Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:|Brought my 2011 Sonata 2.0T (125K miles) in under the short block recall. Engine seized while driving normal highway conditions at/about 65mph. Called Factory - Got Case # assigned and a replacement engine through local Hyundai Dealership (2 months waiting for motor - but it came in finally). Just got a call today saying that during test drive - both front wheel bearings are now "howling". I had ZERO issues with this before and certainly no noise from either bearing. Dealership says "we removed engine from top - so no way we caused this problem". In other words - to bad...........Question: I had NO bearing issues before the engine swap at the Dealer - now I do on their "test drive". Any thoughts as to what may have caused this during an engine swap ?

·
Banned
7,038 Posts
:|Brought my 2011 Sonata 2.0T (125K miles) in under the short block recall. Engine seized while driving normal highway conditions at/about 65mph. Called Factory - Got Case # assigned and a replacement engine through local Hyundai Dealership (2 months waiting for motor - but it came in finally). Just got a call today saying that during test drive - both front wheel bearings are now "howling". I had ZERO issues with this before and certainly no noise from either bearing. Dealership says "we removed engine from top - so no way we caused this problem". In other words - to bad...........Question: I had NO bearing issues before the engine swap at the Dealer - now I do on their "test drive". Any thoughts as to what may have caused this during an engine swap ?
Regardless of taking out the top or dropping out the bottom they had to remove the axles. Not sure what they may have done to ruin the wheel bearings. Doesn't make sense unless they hammered them.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Well,, the car was towed to dealer,, no way could dealer tech test drive car before hand,, so condition may just as well be pre-existing,, they found it when car was driveable, and now you make claim it didnt do that until engine put in..

Speculation of course..

Engine can be removed from top, leaving transmission and axles in place as received....

We drop engine - transmission out bottom,, but we do not remove axle nuts,, total waste of time, pop stub from differential and carry on,, axle hangs in spindle and tied out of way

Sitting for 2 month or more will not make noisey bearings,, we be putting bearings in every car on lot when sold...

Camper' post is just 1 more to the post count

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
sounds like when it seized and/or the tow could have done it. You could speculate all kinds of things and how it happened, but without proof(video with sound) of bearings not faulty at the time of the failure, then I doubt there is much recourse. I had both bearings go out on my '14 sonata with < 60k on them. One was screaming and after replaced, the other side then was able to be heard. However, mine was under warranty since < 60k 2nd owner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts