Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My 2011 Hyundai Sonata passenger-side brake light went out.

I replaced the bulb and it was working again, but then my wife told me it was out again a couple of weeks later.

I replaced it again, thinking I must've had bad luck with the bulb. But then, sure enough, I got pulled over the other day for my brake light being out!

So I start messing with the bulb, put it back in, press on the brakes and the light comes on...then a couple of days later it's not working again.

Sounds like a loose connection or something, but I've got it in there securely (pins in right slots) and it's turned so that it won't come loose. Anyone know what's going on here or specifically how to fix it? Any info greatly appreciated, thanks!

Eric

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Common issue with these tail lights. In the socket you will find some metal pieces. Get a very small flat head or hooked instrument and pull up on the metal a little bit. This will help the contacts on the bulb stay pressed against the socket.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Common issue with these tail lights. In the socket you will find some metal pieces. Get a very small flat head or hooked instrument and pull up on the metal a little bit. This will help the contacts on the bulb stay pressed against the socket.
I did the "Polish Fix" one this (I am mostly Polish!)...added solder to the bulb contacts! Still working after a few months. :grin2:

·
Registered
163 Posts
You have to cut one of the tabs off, and (of course) splice some wires, but these work well as socket replacements.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WWT1DQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]
Note that the red and green wires are reversed.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Something I found today. The Sonata takes a 2357 bulb instead of the common(but compatible)1157 bulb.
The 2357 brake filament has a life of 400 hours, and the 1157 has a 1200 life. It also runs hotter and brighter, so it heats the sockets up more as well. I have gone to 1157 on my 2011, because it'll last a lot longer

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I had one brake light go out in my Tucson a few months ago.
The bulb was OK, but the contacts in the socket were tarnished.
I polished all the brake light contacts with a pencil eraser.
I've done this on other electrical contacts for many years.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Something I found today. The Sonata takes a 2357 bulb instead of the common(but compatible)1157 bulb.
The 2357 brake filament has a life of 400 hours, and the 1157 has a 1200 life. It also runs hotter and brighter, so it heats the sockets up more as well. I have gone to 1157 on my 2011, because it'll last a lot longer
I think you are correct, they probably made the copper contacts too thin and they heat and lose their bent shape!

·
Registered
283 Posts
i had the same problem, brake bulb would be out every few months or so.

I replaced the entire harness ($20 part at the dealership) and the problem never happened after that.

Try that.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts