Hyundai Forums banner

181 - 200 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
BTW... this issue can affect any Hyundai/Kia vehicle no matter the model (although I've never heard of it on Genesis). But it seems to be very hit n miss. It also seems to appear then go away for a while. The only thing I can think of is who ever supplies the shafts must be using fresh grease most of the time then at some point the quality of the grease goes bad. Just a guess.

It also affects other makes. I've heard of Toyota's Buick Chevys Nissans Acuras having this same issue. 90% of the time it's the intermediate shaft u-joints.
I can confirm that this issue is still present on New Elantra model 2017. After 10k kilometers i have also sticky steering. :(

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N Line, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT (SOLD)
1,827 Posts
BTW... this issue can affect any Hyundai/Kia vehicle no matter the model (although I've never heard of it on Genesis). But it seems to be very hit n miss. It also seems to appear then go away for a while. The only thing I can think of is who ever supplies the shafts must be using fresh grease most of the time then at some point the quality of the grease goes bad. Just a guess.

It also affects other makes. I've heard of Toyota's Buick Chevys Nissans Acuras having this same issue. 90% of the time it's the intermediate shaft u-joints.
I think your right also. My car is to the point of have not only a minor clunking sound but also has this weird correction factor while going down the road where if your holding the wheel at a slight angle then need to go straight you need to over correct the wheel (Slight jerk) to get it to be straight otherwise it would still want to pull to the direction you had it had. Not to mention the wheel is off center even after an alignment a few months ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm also having the same problems with my 2015 Hyundai Elantra sport and it's actually caused a repetitive strain in my thumb tendons from constantly having to correct the steering wheel so the car will drive straight. I'm a petite women. I've been dealing with this issue since Jan 2018 I have been to 2 dealerships and they all say the car is fine and think I'm crazy. I've had other friends/father/own mechanic drive it and feel what I feel. I've had 4 alignments done on the car to try to fix the issue, they did a reset of the electric power steering, changed tires, checked tire pressure, checked tie rods all the normal things to check and they say everything is fine. Yet my car won't drive straight.. and sometimes gets that sticky feeling in the steering wheel. It's worse in the Sports and normal mode. I don't know what to do at this point... but sell the car :( but I love the look of this car! If anyone can offer any more advice I'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Finally got through all 19 pages of this tread lol I will be contacting the dealership regarding oiling the intermediate shaft u-joints. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I posted in the other Elantra Steering problem that my sticky steering wheel problem was solved by the dealer replacing the column under warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I applied white lithium spray grease to lower u-joint in April to our ’14 Elantra w/44K, but that didn’t work. Then I used a Q-tip dipped in a cup of 5W-30 in April + June to apply it to all the u-joints plus the junction at the middle of the shaft. I put on so much oil it’s running down the shaft towards the floor. My wife says it’s fixed. I drove it recently, and it appears the problem is still there, but so much less noticeable that I’m not sure if it’s my imagination or road tilt or wind. There was one 14-second stretch where it drove straight down the center, so maybe it IS “fixed”.

I still think there is something definitely wrong with the steering. I’ll wait till this winter to see if the issue comes back as the NH cold stiffens the oil.

Many thanks to amerisoft for all his time/effort spent giving us this fix.
- - - - - - - -

Note: my son is a master tech with 12 years of experience. He says our car feels like all the other Hyundais of that vintage he’s driven. The electric steering is “twitchy on the highway with a lack of a center feel, feeling over-boosted at speed where too much assist is programmed in. You may be feeling something that is unfortunately the new normal for you as you get used to electric power steering, instead of hydraulic.” After recently fixing the rubber coupler steering problem on a 2012 Sonata, he said afterwards that it felt just like our “fixed” Elantra.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If your car has the electric motor on the steering rack
Under the car remove the black plastic cover on the motor held on by three bolts
Repack will grease
100% fix

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well here is my update on this situation...a year ago I took the solution presented on here to the dealership to grease up the u joints etc... I even emailed them the instructions from here on how to do it. They wouldn't entertain my solution as it wasn't a "sanctioned" repair. But they did finally agree to change the steering column. Hyundai replaced the steering column, and the joint and/or coupling assy-universal in Dec 2018. That did fix the problem, until a couple of weeks ago the problem returned again!?!? :( Is this bad grease part of the steering column / joint and/or coupling assy-universal? I'm trying to figure out if when they changed these parts I would have gotten new parts with newer "grease" in those spots we should oil and over time again the grease has gotten old/stiff again and with the cold setting in mid Nov here in Canada that's why the problem has returned? I've got an appointment Monday for them to look at it again, but now my car is out of warranty and I'm sure I'll be in for a fight with them... Thanks for any additional insight on this issue. E

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a steering problem with my 2011 Elantra. While driving "straight" and maintaining a center location in the lane, the steering wheel will develop (for lack of a better word) a sticky feeling. When you try to move the wheel beyond the sticky spot it causes you to over compensate. Hyundai and two different dealers look at me like I am nuts. They test drive it but don't test it properly to feel the problem, they will test it by changing lanes and making turns. The problem is not always present and only happens when driving straight and when you move your hand slightly left and right to stay center in the lane.
I am looking for any help out there before I loose money and trade in a car with only 6000 miles on it. I am so sorry I changed from Toyota to Hyundai.:(

