Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has an automatic 2011 Elantra Touring Sport model. She has been experiencing some transmission issues. I've read a lot of posts in other forums that were similar to the problems she is experiencing such as the jerking motion. Or when she puts it into gear (either reverse or drive) it takes several seconds to kick in and sometimes it feels like it's slipping when switching from 2nd to 3rd gear. Also, there are sporadic moments where the "ESC" light comes on. It doesn't happen often but it's a cause for concern especially when it's a nice day with dry road conditions. When the car gets turned off and restarted again, the "ESC" light goes away. I've taken it out for test drives myself and have experienced the same things she was describing. Has anybody else had the same thing happen and did you happen to find the solution to the problems?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been having the same exact issues with my automatic 2010 ET SE, although maybe with not quite as bad a delay. You said yours may take several seconds to "kick in" when you put it in drive or reverse. Every now and then I'll notice just a slight delay (about half a second, maybe), but usually it's fine. I do notice the "jerking" and the ESC OFF light coming on pretty often, though. I've read that this is a pretty common problem with Hyundai Elantras. Unfortunately I didn't get it fixed before my warranty expired, so I'm hesitant to take it in now, lest I be charged some absorbitant amount for the repair...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Rough roads, harsh steering input, bald tyres, painted lines on the road, alignment of the planets, tea leaf readings can all effect ESC operation. Agree with Shambles take it back to the dealer, if it's happening regularly it should be easy to diagnose. ESC could also be partially responsible for your strange transmission operation if it's trying to torque limit to prevent what it thinks is wheel slip.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Whamming in-out before it lock in gear.... normal occurance with 10-11 Elantra with bottom pan trans.. reset the adaptive learn and it lilely be worse.

Remedy ----------> Replace auto transmission.. we dont waste any time beyond a test drive.. seen too many "rocking in/out" during shift.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Whamming in-out before it lock in gear.... normal occurance with 10-11 Elantra with bottom pan trans.. reset the adaptive learn and it lilely be worse.

Remedy ----------> Replace auto transmission.. we dont waste any time beyond a test drive.. seen too many "rocking in/out" during shift.
Any chance of that in English :eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it is still under warranty, take it to a dealer. My 2011 Touring is having the same problem and Hyundai is replacing them under warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Transmission Faults

My wife was just informed today the tranny in her 2011 Elantra Touring needs to be replaced and was told by the service person that they have had problems with them before. In 2 1/2 yrs we have replaced the rear wiper motor, the starter motor and now the tranny? These on top of the 2 recalls. One to replace a battery wire and the other with something to do with the brake lights.
Can you say lemon?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my 2011 Elantra Touring SE. At the time, the car had just over 22,000 miles.
The repair was replacing the transmission under warranty. The dealer explained to me that the problem would eventually led to complete loss of the transmission.
I recommend that you head to your favorite Hyundai dealership and talk to them. Make sure that a mechanic or service writer takes the car for a ride. Also, go with them.
BTW, my Elantra now has 56,000 miles on it without any problems

·
Registered
1 Posts
2010 Hyundai elantra touring

Our car has 40000 miles on it and has been to the dealership several times for the same problem it bucks whenever it wants. the engine seems to stop and start or the transmissions seems to let go and then grab, either way it is random and violently shakes you in the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
me too

I recently purchased a used 2011 Elantra touring with 30K miles. The transmission was slipping and the fluid was almost brown. They replaced the transmission. Now, however the ESC light is coming on and off randomly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2011 ET Trans Problem Too

I also recently purchased a used 2011 ET SE w/AT and 31K miles. Check engine light came on this past weekend and car began running rough. Took car to dealer today. I told them the symptoms and also mentioned that car shifted hard from first to second sometimes but I didn't think that was a big issue. According to dealer bad plug wires caused check engine light and engine running rough. Additionally, they ordered a new transmission to fix the hard shift which I hadn't thought was an issue. Currently the car has 32,500 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Going in for my Sccond Transmission

Same issues with the Transmission on my 2012 Touring Base model with a automatic transmission.
Slips into gear after 2-3 seconds drive or reverse.
I'm 5 k under the 100k warranty and there hasn't been an issue with replacement, I hope to get more then two years out of this one as the warranty will be up next time.
I love the size and "Style" of the car but worry about flipping a transmission replacement bill down the road.
Is there anything being done about this other then replacing?
Thoughts?

·
Registered
722 Posts
stustarr, hi, and welcome to the i30 forum.

Please take the time to update your profile in Tools, User CP to include your country of residence and vehicle driven. This helps other forum members give more specific advice as vehicle models do vary across markets/countries.

Enjoy the forums!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts