Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Recently got a Pittsburgh low profile 3ton jack, I am trying to jack the front of the car however I can't get to the front jack point from the front of the car, nor from the side, I can get on a frame point closest to the tires however then I cannot get a jack stand in there cause the car jack is in the way.

I have to be doing something wrong but any car jack I buy is not low enough nor can I get in the right position to replace the car jack with a jack stand.

What car jack is good for this car and what jack point and position can I use?

·
Registered
831 Posts
what about in the middle of the front frame where the tow hook and front mount goes? I know it's likely concealed with plastic undertray but that's what I use for my cars including my i40 diesel. I have one of those 2.5 tonne low profile trolley jacks with the long handle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what about in the middle of the front frame where the tow hook and front mount goes? I know it's likely concealed with plastic undertray but that's what I use for my cars including my i40 diesel. I have one of those 2.5 tonne low profile trolley jacks with the long handle.
I don't know that spot, but I can certainly give it a look. The problem with coming from the front bumper is that there is a lip from the plastic piece on the undercarriage.. and it stops any jack even the low profile one I have from sliding under more than a foot.

·
Registered
831 Posts

I can see that tow hook but I think it will have a plastic cover across there. I think I jacked mine up with a piece of carpet tile to cushion the jack and the plastic compressed but hard to say for your car. You'd have to make that call or remove the cover which would be painful for a quick job.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've been under my '13 plenty of time and I can tell you there is no tow hook in the front. Why are you approaching it from the front to lift it at pinch points?

Only way I've gotten entire front of mine is to use both jacks (I have both a ppgh and scissor) and progressively jack up each side. Once jacked, put jack stands on subframe rails that run the length of the car (as close to front as you can).

It's a unibody car so I wouldn't trust lifting the entire front all from one spot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So Recently got a Pittsburgh low profile 3ton jack, I am trying to jack the front of the car however I can't get to the front jack point from the front of the car, nor from the side, I can get on a frame point closest to the tires however then I cannot get a jack stand in there cause the car jack is in the way.

I have to be doing something wrong but any car jack I buy is not low enough nor can I get in the right position to replace the car jack with a jack stand.

What car jack is good for this car and what jack point and position can I use?
Before I got my BendPak car lift I had to drive the front wheels over a pair of 2 by 8"s to raise the car enough to fit my jack under the frame behind the engine. I never had a car with a plastic radiator support, I wonder how many guys have cracked the support thing to was made of steel instead of plastic.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Before I got my BendPak car lift I had to drive the front wheels over a pair of 2 by 8"s to raise the car enough to fit my jack under the frame behind the engine. I never had a car with a plastic radiator support, I wonder how many guys have cracked the support thing to was made of steel instead of plastic.
Same here. I built a pair of wood extension ramps to go along with my Rhino Ramps since I lowered my car about an 1" or so. Works great. I also have a low profile HF 2ton Alum "racing" jack (with urethane pinch weld pucks) and this works well.

Last Christmas, Costco had the excellent QuickJack BL-5000SLX for sale ($999, and a division of BendPak) and I bought this before I realized I also would need the $230 frame extension (making it essentially the BL-7000SLX) to work with my Optima. I also bought more urethane pinch weld pucks when using it. For "serious" car work with all wheels/tires off the ground, exhaust work, brake work, etc. the QuickJacks work great and I highly recommend them even if pricey. For oil changes, I still use my ramps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts