Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if it's been there all along or whether it's more pronounced due to the sub -20 degrees (Celsius) weather we've been having but I'm hearing a clicking/ticking/rattling sound whenever I hit the accelerator. The sound seems to move in tandem with how fast I hit the accelerator.

When I start the car on these cold mornings, it's fairly loud I would say but over some time driving, the loudness seems to diminish (but remains there) to point that if you turn the radio you'll probably not hear it.

Car it out of warranty (about 30k km), not sure if it's a common thing or been there all along or something to worry about.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine is doing that right now too. Mine is a 2014 Elantra 1.8. Once it’s warmed up it doesn’t do it during idle, but still does it during acceleration.

Mine has 128,000 miles on it.

And it has been bitterly cold here also, has been in the negative teens for the last few days.

One side note for my car, I have been on vacation for the last 2 weeks, so my car hasn’t been started for a while. Noticed it today.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine is still doing it. Drove to work today, about 80 miles. It's still running. I have an appointment at my dealer tomorrow morning. Another 80 miles home tonight, and 60 miles to dealer tomorrow. I hope I make it...lol

I'm going to raise **** if they tell me i need a new engine. I've taken the car in twice before the warranty was up for the same issue, just not as loud. and before the noise would go away after warming up. Both times they dismissed it as normal.

There's no way i can afford any repairs now, not to mention i still have 2.5 years to pay on the **** thing. (I put abour 45,000 miles a year on my car, and its all highway mileage).

I may have to buy an old beater to drive to work while i pay on this car sitting in the garage.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Mine is still doing it. Drove to work today, about 80 miles. It's still running. I have an appointment at my dealer tomorrow morning. Another 80 miles home tonight, and 60 miles to dealer tomorrow. I hope I make it...lol

I'm going to raise **** if they tell me i need a new engine. I've taken the car in twice before the warranty was up for the same issue, just not as loud. and before the noise would go away after warming up. Both times they dismissed it as normal.

There's no way i can afford any repairs now, not to mention i still have 2.5 years to pay on the **** thing. (I put abour 45,000 miles a year on my car, and its all highway mileage).

I may have to buy an old beater to drive to work while i pay on this car sitting in the garage.
Same, I know how you feel..Warranty is up as well on mine and only got an appointment for next Wednesday. I might have noticed it last winter but when summer came around, the sound must of diminished 'cause it didn't seem to bug me. I should have taken noticed how busy the Hyundai service dept. is before buying the car, it's always full of people when I go.

I've been reading through this thread which is starting to scare the **** out of me: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/md-20...346401-**1-8-nu-engine-rattle-fix**-pics.html . Not sure if they're describing the same noise we're experiencing.

I'm going to lose it if I need a new engine at 30,000 Km...

Let me know how it turns out, good luck.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm not sure if it's normal or not but my '11 E base model has done it from the get go. It's even more pronounced now in the frigid temps we been having the last 2 weeks. I'm @178K+ trouble free miles and do not worry about it anymore :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure if it's normal or not but my '11 E base model has done it from the get go. It's even more pronounced now in the frigid temps we been having the last 2 weeks. I'm @178K+ trouble free miles and do not worry about it anymore :)
So it's similar to the noise I've posted above? Similar in my case, definitely more pronounced now in the frigid temps? You say nothing to worry about then?

·
Registered
317 Posts
So it's similar to the noise I've posted above? Similar in my case, definitely more pronounced now in the frigid temps? You say nothing to worry about then?

sorry. I don't have earphones/buds.
What I am meaning to say is 'I' don't worry about it anymore. It's made that noise since I've had the car only louder in this weather.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I get the same thing on cold start ups. I've noticed it for awhile, but don't remember the noise from the day I got it. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Get some good night's sleep lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Cant hear anything on the clip above but I’ve hd two rattle/noise issues over the life of my car. First was due to exhaust heat shield, made a bit of a rattle on startup and when accelerating at low speeds. They replaced part of the exhaust when it was pretty new and installed clamps a few years later. No issues since the clamps were installed

The other issue was more of a grinding noise on cold start and they replaced the cam gears and timing chain I believe.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Cant hear anything on the clip above but I’ve hd two rattle/noise issues over the life of my car. First was due to exhaust heat shield, made a bit of a rattle on startup and when accelerating at low speeds. They replaced part of the exhaust when it was pretty new and installed clamps a few years later. No issues since the clamps were installed

The other issue was more of a grinding noise on cold start and they replaced the cam gears and timing chain I believe.
I have the same rattle from my exhaust! How do I get rid of it??? Have new clamps installed?? Really hate the annoying noise it occasionally makes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Right, you'd probably need to put headphones on. I took a recording while sitting in the car, it was far too cold to open the hold...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Did you get to the bottom of your noise?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did you get to the bottom of your noise?

I couldn’t get Hyundai to pay for anything and it was going to cost me more money than I had to have them check what was wrong... so I just ended up trading it off. Hopefully I have better luck with this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey. Mine started doing the exact same sound: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/md-20...2-limited-clacking-clicking-engine-noise.html
Started also when it was -20 degrees outside in MTL.
Same. Will bring it to the dealer on Monday, when speaking to the service rep, I quickly described the noise and she said it *could* be related to a defect in the short block described in the Technical Service Bullentin 14-20-002 http://www.hyundai-forums.com/md-20...u-engine-rattle-fix**-pics-4.html#post3104737. But without hearing the noise, it's unknown at this point.

Even though the car is out of warranty, they better replace it if it's indeed that issue. I'm gonna raise ****, as I never received a recall notice or was made aware of the Technical Service bulletin until now, browsing this forum.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Same. Will bring it to the dealer on Monday, when speaking to the service rep, I quickly described the noise and she said it *could* be related to a defect in the short block described in the Technical Service Bullentin 14-20-002 http://www.hyundai-forums.com/md-20...u-engine-rattle-fix**-pics-4.html#post3104737. But without hearing the noise, it's unknown at this point.

Even though the car is out of warranty, they better replace it if it's indeed that issue. I'm gonna raise ****, as I never received a recall notice or was made aware of the Technical Service bulletin until now, browsing this forum.
https://static.superservice.com/content/pdfs/HYW/bulletin/CA/14-20-002 UD Engine Knocking V2.pdf

Sounds exactly like what they did with me:
In cases where dealers receive a customer complaint regarding
an engine knocking noise, dealers
are required to validate the concern and confirm scheduled maintenance (oil changes) have been
performed. The symptoms of this particular engine knocking condition is the engine exhibits a loud
knock during start up but the noise reduces as the engine reaches operating temperature. For
vehicles exhibiting these conditions we are advising dealers not to conduct any further diagnosis but
to order a replacement engine short block assembly
Looks like it's only if a customer complains, not a full recall. Good way for HMA to save $$$.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts