshot showing results (they can print as many as they like)

If the SRS DTC reflects back onto the Clockspring extended warranty, then they will replace at "NO CHARGE TO YOU"

IF DTC reflects on some other circuit,, then you responsible for diag charge, and repair if you desire to have repair made.

---------------------------------

CLOCK SPRING WARRANTY EXTENSION (TXXA)

This TSB supersedes TSB# 17-BE-004 and modifies the warranty information.

Description:

The warranty coverage for the clock spring has been extended to 15 years with unlimited mileage from the date of original retail delivery or date of first use, whichever occurs first.

Refer to the warranty and service parts information outlined in this bulletin whenever clock spring replacement is required.

Part to be used for repair --> 93490-3X040

Reactions: PeteB

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You will drive car into dealer service.. fella will write repair order for work to be performed.......

They will plug in GDS,, ask that they do a complete fault code search of all modules, and you would like a print of screenshot showing results (they can print as many as they like)

If the SRS DTC reflects back onto the Clockspring extended warranty, then they will replace at "NO CHARGE TO YOU"

IF DTC reflects on some other circuit,, then you responsible for diag charge, and repair if you desire to have repair made.

Description:

The warranty coverage for the clock spring has been extended to 15 years with unlimited mileage from the date of original retail delivery or date of first use, whichever occurs first.

Refer to the warranty and service parts information outlined in this bulletin whenever clock spring replacement is required.

I went to a shop and after scanning they weren't able to get a code.

I then contacted a Hyundai Dealership and they told me the warranty on the clock spring was extended until 100,000 miles.
EDIT** I found the documentation on Hyundai USA's website after entering my VIN that says its 15 years.

There is also no diagnosing fee, taken directly from the letter of the recall:

AIRBAG SYSTEM IS NOT FUNCTIONING PROPERLY. If the airbag warning light remains illuminated after the engine been on for more than 6 seconds, or if the light illuminates, contact your Hyundai dealer to schedule a system diagnosis to determine if the clock spring requires replacement. You will not be charged for this diagnosis, regardless of the condition causing the light to illuminate.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Description:

I know this is an old post but I hope I can get some answers.
I bought a Hyundai Sonata 2011 like two months ago.
Everything was fine and then the airbag light came on like one week ago.
The thing is that my car has a salvage title and in the dealership they told me that the extended warranty for the clock spring will not apply since my car has been in an accident.
So there's no way that the extended warranty for the clock spring can apply in my car?

If there's no other choice, I need to spend 125 bucks on the dealership for the diagnose fee and then see what's wrong with the airbag system.

Any input on this?
Thanks!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Call Hyundai Motor for for assist on clarification on the "salvage" and Clockspring warranty extension....

But you will likely need to sign for $125 diag to start, then if they DTC related to faulty clockspring cable, then there should be no charge if Hyundai Motor will cover repair.. any other codes wont be covered, as there is maybe 100 different DTC for SRS related system circuits that could be possible.. Tech dont get paid if somebody dont pay for work,, be it warranty or customer..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you!
I'm gonna call and ask on clarification on the salvage title and clockspring warranty extension.

If there's no luck i might be spending $125 for the diagnostic and see it it's the clockspring.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My light came on about a week ago. Made an appt for today. Dropped the car off last night after the dealer closed for the day. Got a call at 9:15 this morning car was ready. Told it was covered, didn't even have to ask.

Some dealers do give good service

1 - 20 of 20 Posts