Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Elantra and for many months now the radio and clock do not turn on at all. The power locks will only work when the car is on (accessory & engine). Once you turn the car off and take the key out the power locks don't work. The key fob to lock/unlock the car doesn't work at all even if the car is on. I just had the battery replaced but the issue was present before that. I took the following fuses out from the instrument panel and checked them and they tested good.

MODULE 6 10A
MODULE 3 7.5A
INTERIOR LAMP
MULTIMEDIA 1 & 2
AMP 1 & 2
DR LOCK (20A)

When the car is off the dome lights work fine. The cigarette lighter works too when the car is on. When you turn the car on after turning it off, the AC is always off and you have to turn it back on. The TPMS sensor is on/sometimes blinking but the dealer says they are all good and its not actually related to the tires.

I don't want to take it to the dealer to pay $200 to look at it and find out its going to cost $1k or more to fix, because its not worth it for this car.
Anyone have ideas for other fuses to check or what wiring to look into?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2011 Elantra and for many months now the radio and clock do not turn on at all. The power locks will only work when the car is on (accessory & engine). Once you turn the car off and take the key out the power locks don't work. The key fob to lock/unlock the car doesn't work at all even if the car is on. I just had the battery replaced but the issue was present before that. I took the following fuses out from the instrument panel and checked them and they tested good.

MODULE 6 10A
MODULE 3 7.5A
INTERIOR LAMP
MULTIMEDIA 1 & 2
AMP 1 & 2
DR LOCK (20A)

When the car is off the dome lights work fine. The cigarette lighter works too when the car is on. When you turn the car on after turning it off, the AC is always off and you have to turn it back on. The TPMS sensor is on/sometimes blinking but the dealer says they are all good and its not actually related to the tires.

I don't want to take it to the dealer to pay $200 to look at it and find out its going to cost $1k or more to fix, because its not worth it for this car.
Anyone have ideas for other fuses to check or what wiring to look into?
I have the EXACT issue. Did you ever figure out what is causing it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wonder if it's something to do with the fuse switch?

View attachment 457236
No. That would be wonderful though! I had it into the dealer and they said they fixed it but it went Out again a few weeks later. They said it was a loose ground. There was a recall on the radio ,” campaign TG1” but I am not sure if that is the issue. This is driving me insane!! UGH!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the EXACT issue. Did you ever figure out what is causing it?
Sadly no, we just live with it since there is only 1 primary driver.

I wonder if it's something to do with the fuse switch?

View attachment 457236
It's not that. The fuse switch is on, and the battery was replaced which is equivalent to turning the fuse switch off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No. That would be wonderful though! I had it into the dealer and they said they fixed it but it went Out again a few weeks later. They said it was a loose ground. There was a recall on the radio ,” campaign TG1” but I am not sure if that is the issue. This is driving me insane!! UGH!!
I didn't know about the recall on the radio. I will ask our dealer about that. Also going to try and contact Hyundai corporate since now we aren't the only ones :). Do you have the same 2011 Elantra?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sadly no, we just live with it since there is only 1 primary driver.

It's not that. The fuse switch is on, and the battery was replaced which is equivalent to turning the fuse switch off.
[/QUOTE
I didn't know about the recall on the radio. I will ask our dealer about that. Also going to try and contact Hyundai corporate since now we aren't the only ones :). Do you have the same 2011 Elantra?
I have a 2012 Elantra GLS.

The applicable model year for this service campaign was 2011/12 from start of production May 26, 2011 for Elantra (MD) vehicles.
it is for the audio PCB panel. ( printed circuit board)
I will join you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 2012 Elantra GLS.

The applicable model year for this service campaign was 2011/12 from start of production May 26, 2011 for Elantra (MD) vehicles.
it is for the audio PCB panel. ( printed circuit board)
I will join you.
It's working now!!

Try the fuse on/off switch like @Gerard 2 said. Turn it off for a few minutes and then turn it back on. We went to the dealer today and they said that even though that recall is for our car, our specific VIN wasn't affected. But the tech we always talk to there is nice and he tried to reset the radio using the pinhole reset button but that didn't do anything. Then he turned the fuse switch off for a bit and back on and then everything worked. It will reset the stuff on your radio but it's a small price to pay.

There is probably still a short somewhere but at least this might fix it temporarily.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
It's working now!!

Try the fuse on/off switch like @Gerard 2 said. Turn it off for a few minutes and then turn it back on. We went to the dealer today and they said that even though that recall is for our car, our specific VIN wasn't affected. But the tech we always talk to there is nice and he tried to reset the radio using the pinhole reset button but that didn't do anything. Then he turned the fuse switch off for a bit and back on and then everything worked. It will reset the stuff on your radio but it's a small price to pay.

There is probably still a short somewhere but at least this might fix it temporarily.
I've never looked at one of those switches, maybe the contacts inside it are actually the fault and corroded? Cycling the switch may have cleaned it up inside?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've never looked at one of those switches, maybe the contacts inside it are actually the fault and corroded? Cycling the switch may have cleaned it up inside?
I don't think its the switch but some other loose connection thats causing a short and turning everything off/on again resets it.

Something shorted out again after I got gas but turning the switch on/off again fixed it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The sole purpose of that ON/OFF switch is to disconnect car ACCesories for long storage or ship transport so the battery doesn't drain with time. I'm pretty sure your switch or the relays in the same circuit are bad and I don't think there's a short because you haven't find any blown fuse, switch is not like a house Main breaker, its use is what I described above.
With the car and ACC OFF Tap switch lightly and have someone else watch if the clock turns off or flicker. If it happens disconnect your car battery and exercise switch OFF and ON a few times or spray a little amount of deoxit or similar and keep exercising it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts