Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I bought my 2011 Santa Fe used in May 2016 with a little under 50,000kms on it. About a month or two into driving the car, a rattling noise developed when I would drive above 20 clicks, and then when I would decelerate/accelerate from a consistent speed. I've had it checked a few times - the dealership told me that it might be the timing chain, another place told me it could be the heat shield. I eventually took it to a mechanic to look into it further and after taking everything apart, they saw that the timing chain was in poor condition and loose - so they replaced this for a hefty price. I was surprised that it had to be changed this early when I had about 65,000kms on my car at that point. To my surprise, the rattling sound was still there so I took it back to the mechanic since they told me that was the cause of the noise, and they tried to convince me that it was more quiet (which is 100% was not). Needless to say, I haven't been back to them or anywhere else because I don't want to spend another 2 grand trying to fix a problem that won't be fixed in the end.

Any ideas on what it could be or suggestions?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I know this is an older post, but this may help.

I had a similar issue. When cold starting, the car had a vibration that would diminish and stop when it was warm. On decelleration, it would return, but not as loud. It had started after a serpentine belt replacement. I suspected a loose splash panel or other part from the belt replacement.

After 1 try to fix it, I took the car in the night before so they could start it ice cold. The dealer then found it was the drive belt tensioner. As an engine part is was covered by warranty. The car is now quiet and buttery smooth.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts