Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks! I am hoping you can provide me with some recommendations for maintenance on my 2011 Limited Sonata with 97K miles. I am the original owner, bought in Feb 2010. I am up to date on all recalls with the exception of Campaign 169, Seat belt linkages and Campaign 174, Airbags (website says remedy not available). Additionally, I am hoping to trade in the vehicle (upgrade to a Genesis) in about 18 months or so therefore not looking to spend too much money, just enough to get me through to the end with piece of mind.

I have noticed a lot of oil consumption (adding >2 qts in between changes), so I plan to switch to synthetic. I generally rotate tires and change oil every 4-5 months/6000 miles or so. I am thinking I need to change the spark plugs, flush the engine, and clean the fuel system. Anything else? Drive belt?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Definitely new plugs (cheap and easy) and new serpentine belt. Test coolant acidity and flush if out of specifications.

Normal inspection of other wear items.

Oil consumption seems a bit high. Using up to 2 quarts at the 6k OCI would be concerning. Could be wrong. My own 2011 is less than a few ounces at 6k OCI so...

Reactions: vmi9d3

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
What ever you do, don’t ask the dealer what has to be done! The will try to sell you a wax job. Look at the maintenance schedule that came with the car and do the “replace” along with checking the engine air filter and the cabin filter.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I replaced my serpentine belt and PCV valve. Easy enough to DIY. I used a BWD valve and Bando belt. Local Kia/Hyundai dealer can also source OE parts.
I also changed the plugs with Autolite Iridium XP, cleaned for IVD deposits, and gave the cold engine a 5-10 minute flush immediately before an oil/filter change. Inspecting old spark plugs will let you know which cylinders are burning the oil. A flush might be the easiest/cheapest way to unstick some rings.

My ATF has been drained/refilled twice and heading toward my 3rd interval at 60k miles. You will need to get a temp gauge or OBD scanner for proper ATF level check. My 1st ATF change was with Supertech ATF(full synthetic) and 2nd drain/refill was with Ravenol. Maxlife Synthetic is another commonly used ATF.

If you are using 5w20, use a 5w30. If you are using a 5w30, step up to a 0w40 or 5w40 to help with that oil consumption. Synthetic or high mileage oils are worth a try to help clean a sticky ring pack that is allowing excessive consumption. I recommend flushing it a couple times. Don't expect anything to be an instant solution to 100k miles of neglect caused oil consumption.

Don't forget the engine and cabin air filters. And you should've already drained/refilled the radiator a couple times too.

Trade in??? not much resale value now and will be worth less in 18 months. Whether you keep it or not, you should still maintain it properly. Because of the issues with my Hyundais, I wouldn't even consider a Genesis. Don't want another headache in the driveway or a disposable vehicle.

I would also visit the dealer and see if you can get the engine replaced for excessive oil consumption.

Valvoline sells a 10w30 full synthetic patented cleaning/restoring oil that will scrub the engine clean. Valvoline PN is VVL 877377. Its not cheap and you'll need 2 gallons, and you should consider changing the filter 1/2 way thru your normal oil run interval. I'd recommend the Valvoline oil if the boogeymen here scare you away from easy to do flushes.

Reactions: vmi9d3

·
Registered
407 Posts
Trade in??? not much resale value now and will be worth less in 18 months. Whether you keep it or not, you should still maintain it properly. Because of the issues with my Hyundais, I wouldn't even consider a Genesis. Don't want another headache in the driveway or a disposable vehicle.
Funny you say that - you are so right...lol. Was walking the dog last night and noticed a neighbor with an Azera, and joked to wife that it would be a nice step up and there was a used 2014 a dealer is selling for $ 9,900 with 60K miles. She was quick to mention the reason I get the new car itch was to get away from Hyundai engines, and the abysmal resale value of our Sonatas makes the case to just maintain them and drive them to the ground.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm keeping mine at least until 120K. By then I'll probably be bored with it. My wife just got a brand new CUV last week and the technology features on the 2018s are pretty nice. Android Auto is way more advanced than the basic bluetooth my Sonata has. That said I prefer the legroom of my Sonata to her CUV. I'm tall and she is average height.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback, great recommendations! I ended up replacing the plugs and flushed the engine, still plan on flushing the coolant and maybe the belt. I also had a bad rear shock, hood struts, and tires failed inspection. The tint was too dark too. So maybe I won't be trading in for a few more years after putting this much money into it. I am retiring out of the CG and needed to get it inspected so I can register it in MD after being a FL resident for the last 20 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts