Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read several threads about full size spares on the Santa Fe. But I'm looking for someone who can unequivocally say that a full size spare will fit under a 2011 Santa Fe Ltd V6 AWD sold in the US without any alterations or side effects. No hitch is present.

I just talked to two different dealers and they tell me no.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Why wouldn't it fit? The full-size spare (235/65R17 or 235/60R18) is standard in many markets, even those with twin exhausts and/or towbars.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a full size under my GL AWD with V6 and hitch. I can't see the LTD being different underneath.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Granted, I have a 2008, not a 2011, but the first thing I did was to dump the stupid 'Space Saver' spare and pick up a a cheap (but with correct hub size) 16" steel rim and mount a barely used 235/70-16 on it. I assumed (correctly) that if I ever blew a tire, it would be in a spot in the mountains where 30 seconds of driving would have shredded the 'Space Saver' to bits.

We have yet to hear from an owner of any year CM Santa Fe here that they were unable to accomplish this. I think your dealers lack imagination. The diameter is the same in any case (duh) and the tread width makes it tight with a hitch, but doesn't prevent this. With a hitch, you may have to push the tire to the front a bit while dropping or installing the spare to get clear, but that's all.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
What does your owners manual say about reinstalling a full size tire under the car? :unsure:
That may not tell the full story - owners manuals are country-specific and don't usually refer to equipment only available in other countries.

I'd expect the US owners manual to only refer to space-savers.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
The one you're looking for fits a few different cars.

The rims that come on the CM models are ~7" width (although I've seen them called 6.5"), 41mm offset with a 5x114.3mm (4.5") bolt pattern. Make sure that the inner hub diameter is correct. A Honda rim with the 64.1mm hub hole looks like it will fit until you discover you're about 3mm shy (the Hyundai is 67.1mm) of getting it mounted. There's also quite a few 60.1mm hub rims in the same bolt pattern that aren't even close. In short, there's a whole lot more 5 x 114.3 rims out there that won't fit than there are ones that will.

There were quite a number of old smaller Chrysler vehicles that used a rim this size (e.g., the Avenger, Stealth, Sebring models up to about '08 or so, Jeep Compass, etc.), and Ford (some Fusion and Escape models, Lincoln MKZ/Zephyr etc.), a whole bunch of Mazda and Mitsubishi models, several different Hyundai and Kia models... they're out there, and it's hard to imagine a junkyard won't be able to find a correct set.

If you wind up trying to go to a 'universal' rim that has an oversized hub, insist that they come with the spacers to bring it back down to the 67.1mm ID.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I need a source. Website, phone number? I've been told by two sources so far that there is no steel wheel that will fit this vehicle. One said something about it not being able to clear the brakes.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Good grief. I think the original 2007 low end models came with steel wheels. If the offset is close to correct, it will clear the brakes.

I can assure that it's possible -- your brakes are in no different position than anyone else's here for a CM version, and you'll find numerous recorded swaps to a full sized spare on steel (mine included).

I'm pretty sure that Keystone Automotive makes them.

I know they talk about different model years (no matter), but here's one that's not too badly priced for an online shop: Hyundai Santa FE 16" X 7" Steel Wheel Sales - Buy 2009 Hyundai Santa FE STEEL WHEEL, 16 X 7, 5 STUDS/LUGS, 4.5" BOLT DIA, 20 HOLES, ALL PAINTED BLACK at discount price!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was quoted a 16" wheel like the one you mention. I need 18". Everyone I've talked to says there is no 18" wheel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Two reasons:
1. I just got four new tires and kept one of the old ones to use as a spare.
2. I want the same size tire for a spare. Otherwise there's no point in replacing the doughnut.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
I was quoted a 16" wheel like the one you mention. I need 18". Everyone I've talked to says there is no 18" wheel.
Uh... OK. Now I see your problem.

You'll note in the many other threads on this topic that no one here has been adding 18" steels and winter or spare tires. Now you know why! You don't need 18" rims or tires. In fact, the tires will almost always be cheaper in the 16" size.

These vehicles have come with 16", 17" and 18" rims over the life of the CM series, any of which, with correctly sized tires, will be within a fraction of a percent of nominal circumference.

You should be looking for 16" rims, and a 235/70-16 tire.

As for there being no need to replace the space saver, think again. More in a moment.

The space saver donut is a piece of junk. Frankly, I got rid of mine within the first week of owning my '08 Santa Fe and swapped it for a 16" steel rim with a 235/70-16 tire. Why? Where I drive that is the most risk to a tire to begin with, a Space Saver Spare wouldn't have lasted 100 yards, much less down to where I could come up with another full sized spare.

I had reason to thank myself for this about a week after I had my 2nd set of tires mounted after going through the original junk Bridgestones in about 30K miles. Up in the mountains, a rock took out a sidewall of one of the new tires. If I had a lousy donut underneath, I never would have been able to drive back down the hill. Pulled out my trusty full size spare from underneath, and found my way back to the tire dealer and cashed in my road hazard warranty for the dead tire. Funny - it was the first time I've ever purchased the hazard warranty, and managed to make it pay in a week's time!

This thread has wandered all over the place, and from the beginning, the focus was on actually fitting a full size spare underneath. If 18" is what you really want (what, to be able to rotate them?) then buy an OEM rim and 18" tire, and stuff it under there. It WILL fit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was hoping to save money by using one of my old tires. Getting an OEM rim would probably cost more than a steel 16" and a new tire. I won't be rotating anything. It just seemed logical to me that I would want a full sized spare that was actually the same size as the other wheels.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Logical, I dunno. More expensive, certainly. With steel, impossible.

If the objective is to ditch the donut for a more robust tire, it really doesn't matter whether what's underneath is a 16", 17" or 18". If it's just a matter of finding a use for a used 18" tire, and you're OK with the donut, keep the donut... just beware that you don't get too far off the good pavement!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I was hoping to save money by using one of my old tires. Getting an OEM rim would probably cost more than a steel 16" and a new tire. I won't be rotating anything. It just seemed logical to me that I would want a full sized spare that was actually the same size as the other wheels.
Here: $165 and it's yours.

BMW Factory Wheels | OEM Rims | Up to 50% Off MSRP List!

Try Craigs list and or check out your local junk yard. New cars get wrecked every day.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I found a used matching OEM rim for $115. Mount and balance cost $16. I put it up underneath and it seems to be just fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts