Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a steering problem with my 2011 Elantra. While driving "straight" and maintaining a center location in the lane, the steering wheel will develop (for lack of a better word) a sticky feeling. When you try to move the wheel beyond the sticky spot it causes you to over compensate. Hyundai and two different dealers look at me like I am nuts. They test drive it but don't test it properly to feel the problem, they will test it by changing lanes and making turns. The problem is not always present and only happens when driving straight and when you move your hand slightly left and right to stay center in the lane.
I am looking for any help out there before I loose money and trade in a car with only 6000 miles on it. I am so sorry I changed from Toyota to Hyundai.:(

·
Retired Staff
11,816 Posts
I think what you are describing is just a characteristic of the car. Its impossible to know without comparing to another car. Will your dealer let you test drive another Elantra by chance? It took me a few months to really get used to the steering on my Elantra on the highway but now it feels normal to me. If you already have 6k on yours then you should be used to it by now though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think what you are describing is just a characteristic of the car. Its impossible to know without comparing to another car. Will your dealer let you test drive another Elantra by chance? It took me a few months to really get used to the steering on my Elantra on the highway but now it feels normal to me. If you already have 6k on yours then you should be used to it by now though.
I bought the car in Feb of 2011 problem didn't start till November. There is definitely a problem. The dealer has a hard time finding it because it is not always there plus, it only happens when the steering wheel is in the straight ahead position. When it starts, it is VERY annoying to drive so much so that I am about to trade it in.
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my message.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I,ve had the same problem, but it happens infrequently. I have 14,000 miles on mine and it seems to happen on long drives on mostly straight roads. It just feels like the wheel sticks at the center position, but once the steering wheel moves just a little it feels normal again.

·
Registered
362 Posts
It just feels like the wheel sticks at the center position, but once the steering wheel moves just a little it feels normal again.
Have a steering problem with my 2011 Elantra. While driving "straight" and maintaining a center location in the lane, the steering wheel will develop (for lack of a better word) a sticky feeling. When you try to move the wheel beyond the sticky spot it causes you to over compensate.
Wow, I thought I was the only one. My steering does the exact same thing. Half of my work commute is Interstate/Highway so i feel it most every day. It makes gradual steering changes a chore and you tend to overcompensate. Like you all, the steering feels fine during curves, or at low speeds.

I assume that the steering is tightening up to give better road feel (or save MPG). IMO, it would be better for the steering to have a more linear feel, even if it was on the soft side.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your reply. The two dealers I went to look at me like I am nuts. The biggest disappointment is the lack of response I get from the Hyundai company. Between the problem and the company response, I don't think I will buy a Hyundai again. We have a 2004 Santa Fe that has had a trans. problem from day one and now this with the Elantra. Next time I wil go back to Toyota.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I talked with Hyundai again on Saturday and he told me to bring it back to the dealership again. A mechanic friend of mine told me to have them try the following: Place the car on the lift and try moving the steering wheel slightly left and right off of the center position. Also, have them check the "toe in" alignment. If all that fails to show the problem then, demand a meeting with the Hundai service rep and maybe arrange with him to take the car for a long ride with me.
When I go to the dealer, I will be taking copies of all the internet posts I have found where others are having the same issue. So far I have found 4 others besides myself.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
If the problem is insufficient test-driving by the dealership, ask the service manager to accompany you for a ride and make sure that he drives it under the conditions you describe. If he senses nothing wrong, at some point you've got to consider the possibility that it's a normal characteristic of the car's electric steering. Ask to test-drive a different Elantra from their lot.

Whatever you do, leave the internet posts at home. One can find anything on the internet, and a handful of anonymous "me-too" comments aren't going to impress anyone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the problem is insufficient test-driving by the dealership, ask the service manager to accompany you for a ride and make sure that he drives it under the conditions you describe. If he senses nothing wrong, at some point you've got to consider the possibility that it's a normal characteristic of the car's electric steering. Ask to test-drive a different Elantra from their lot.