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am a Elantra owner, I have perused most of the Elantra forums and the Sonata forum.
All seem to have the same steering problems.
I own a Elantra 2015 GLS with 2.0 engine.
My wife has a 2013 Elantra Limited with the 1.8 engine.,
Her steering is beautiful, light, and easy two finger steering on the highway, heel of your hand spinning in the parking lot..
Mine isn't too bad around town, but on the highway, it's just hard work keeping it centered in the lane. Takes two hands all the time.
Takes way too much effort to make minor corrections, and then you you have to correct it in the other direction. (minor zig zagging)
Annoying!
I do have the buttons on my steering wheel to adjust it from Soft to Normal and Sport, but no matter where I set it, it feels exactly the same.
Doesn't seem to make any difference where it's set.
Wondering if there is a fuse related problem or something.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have a steering problem with my 2011 Elantra. While driving "straight" and maintaining a center location in the lane, the steering wheel will develop (for lack of a better word) a sticky feeling. When you try to move the wheel beyond the sticky spot it causes you to over compensate. Hyundai and two different dealers look at me like I am nuts. They test drive it but don't test it properly to feel the problem, they will test it by changing lanes and making turns. The problem is not always present and only happens when driving straight and when you move your hand slightly left and right to stay center in the lane.
I am looking for any help out there before I loose money and trade in a car with only 6000 miles on it. I am so sorry I changed from Toyota to Hyundai.:(
Hello, I have a 2011 Elantra and have a small, similar symptom with my steering. If you could post the info you have on the resolution that would be very helpfull. I have 36000 km on mine and it just recently started. Although it does not seem to be as bad as what you are describing....I feel it will only get worse and some dealer resolution "proof" would definatly not hurt when the time comes to replace it.

Thanks

Tuned

-sent fr: Android samsung Galaxy S captivate
The problem is lack if grease in the motor to piñon drive on the steering rack
Mine had the same problem
Remove black cover on steering rack then pack with good grease not the Hyundai stuff
And all will be fine
I was so happy when I fixed this problem
Dealers don’t even know about it

·
Registered
660 Posts
UPDATE: I brought my 2015 Elantra in for service last week and mentioned the issue of rough steering feel and hard to keep the vehicle in a straight line on the highway. Since my vehicle is under warranty they took it upon themselves to replace the intermediate steering column. The cost would have been $1,200 as per the work order I saw at the time but did not receive. I just drove it home as my wife is the primary driver but it seemed smoother than before. I'll ask my wife what she thinks. I was going to mention the lubing of the U-joints in the column. I assume this is a common issue if they had the part in stock already?

The next issue is the rear toe still being off but within spec EVEN after the dealer performed a 4 wheel alignment. I plan to get a second opinion on the alignment printout I have and explore the shims to correct the rear toe.
"..rear toe still being off but within spec..."

The cases for and against shimming to adjust rear toe on these Elantrae are just about evenly split. Then again, I say, why not give it a try?

After alignment results might be 'within spec', but it's important, for both the techs and drivers, to understand the effect of an adjustment being in one end of the specified range vs at the other.

On my 2010 Honda Accord, something happened to the Front Left wheel to cause its camber to be slightly positive, but still "in spec". The Front Right wheel is slightly negative, but well within spec. Front Camber for a Gen8 Accord is 0°, with a tolerance of half-degree negative to positive. The net result of both front wheels leaning slightly left is a gradual drift to left, mostly at highway speeds.

To counter this, I had my alignment guy toe the Right Rear wheel in slightly more than the Left Rear,(again, both rear toe numbers still within spec) to create a negative Thrust Angle(pull to right) to counter that front end left drift.

Succinctly, that is why alignment specs usually have a range, and how that range can be exploited to achieve desired handling characteristics.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I do have the buttons on my steering wheel to adjust it from
Soft to Normal and Sport, but no matter where I set it,
it feels exactly the same. Doesn't seem to make any difference
where it's set. Wondering if there is a fuse related problem or
something.

I posted a long-winded response to this issue the other day - don't know where it went.

Mainly to the gist of #1. Too much of a difference between the three EPS modes and most drivers might not know how to handle the differences in feel/effort, and land in someone's pool, and,

#2. On my (no longer) 2015 Elantra, there is a correlation between cold tire pressures and the difference in feel between the three steering modes: Lower pressures = more difference in steering mode feel, Higher pressures = less difference, and lighter, more responsive steering, overall.

I found that Hyundai's recommended pressures(33psi) worked fine in the fronts, but I lowered the rears to the original 2011 cold pressure of 32psi. Elantra was more like a normal car at those pressures, with 'Normal' steering mode selected, and Sport for highway travel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello , I'm from Ireland . I have recently purchased a 2017 1.7 turbo diesel tucson . I found that driving at approx 60mph the steering was indeed sticking , binding . I did initially do my research and sprayed lithium grease onto the u joints at both top and bottom of the steering intermediate shaft . This remedied the fault briefly . I brought the vehicle still under warranty to Hyundai and they confirmed there was a warranty fix of applying their own OEM grease to the mentioned joints . The difference is fantastic. No more sticking when driving in a straight line . I hope this helps .

181 - 200 of 203 Posts