Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited that I bought new. When it reached a little over 100,000 miles, I thought it was a good idea to have all the fluids changed.

I brought the vehicle to a Firestone service center in Harrisburg PA, (to avoid the local dealer which had previously given me horrible service numerous times), to have the services performed.

After looking at the receipt I saw that for the Transaxle fluid , Firestone used Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage ATF.

Looking at the Santa Fe Owner's manual it states that ATIV should be used.

I pulled up the Technical Data Sheet for The Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage ATF on the internet. It states that the Pennzoil is not compatible with the Hyundai ATIV spec.

Will this Harm my Transaxle? I had no issues at the time of the fluid change.

I noticed since the fluid change that when I let my foot off of the gas, the vehicle slows down briskly, plus under hard acceleration, I notice a lot of torque steer.

I'm worried...

Thanks to all who reply.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I assume ATIV is a CVT transmission. If that's the case I would first contact Penziol and then depending on the outcome maybe take it back for a flush and then filled with the correct fluid. CVT transmissions cost a bomb to repair and the wrong oil could do damage.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I would definitely get that fluid flushed out ASAP if it's not spec'd for use in Hyundais. The Pennzoil Platinum LV Multi-Vehicle ATF is spec'd for Hyundais using SP-IV fluid.

·
Registered
2009 Santa Fe GLS 2.7L
18 Posts
Thank you all to the replies to the OP. Don't mean to take this off topic but I am going to get a transmission flush, filter replacement on 2009 GLS 2.7L front wheel drive automatic. What fluid should I have them use? TIA

AeRo

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thank you all to the replies to the OP. Don't mean to take this off topic but I am going to get a transmission flush, filter replacement on 2009 GLS 2.7L front wheel drive automatic. What fluid should I have them use? TIA

AeRo
Best you getting is a fluid change. Filter require transmission removal and case seperation, Dealer not even allow to do that, only the contractor that handles the reman transmissions

Correct fluid be SP-III / 00232-19012

·
Registered
136 Posts
Gents:
Kind of tidying up the maintenance on the wife's '11 SF before Winter arrives here in SW Ohio. As an aside, we are having an abnormally warm day here for Fall, with ambient temp currently at 91. Adding in the "WHOmidity", the feels like temp is 95!

Back to the SF. I'd like to do a drain/refill on the trans with oem, or an appropriate spec substitute soon. What is everyone using, and how many quarts should I have on hand? Any tips/tricks I should know about?

Thx

Don

·
Registered
380 Posts
Gents:
Kind of tidying up the maintenance on the wife's '11 SF before Winter arrives here in SW Ohio. As an aside, we are having an abnormally warm day here for Fall, with ambient temp currently at 91. Adding in the "WHOmidity", the feels like temp is 95!

Back to the SF. I'd like to do a drain/refill on the trans with oem, or an appropriate spec substitute soon. What is everyone using, and how many quarts should I have on hand? Any tips/tricks I should know about?

Thx

Don
SP4-M,, 00232-19057.

Liquid Product Cosmetics Fluid Eyewear

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thx:
I was thinking of measuring what comes out, and adding the same amount back in.
Thoughts on that method?

Don

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thx:
I was thinking of measuring what comes out, and adding the same amount back in.
Thoughts on that method?

Don
I would rather you just drain it and be done.. remove plug from side pan, and add oil via top fill,, usually start run out at 3-4qt, then start engine, shift R & D a few times, put in P, and finish add oil till it dribbles out the side pan port (have pan under there so you dont have mess on floor) with engine idle in P.. put plugs back in and carry on

·
Registered
136 Posts
Oh, ok;
So, that sounds like a better way to get more of the fluid out.
To be clear:

1. Remove bottom drain plug, and let it drain as much as it will.
2. Start engine, and run through R/D a few times.
3. Reinstall drain plug, then add fresh fluid until it trickles out of the side port.

I'm a little concerned about adding fluid with the drain plug still being out. Won't I be draining new fluid right back out?

Don

·
Registered
223 Posts
Do not run with the drain plug removed. If you are going to do it yourself, drain into a container and fill with the same amount. I would do it at the same time as oil change. Next time oil is due, repeat the ATF drain, measure, and fill.
It is a lot simpler and safer and a few drain and fills will keep the fluid in good condition.
The proper way to check the level is with the car level and drain plug removed, but the fluid must be at a certain temperature, which you would need a scan tool to monitor temp with.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Oh, ok;
So, that sounds like a better way to get more of the fluid out.
To be clear:

1. Remove bottom drain plug, and let it drain as much as it will.
2. Start engine, and run through R/D a few times.
3. Reinstall drain plug, then add fresh fluid until it trickles out of the side port.

I'm a little concerned about adding fluid with the drain plug still being out. Won't I be draining new fluid right back out?

Don
Drain the oil

Install drain plug

Remove side plug

Remove fill plug

Add oil via fill port till it start to dribble out the side pan port

Start engine, do the **** thing, end in "P"

Top off oil till it maintain a dribble from side port,, install side plug back

Install fill port plug

finish assemble misc

Drive car 60 - 90,000 and repeat oil change to transmission again

·
Registered
136 Posts
@Chemist:
If you have the 3.5L, it has quite a bit of power. When I drive the wife's SF, I am coming from an 8 cylinder Dodge Charger or Durango. I find it peppy as **** for it's size. The throttle tip in is almost too sensitive!
This much power and torque for a FWD biased platform, equates to some torque steer lol.

Don

1 - 19 of 19 Posts