Whatever you do, leave the internet posts at home. One can find anything on the internet, and a handful of anonymous "me-too" comments aren't going to impress anyone.
I dove the car for 9 months before the issue started including a 700 mile trip. I think I should know the what the normal steering characteristics our. As for the internet, your right you can find anything on there including help. If it weren't for the internet including this site, I would not have gottn help from Hyundai with my Sante fe transmission. I had to provide the service department with the repair bulletin that I got right here. The mechanic had no idea about the bullentin. I worked at a dealership for 15 years and know that "not all" mechanics are the brightest bulbs. As far as my problem gos, the dealership already had another customer with the same problem and replaced the steering column. They told me that they want to avoid having to do that to my car. I am not the first one with this issue it's just that they want to bury their head in the sand. I am assured of one thing, regardless of gas millage, this will be my last Hyundai.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Elantra Steering

I have the same sticky spot on my elantra. getting real annoying. Am going to set up an appt to let the service dept drive it and I will let you know what they say.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Elantra steering issue

Well on Tuesday I went back to the dealership when they opened up. This time their best mechanic drove the car with me in the passenger seat. After about 4 miles into the test drive, the problem showed its self, "THANK GOD".
The dealer has had it now for a second day and called to inform me that they tried a few repairs but nothing fixed it and that the problem was still there every time they drove it after each attempt. They informed me that they have talked it over with the Hyundai service rep and they have ordered a whole new steering column (there is no repairs that can be made to the steering column other then full replacement). They are 99% sure this will resolve the issue.
For all you people who have posted with the same issue, if you need support from me please re post and I will provide you with my service information so you can show it to your dealer.
A few people here just didn't seem to want to beleave me. Remember, the steering was great for the first 9 months I owed the car and I think that after that amount of time I should know how the steering should feel, especially since the problem would come and go.:p

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hello, I have a 2011 Elantra and have a small, similar symptom with my steering. If you could post the info you have on the resolution that would be very helpfull. I have 36000 km on mine and it just recently started. Although it does not seem to be as bad as what you are describing....I feel it will only get worse and some dealer resolution "proof" would definatly not hurt when the time comes to replace it.

Thanks

Tuned

-sent fr: Android samsung Galaxy S captivate

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I dove the car for 9 months before the issue started including a 700 mile trip. I think I should know the what the normal steering characteristics our.
A few people here just didn't seem to want to beleave me. Remember, the steering was great for the first 9 months I owed the car and I think that after that amount of time I should know how the steering should feel
Don't ask for help with a problem if you're going to be offended by the suggestion that you might not have a problem. Many people have come here stressed out for no reason, and I was only trying to help.

For the record, my other suggestion - to get somebody higher up at the dealership into your car - turned out to be the right solution. You're welcome.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TunedOut:
Sorry to hear you are experiencing a similar issue. I am still awaiting the new steering column to be installed and the car road tested however, there's not much left if that doesn't fix it except a trade-in.
I will definitely keep you abreast of my progress.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about. Driving on the highway with steering wheel straight, if I move it slightly it's like it's stuck. The car also doesn't drive straight on a straight length of road. I'm always micro-adjusting. I've never seen this in all the cars I owned. I think that's just the way the car is.

·
Banned
244 Posts
me too had the same issue (2012 Elantra), maybe the fluidic design , its aerodynamics aren't suited for speed driving - driving in a highway at 160 km/hr - it pulls one side to another - sometimes the steering feels hard - maybe we need to lower it down upon using a lowering springs. BUT as of now i planning to trade to a 2008 Jeep Cherokee SRT8 and i wont be able to worry all of this - the other night i was buried in the snow and cannot get out with my transmission and tires cry'n - stop at steep hill with snow cannot move forward other vehicle honk'n at my back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just drove my car back from dealer and the steering was much easier and had no more sticking problem. They told me they replaced the steering colum but, the work oder says "replaced MDPS unit". I goggled MDPS and it and it says it's a "Message Display Slave Module" which is a PC board. For all those out there having this same problem, have your dealer service department refer to Case #563103X400.
Good luck!

1 - 20 of 193 Posts
About this Discussion
192 Replies
68 Participants
Pw78
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing