Hyundai Forums banner

181 - 193 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
BTW... this issue can affect any Hyundai/Kia vehicle no matter the model (although I've never heard of it on Genesis). But it seems to be very hit n miss. It also seems to appear then go away for a while. The only thing I can think of is who ever supplies the shafts must be using fresh grease most of the time then at some point the quality of the grease goes bad. Just a guess.

It also affects other makes. I've heard of Toyota's Buick Chevys Nissans Acuras having this same issue. 90% of the time it's the intermediate shaft u-joints.
I can confirm that this issue is still present on New Elantra model 2017. After 10k kilometers i have also sticky steering. :(

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
BTW... this issue can affect any Hyundai/Kia vehicle no matter the model (although I've never heard of it on Genesis). But it seems to be very hit n miss. It also seems to appear then go away for a while. The only thing I can think of is who ever supplies the shafts must be using fresh grease most of the time then at some point the quality of the grease goes bad. Just a guess.

It also affects other makes. I've heard of Toyota's Buick Chevys Nissans Acuras having this same issue. 90% of the time it's the intermediate shaft u-joints.
I think your right also. My car is to the point of have not only a minor clunking sound but also has this weird correction factor while going down the road where if your holding the wheel at a slight angle then need to go straight you need to over correct the wheel (Slight jerk) to get it to be straight otherwise it would still want to pull to the direction you had it had. Not to mention the wheel is off center even after an alignment a few months ago.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm also having the same problems with my 2015 Hyundai Elantra sport and it's actually caused a repetitive strain in my thumb tendons from constantly having to correct the steering wheel so the car will drive straight. I'm a petite women. I've been dealing with this issue since Jan 2018 I have been to 2 dealerships and they all say the car is fine and think I'm crazy. I've had other friends/father/own mechanic drive it and feel what I feel. I've had 4 alignments done on the car to try to fix the issue, they did a reset of the electric power steering, changed tires, checked tire pressure, checked tie rods all the normal things to check and they say everything is fine. Yet my car won't drive straight.. and sometimes gets that sticky feeling in the steering wheel. It's worse in the Sports and normal mode. I don't know what to do at this point... but sell the car :( but I love the look of this car! If anyone can offer any more advice I'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally got through all 19 pages of this tread lol I will be contacting the dealership regarding oiling the intermediate shaft u-joints. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I posted in the other Elantra Steering problem that my sticky steering wheel problem was solved by the dealer replacing the column under warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I applied white lithium spray grease to lower u-joint in April to our ’14 Elantra w/44K, but that didn’t work. Then I used a Q-tip dipped in a cup of 5W-30 in April + June to apply it to all the u-joints plus the junction at the middle of the shaft. I put on so much oil it’s running down the shaft towards the floor. My wife says it’s fixed. I drove it recently, and it appears the problem is still there, but so much less noticeable that I’m not sure if it’s my imagination or road tilt or wind. There was one 14-second stretch where it drove straight down the center, so maybe it IS “fixed”.

I still think there is something definitely wrong with the steering. I’ll wait till this winter to see if the issue comes back as the NH cold stiffens the oil.

Many thanks to amerisoft for all his time/effort spent giving us this fix.
- - - - - - - -

Note: my son is a master tech with 12 years of experience. He says our car feels like all the other Hyundais of that vintage he’s driven. The electric steering is “twitchy on the highway with a lack of a center feel, feeling over-boosted at speed where too much assist is programmed in. You may be feeling something that is unfortunately the new normal for you as you get used to electric power steering, instead of hydraulic.” After recently fixing the rubber coupler steering problem on a 2012 Sonata, he said afterwards that it felt just like our “fixed” Elantra.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If your car has the electric motor on the steering rack
Under the car remove the black plastic cover on the motor held on by three bolts
Repack will grease
100% fix

181 - 193 of 193 Posts
About this Discussion
192 Replies
68 Participants
Pw78
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing