Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had an engine failure in a 2011 Santa Fe? Mine - 86K miles, gradual increase in cold-start knocking, rough idle, low frequency rumble thought to be exhaust system, excessive downshifting skipping from 6th to 3rd (at 80mph), no change in mpg, etc. Dealer took one listen, gave me a brand new 2018 Santa Fe Sport rental and it's been two months waiting on a back-ordered short block engine. Problem - special coating on pistons flaked off of one causing cylinder wall scoring and abrasive debris in oil. Bought it as certified used w/16K miles and third-party extended warranty which is covering everything except any more than the first 11 days of rental. But at $25/day after that it's still costing me a small fortune.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Jhk:
Is this the 4 or 6 cylinder engine?

Don

·
Registered
11 Posts
Your doing better than I am. I have a 2011 2.4L Santa Fe with the same cold star knocking that started towards the end of this winter. I can find lots of information stating 2.4L recall even for a 2nd owner up to 120,000 miles. I have 102,000 miles but Hyundai says my engine is not part of the recall.
Has anyone found a way to convince Hyundai to replace the engine?
Does anyone have a source for reasonably priced rebuilt engines?
Has anyone repaired one?

·
Registered
319 Posts
... I have a 2011 2.4L Santa Fe with the same cold star knocking that started towards the end of this winter. I can find lots of information stating 2.4L recall even for a 2nd owner up to 120,000 miles. I have 102,000 miles but Hyundai says my engine is not part of the recall. ...
According to the doc I'm using, your vehicle has a Theta MPI, not the GDI which is the one having the massive recall. I don't see many problems reported with the MPIs, and it's usually neglected maintenance when these engines have major issues.

What is the oil change history for your vehicle? Do you use Hyundai oil filters? (not saying that's the cause - just asking). And finally, you didn't say, so I'll ask what the actual diagnosis is, and if you've had more than one shop look at it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks you you just clarified a lot. I was assuming all the 2.4L were the GDI (Theta II). It looks like I have the DOHC Theta MPI engine. I purchased this used from a dealer at 78K miles. The previous owner purchased it and had all of the service work done at the dealer. I use this as a winter vehicle and only drive it about 5K per year. 2004 (Sebring convertible for summer). The engine was quiet until about mid winter this year. I changed the oil once per year, Mobil 1 5W-20 synthetic oil, Purolator Pure 1 oil filter. There has never been any sign of sludge. What you can see through the fill port is clean. Oils stays clean when changed, after 5K miles the dipstick oil still has a dark slight translucent appearance. So back to my engine. The colder it is the louder and longer it knocks above 35 degF it's quiet. It is a heavy knock, but i have noticed the first few seconds it is quiet then it starts to knock and after around a minute it is quiet . Nothing has been taken apart yet. I need to find some time to tear into it.
Does this engine have Hydraulic lifters?|
So if I go the used engine route will any year from any Hyundai 2.4L MPI engine fit?

·
Registered
319 Posts
... Purolator Pure 1 oil filter. ...
Have you positively identified where the noise is coming from? There have been many top end 'ticking' reports from many KIA/Hyundia engines, so it's important to confirm if this noise is from the top or bottom of the engine.

Regardless of the answer to the above, I recommend that you replace the filter with a Hyundai OEM asap, and see if that makes any difference in what you're hearing. Hyundai has issued a TSB claiming that some aftermarket filters are not built to their specifications, and should not be used on their vehicles (but I'm not aware of any specific list of 'bad' filters). Please note that I'm just the messenger on this, and am not trying to tell you this information is correct or that changing filters will help in any way. However, it is a VERY easy and inexpensive thing to try, and so why not just do it. I have the same engine in my KIA, and have used only OEM filters with 7.5 OCIs, and have had zero engine issues at 120K miles. Yes, just a sample size of one, and not 'proof' of anything.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Ditto on what kiaguy1 said about OEM filters. I had two 2.7's that rattled like crazy on a cold start until I followed others' advice on using OEM filters and the noise stopped. I use an OEM on my present 3.5 because I'm unwilling to run experiments on my trusty chariot for the sake of curiosity.

Reactions: johnaauld

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is not a rattle. I have heard the Hyundai rattle, this engine never rattled. It a hard Knock I'm thinking rod bearing of piston slap, only happens below 35 deg F. It sat for 2 weeks and I ran it yesterday it was dead quiet.
Right I'm looking to possibly replace the engine. I'ts the 2.4L MPI 2011 Santa Fe.
Does anyone know what 2.4L engines from other years/cars will fit?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Have you positively identified where the noise is coming from? There have been many top end 'ticking' reports from many KIA/Hyundia engines, so it's important to confirm if this noise is from the top or bottom of the engine.

Regardless of the answer to the above, I recommend that you replace the filter with a Hyundai OEM asap, and see if that makes any difference in what you're hearing. Hyundai has issued a TSB claiming that some aftermarket filters are not built to their specifications, and should not be used on their vehicles (but I'm not aware of any specific list of 'bad' filters). Please note that I'm just the messenger on this, and am not trying to tell you this information is correct or that changing filters will help in any way. However, it is a VERY easy and inexpensive thing to try, and so why not just do it. I have the same engine in my KIA, and have used only OEM filters with 7.5 OCIs, and have had zero engine issues at 120K miles. Yes, just a sample size of one, and not 'proof' of anything.
Any more info on this TSB? Engines? Years?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts