Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

My Santa Fe is due for the 120 000km service. I was quoted a sick number from Hyundai dealer so decided to maybe do it myself.
I am able to source all the parts I need but need advice on the oil. I believe that my dealer is using Castrol 5W30 for the engine oil.. I have heard that Shell Helix is better though, what are your thoughts?
Also at this service I need to replace the gearbox oil, Hyundai charges R170 per half a litre for their ATF. Is there a real difference between the normal ATF that I can source from my local parts store and the Hyundai liquid gold ATF:surprise:
Please advise.
Thanks
Kavesh

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,655 Posts
I believe that my dealer is using Castrol 5W30 for the engine oil.. I have heard that Shell Helix is better though, what are your thoughts?
I don't know that Shell Helix is any better than Castrol, but it is Shell Helix that Hyundai themselves (in the UK, at least) recommend.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Autospark.The owners manual also has the pic of Shell Helix in it. Don't know why the dealers in South Africa are using Castrol. What i have also just realised is that one also needs to take into consideration the classification of the engine oil. So while you want 5W30, you also need to check whether its ACEA C3 or ACEA B4, the oil classification is dependent on whether your vehicle has a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) or not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also you can't use any old ATF either. Hyundai has listed it as filled for life in some markets, if you believe that, then its life will probably be disappointingly short.
Many people say you must use the Hyundai / Kia transmission oil however many here have also had success with SP4+ rated aftermarket oil, and even the manual does suggest alternatives. Valvoline Max life has been used by many with good results, if you can get Penrite (Australian make of oil) in SA they also do a trans oil compatible with SP III, IV, and marked as suitable for Hyundai / Kia boxes. I've used it in my wife's Sportage and it works well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts