Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've recently run into some issues with my 2011 Accent where it wont start, it simply makes a noticeably loud click noise from the engine compartment.

The main variable seems to be the temperature, on cold days I can basically say its not going to start.

I have already replaced the battery, thinking this was the most likely cause but that doesn't seem to have fixed the issue.

I have come to think that its probably either my alternator (not supplying enough juice to my battery) or my starter (not working correctly in general).

I figured before I start throwing more money at it I should check with you all and see if you had any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Get a voltmeter. If the battery voltage is above 14v when idling after starting it is good.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,574 Posts
Replaced battery already
And when cold, there is a click

Hmm, Swap starter relay
And, clean terminals of battery (don't forget to do the ground strap)
And, clean the terminals of the starter (don't forget the engine ground strap)
And, clean the cable ends

If that doesn't work then wait for warmer weather ... ???

·
Registered
168 Posts
Had this same problem on my 2004 Mercury Sable, had a new battery in it, and alternator/regulator was functioning just fine.

If the temperature was above 15 F no problems starting, but below would not start.

The solenoid in the starter would not function (activate the starter bendix) under cold temperatures.

I had the starter removed by my mechanic and took the starter to have it rebuilt with a new Ford Specification solenoid), Ford Spec. new brushes (original one still had plenty of life), the bendix even look fine (but replaced with new Ford Spec. Bendix).

I paid $35 to have it rebuilt, a lot cheaper than a new or rebuilt starter from a auto parts place.

Just look around for a place that rebuilds, starters, alternators, and have them replace with Hyundai OEM parts and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,269 Posts
I paid $35 to have it rebuilt, a lot cheaper than a new or rebuilt starter from a auto parts place.
I don't know how someone could rebuild a starter with a new solenoid and bendix for $35.
Do people work for free in the US? Do starter motor parts grow on trees over there?
$35 is roughly £25 in the UK. You couldn't buy a used unit from a breakers yard for that over here.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just had this same problem and had new battery also. Crank got weaker as it got colder out and one morning wouldn't start at first although it eventually fired up. I replaced the starter and all is good. Even better actually--the starter is much more quiet and starts more quickly than it has in a long time. First real problem in 62k miles.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't know how someone could rebuild a starter with a new solenoid and bendix for $35.
Do people work for free in the US? Do starter motor parts grow on trees over there?
$35 is roughly £25 in the UK. You couldn't buy a used unit from a breakers yard for that over here.
I must have some Scottish blood in my ancestry that I am not aware of ! :grin2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts