Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
18 months ago i started my car in the garage and it clicked like crazy. Called roadside assitance and they jumped it for me. Car started and drove to auto parts store and they replaced battery for me.

2 weeks later same issue. Clicking, no start. Called the dealership and they said it was an alternator and quoted me $1100 to fix. ugh, called around town and found a place (some Firestone chain thing) They replaced the alternator and it still didnt find the problem, then thought the alternator they replaced was bad and replaced another. With the same issue they just replaced the battery again (of course with their battery not the one I bought) And still had the same issue.

Towed it to the dealership and they found the main fuse was tripped. Replaced fuse and car ran fine for 6 months.

In between then my gas tank sensor went out and $600 later it was fixed.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, same clicking and battery light flashing issue. Car died trying to drive it to the dealership. After towing I was told the alternator was bad after 3 days in the shop.

Replaced alternator for $~600 car started fine until last night.

Now battery light is flashing AGAIN and im afraid its going to die again.

Any ideas? Car has 89000 on it and id love to trade it in but im afraid im going to end up stuck somewhere and have to pay to have it fixed before i trade it.

HELP!!!

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,298 Posts
Is the warning light flashing the whole time the engine is running or does it just flash at random times while your driving?

I assume this will be a PCM controlled smart charging system, so it might be worth scanning the PCM to see if there is a trouble code logged that might give you a clue about what's happening.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Sounds like shops/dealers just tossing parts without troubleshooting.

Fix and trade in if you can't find a competent mechanic or dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the warning light flashing the whole time the engine is running or does it just flash at random times while your driving?

I assume this will be a PCM controlled smart charging system, so it might be worth scanning the PCM to see if there is a trouble code logged that might give you a clue about what's happening.
It just flashes at random times while the car is running. Do I continue to drive it or get it to service right away?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,298 Posts
It just flashes at random times while the car is running.
The wire that controls the warning light might be chafing to the engine/body somewhere causing a short circuit to ground. When the car goes over bumps on the road the wire is coming into contact with the engine/body causing the warning light to flicker. A short on that wire might explain the multiple alternator failures.

I'm not that familiar with the charging system on newer Hyundai models but what I would try is disconnect the alternator's harness connector (the connector with 3 or 4 thin wires on it) then see if the warning light stays off when you switch the ignition on. If the light is off take the car for a drive and see if the light still flickers with the alternator unplugged. If it does that is confirmation that the alternator itself isn't the problem and it's suggesting the warning light control wire is shorting to ground somewhere.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I have the same car...and I'm just throwing this out there...Carfax says the battery and starter were changed 2 yrs ago. :wallbash:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its been in the shop since this time yesterday and no word yet. They had it for 3 days last time and guessed it was the alternator.

Dont really have confidence they can fix it but I feel helpless at this point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts