Hyundai Forums banner

141 - 160 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Has anyone gone to Hyundai about this? Really hoping for a TSB. My dealership thinks im an idiot because when I needed my engine replaced, I played it dumb as though I had no clue about the car.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Its possible that the 2015 may have install a cover over the shaft were the 2013 may not have it. Need someone else with 2015 to look and see if a cover is covering the steering shaft.

My 2015 does not have cover over this entire area. Although the top U-joint will be hard to access. I intend to mention to dealer next service. I do have the sticky feeling in the steering.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I put oil as drawings, there is very little difference to oil still feeling stuck, and stuck in a straight line.
the improvement is very little. a bit better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
xavis it took 3 almost 4 pages of this forum just to get you to Find the intermediate shaft..
and as it Looks.. you've "Maybe" oiled 1/2 the sticky issue..

to everyone else..
it's been a few weeks since finding this fault, and i can truly appreciate this vehicle..
No issues at all with steering..

again start reading from page 8-9 for the story if interested..

wife and i actually Try, to think of some new dinner spots further out in areas we haven't been, just to drive this thing.. it's Fun..

Trust me, i remember the white knuckled 2 handed driving on All straight roads..
Waiting for a turn to take a hand off the wheel to change radio stations or adjust the heater..

i even posted to Car Complaints-
ZigZag down the road like we're drunk, worried police will get behind us..
"why no officer, we don't drink, it's this new car.."

well no more..
we go out of our way now, to find the long way around..
Just fun to drive now..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Another thing that's Nice to point out..

Can actually Look around while driving now..
Look back to road and, Still correctly in my lane..

That's a funny.. but a needed funny to say..
the feel of travel direction is now noticeable..

Everyone do this as soon as possible..

I am signing off here, nothing left to address on steering..
so on i go to find other things to fix..

Enjoy everyone..

·
Registered
109 Posts
ok is softer and less sticky, but Zigzag constant feeling the steering wheel in a straight direction, is still present, lower 32 psi pressure goes a little better.
self-centering is not very good.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have to say that after spraying the u-joints with 3-in-1, the steering is much better. I drove 400 miles last weekend and wasn't constantly fighting the wheel. Still, not as good as the old hydraulic power steering assist or other EPS cars I've driven, but better and livable. I can't imagine that oiling the u-joints making such a change since they are fairly straight to start with. very little steering wheel movement makes less u-joint movement when the input and outputs are very close to in-line. I wonder if overspray or run-down getting into other bearings or seal at the footboard is the real fix? Whatever the root cause, it did help, a lot. Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
hey RXElantra, thanks for posting here your experience with my fix for others to see..

i was a little more precise in oiling, rather than soaking everything..

and nope it's not anything else.. just the u-joint needle bearings..

the more you steer that steering wheel, the more it works into the needle bearing caps..
and the Smoother it becomes..

I wasn't aware they had a 3 in 1 spray can.. hmm
i dripped oil Directly onto the seals of the caps myself, and worked it in by way of gravity..

ie.. oil u-joint seals, rotate shaft to south, wiggle the steering wheel, etc..

Since detecting the fault, i am exceeding the recommended allotment of miles per year..
doesn't matter it's not a lease, just pointing out we drive distances just to drive..

The more you work that oil into the needle bearing caps, the Smoother it becomes everyone..

·
Registered
78 Posts
I used the 3 in 1 oil with the extendable spout (extends to 15 cms) and oiled both sets of U-joints. This made the job easier. Although one needs to be a contortionist to get at the upper joints without removing any components to access.

To early to report if steering performance is better but I am hopefully optimistic as it does seem to be a reasonable idea in fixing this issue.

Thanks [email protected] for your diligence in providing this fix and sharing.

Photo of 3 in 1 product:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=3+in+1+oil+extendable+spout&biw=1694&bih=933&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwim_Z-B7bPLAhVLl4MKHfAGD9wQ_AUIBigB&dpr=0.85#imgrc=UnQ903eBAWsYTM%3A

·
Registered
109 Posts
pour oil improves a little, but still vague straight, straight is difficult to self-center, is not whether it is or is just so alineacion
and donot it is. car shop says so, so normal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
this fix is to free steering columns from at rest sticking. Drift, ZigZag, etc..

this fix will not correct improper alignments
this fix will not correct uneven air pressures in tires
this fix will not correct uneven tread or unequal tires on vehicle
this fix will not correct bent rims, bad ball joints, broken shocks, bent control arms or bushings..
Etc..Etc..Etc..

how many miles you have xavis?
ever change out your tie-rod ends?
Tie-rod end joints dried up, lower ball joint dried up?
(providing needle bearings properly oiled)
These things listed above are all of concern..
and ball joints do dry up.. especially if a boot is cut

your alignment..
should be as close to Zero as possible with a touch of positive toe
I'm saying a Touch.. like .02 would be nice as a total toe..

and yet another possibility that may also apply to the people..
it is such a Bad grease used in production, that it is possible for needle bearings to wear down to having flat spots over time..
especially true if your intermediate shaft installation was done on a Friday or Monday
(lazy days of production)

·
Registered
109 Posts
my english is poor sorry,

pressure tires 32psi ok
15000km or 9600mill
the car only 12 months
all as greasing your drawings u joint with 3 in 1 several times over several days.. but only happens to me when I drive in a straight line with the steering wheel in the center, it is difficult to find the right center , and is a bit sticky. although it seems a little less than before
.I think it's something that hardens a little electric steering wheel when this right but are not .

·
22,777 Posts
Google them by name. Look at the images on the page. That'll start you off in the correct direction.

·
Registered
78 Posts
UPDATE: I brought my 2015 Elantra in for service last week and mentioned the issue of rough steering feel and hard to keep the vehicle in a straight line on the highway. Since my vehicle is under warranty they took it upon themselves to replace the intermediate steering column. The cost would have been $1,200 as per the work order I saw at the time but did not receive. I just drove it home as my wife is the primary driver but it seemed smoother than before. I'll ask my wife what she thinks. I was going to mention the lubing of the U-joints in the column. I assume this is a common issue if they had the part in stock already?

The next issue is the rear toe still being off but within spec EVEN after the dealer performed a 4 wheel alignment. I plan to get a second opinion on the alignment printout I have and explore the shims to correct the rear toe.

141 - 160 of 193 Posts
About this Discussion
192 Replies
68 Participants
Pw78
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing