Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Venetian Red SE and have been browsing a few forums.
I am seeing a lot of comments of issues with the electric power steering pulling, mainly to the left at speeds over 40 mph.

Has anyone here had a problem? From what I have seen, there is no solution as of yet.

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's not EPS that's causing the pull, it's wonky alignment specs. I notice it, but it's only unacceptably bad on one stretch of highway here that's banked in toward the center. That's the road's fault for being backward. I am hoping for updated alignment specs by the time I need an oil change, though.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (Phil the Canuck @ Jul 2 2010, 10:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338253
It's not EPS that's causing the pull, it's wonky alignment specs. I notice it, but it's only unacceptably bad on one stretch of highway here that's banked in toward the center. That's the road's fault for being backward. I am hoping for updated alignment specs by the time I need an oil change, though.
Aren't front alignment adjustments limited by the McPherson strut suspension?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
QUOTE (bobad @ Jul 2 2010, 10:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338262
Aren't front alignment adjustments limited by the McPherson strut suspension?

My Limited drifted a little bit for the first 700 Miles or so. Now, straight as an arrow. Also, I made sure my tires are now at 33PSI, vs. the 38 that the car had at delivery.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I haven't noticed any pull to one side or another, but I also don't drive many miles on the highways. I'm almost all city.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have no pull on mine either. This is one of the first things I check on a car (get on a good empty road and let go of the wheel).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I just did a little freeway run, set the cruize at 75 and had no issues.
Tried a rural road and did the same thing. No issues.

I did notice however that the on center position is extremely sensitive to any driver input. The slightest pressure in one direction or the other will turn the car.
If your one of those people who look around a lot while on the highway, you may find yourself moving out of your lane.

·
Registered
167 Posts
QUOTE (Flying Fossil @ Jul 2 2010, 02:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338332
Well, I just did a little freeway run, set the cruize at 75 and had no issues.
Tried a rural road and did the same thing. No issues.

I did notice however that the on center position is extremely sensitive to any driver input. The slightest pressure in one direction or the other will turn the car.
If your one of those people who look around a lot while on the highway, you may find yourself moving out of your lane.
Yep, the steering (on an SE at least) doesn't play around. No slack at all, so if you sneeze you best let go of the wheel first or you could end up in the ditch. :grin:

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (Flying Fossil @ Jul 2 2010, 10:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338243
I am seeing a lot of comments of issues with the electric power steering pulling, mainly to the left at speeds over 40 mph.

Has anyone here had a problem? From what I have seen, there is no solution as of yet.

Thanks

Jim
Just came back from a road trip to South Carolina from Texas. I now have logged over 5300 miles on my 2011 Sonata SE absolutly no steering problems at all. This car performed beautifully!!! I when over different road conditions from Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, and South Carolina and this car handled great. Gas mileage averaged 37-39 mpg at around 70-75 mph. Great passing acceleration!. Car gets smoother as it gets more miles on it.d

Things I have done:
1. Replaced stock horn.

2. Oil changed to Mobil 1 5W-20 Synthetic. I use this oil in wife's 2008 Sonata V6 and her car runs really smooth and quiet.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'm only at about 700 miles on mine, but I haven't noticed any steering or "pull" problems at all.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (electramon @ Jul 2 2010, 04:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338351
Gas mileage averaged 37-39 mpg at around 70-75 mph. Great passing acceleration!. Car gets smoother as it gets more miles on it.d

Things I have done:

Oil changed to Mobil 1 5W-20 Synthetic. I use this oil in wife's 2008 Sonata V6 and her car runs really smooth and quiet.
I must assume that your mpg numbers are computer generated. It is a "Tad" optomistic.

How ofter do you have to change oil when switching to synthetic?

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (Flying Fossil @ Jul 2 2010, 11:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338243

Thanks

Jim

I have put roughly 800 miles on my SE and have noticed a pull to the left ever since leaving the dealership. If it doesn't correct itself by the first oil change I will have them look at it. For now, I don't want to have my car in the shop. But, needless to say, it is annoying to always have to correct it..and not being able to do 100% hands free sometimes is a bit irritating (although not safe I know, I know - but we all do it).

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have had my 2011 SE for 3 days now and i have also noticed that it veers slightly to the left at highway speeds when I let go of the wheel. First chance i get i will check the PSI in the tires to make sure that's not the problem. I am worried though, given multiple reports of this problem by other owners. see also the following threads on this issue:

*** http://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8267

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?sh...47906&st=20

And also this article that noted a steering problem:

http://www.insideline.com/hyundai/sonata/2...rison-test.html

·
Registered
486 Posts
See new alignment specs, 7-1-10

TSB No. Date Model Group Subject

10-SS-008 6/30/2010 all Steering System 10-SS-008 ALIGNMENT SPECIFICATIONS - 2011 MY SONATA

·
Registered
42 Posts
QUOTE (snapper41 @ Jul 10 2010, 12:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340581
See new alignment specs, 7-1-10

TSB No. Date Model Group Subject

10-SS-008 6/30/2010 all Steering System 10-SS-008 ALIGNMENT SPECIFICATIONS - 2011 MY SONATA
nice job. for those interested in reading the full details, you can go to
http://www.hmaservice.com/
...register for free and you will be able to search for TSBs and other info.

The TSB for alignment specifications is 6 pages long and opens as a pdf.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have about 1400 miles on my SE, and it drives straight as an arrow. I have read numerous posts on this issue and it is something I am trying to observe. Fortunately, no issues with my car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts