Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i had my car not start twice in as many weeks. I think both problems stemmed from the car gear shift not "being in park" even though it was. I ended up shifting the transmission then back to park, and the car started.

now same thing on the second time, but when it started, the gear light didn't show down by the shifter, nor did it show on the dash.

i ended up turning off the car and back on, and somehow it registered, showing what gear the car was in.

help?

·
Registered
486 Posts
When my Gear Indicator Letters Intermitently Vanished this was the fix (NOTE: the 0705 Error Code did NOT show on 1st trip to Dealer - took 2 trips over 2 weeks) ............I'm sure I Pressed my Start Button twice and held it in 2nd press for 5-10 sec to Start Engine

From Invoice: 1 42700-3BOOO SWITCH.INHIBITOR

.....See JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
looks like a trip to the dealership is in order then?
Can someone post IF a Parts Store (AutoZone, etc) can read our computer chips for the 0705 Error Code?

The Dealer can't replace the Inhibitor Switch without the code, so I'd at least call the Dealer Svc and state you've confirmed your Problem and (likely) Fix via this Forum and what is the easiest way to pursue a solution. (ie) do I have to leave (wait for) the car for 4 hours, you read it and Then tell me there is No Code - return when it breaks? It wasn't a 4-hour wait, but as stated That is what happened to me.

Good luck!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yes. But if the Check Engine Light (CEL) isn't on, neither a parts store nor the dealer will be able so see it.
Thanks for the Reply.
I know you're right but I did Not see a CEL between my 1st (no Code Found trip) and the 2nd (Code found) ; So, psuath, see what the Dealer advises & hopefully you'll get the CEL -- or they'll find a Code IF you want to have them read the module & risk a Return Trip if none is found .....

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Yes. But if the Check Engine Light (CEL) isn't on, neither a parts store nor the dealer will be able so see it.
MIL does not have to be illuminated to recover a stored DTC..

Most DTC are 2 trip logic, meaning event has to happen in 2 consecutive key cycle for hard code to set and turn on MIL... may find as a PENDING code..

·
Registered
323 Posts
MIL does not have to be illuminated to recover a stored DTC..

Most DTC are 2 trip logic, meaning event has to happen in 2 consecutive key cycle for hard code to set and turn on MIL... may find as a PENDING code..
Did not know that about the GDS one. The handhelds that most auto parts stores will only find the active codes when CEL is present.

·
Registered
357 Posts
This happened to me today ,stopped and restarted the car and they came back

going to check tomorrow at work for a pending code

·
Registered
2015 Sonata 2.0T Sport Limited
105 Posts
I have had a similar issue happen with my 2011 Sonata. Shifting from drive, to reverse, then to park has made it lose gear three times in the past month.

I am the second owner and the vehicle has 50k miles so I don't have a warranty.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I have had a similar issue happen with my 2011 Sonata. Shifting from drive, to reverse, then to park has made it lose gear three times in the past month.

I am the second owner and the vehicle has 50k miles so I don't have a warranty.
Your warranty goes to 60k miles.

·
Registered
2015 Sonata 2.0T Sport Limited
105 Posts
Finally got this issue looked at and the dealership replaced the Transmission Range Sensor.

Hoping this solves the issue. Also, this solved my hard shift issue from 2nd to 3rd gear.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Did not know that about the GDS one. The handhelds that most auto parts stores will only find the active codes when CEL is present.
That shouldn't be the case - any generic OBDII scanner should be able to pick up a stored code regardless of whether the MIL is currently on (and quite likely even if it's just in the pending state).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts