Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

Just picked up a 2011 Accent. Its wine red, with beige interior, automatic and premium equipment package.

I came from a 2010 Kia Rio5, with a 5 speed. It's rpms were so high it was annoying. Over 20,000 miles, that car averaged about 31.5 mpg. I'm hoping the Accent will do better. I'm a manual transmission guy, but I switched to an automatic. The mpg was rated better for both the Rio and the Accent (same powertrain), and in both cases the automatic was rated higher than the manual. Which I thought was b.s. until I rode in a friends Accent rental car. The rpm in the Accent automatic was MUCH lower. Which is the reason for the lower mpg rating. So I went with an auto.

Let me tell you, the rpms are indeed MUCH lower.

2010 Rio5 5 speed (top gear):

60 mph = 3,000 rpm
65 mph = 3,250 rpm
70 mph = 3,500 rpm
75 mph = 3,750 rpm
80 mph = 4,000 rpm

2011 Accent auto (top gear locked):

60 mph = 2,450 rpm
65 mph = 2,700 rpm
70 mph = 2,875 rpm
75 mph = 3,050 rpm
80 mph = 3,500 rpm (I think I have an rpm error at 80 mph, I'll check that again tonight, and correct it tomorrow).

Anyway, I just wanted to contribute a little, FWIW.

I also wanted to see if there were any undocumented features or secrets about the Accent that I may not be aware of.

Thanks.

JyRO

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Odd, I would have thought the 2010 RIO would get the same gear ratios as the 2010 Accent. Mine is manual and does 3100 at 75mph.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Not to turn this thread into an auto vs manual, or another MPG debate, but man... the auto just feels completely gutless to me. We had an automatic in the shop that we were fixing and all the guys were making fun of me because of how slow the thing felt to the point where I let a couple of them drive my manual to compare and even they agreed that the auto is literally testicle-less in the power department. To me, a car has to be a little fun to drive and if I had an auto, well, I don't think I'd own an Accent any more. As for the difference in MPG... I don't really care TBQH :) I'm not so poor so as to worry about an extra dollar per tank with the difference that I'd be willing to trade off the fun and power of the manual.

But in your case, I know it doesn't really matter - I believe you said you owned an FD, so there's your fun and power right there so the auto fulfills all your needs as a daily driver and that's pretty cool too. So long as everyone's happy with their car, it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (Naky @ Oct 13 2010, 10:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363362
Not to turn this thread into an auto vs manual, or another MPG debate, but man... the auto just feels completely gutless to me. We had an automatic in the shop that we were fixing and all the guys were making fun of me because of how slow the thing felt to the point where I let a couple of them drive my manual to compare and even they agreed that the auto is literally testicle-less in the power department. To me, a car has to be a little fun to drive and if I had an auto, well, I don't think I'd own an Accent any more. As for the difference in MPG... I don't really care TBQH :) I'm not so poor so as to worry about an extra dollar per tank with the difference that I'd be willing to trade off the fun and power of the manual.

But in your case, I know it doesn't really matter - I believe you said you owned an FD, so there's your fun and power right there so the auto fulfills all your needs as a daily driver and that's pretty cool too. So long as everyone's happy with their car, it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks.
You're absolutely right, the auto is completely gutless. But I had no way to test drive a 5 speed Accent. If burnitwithfire is right (I have no reason to doubt that), then I would have been happier with a 5 speed Accent.

I may not have been clear. The mpg of the Rio5 wasn't the deal breaker ... it was the screaming of the engine down the interstate that drove me nuts. I was just refrencing the mpg difference between the auto and manual because the only way I could imagine an auto getting better mpg than a manual was due to the tremendous difference in rpm.

burnitwithfire - Could you double check your rpm at 70 mph? I would appreciate it. I would have thought the gear ratios to be the same between the Accent and Rio also. I'm going to have to look up the transmission spec's between the two. This Accent is a company lease vehicle. I only keep them between 15k to 20k. If the manual is running same or similar rpm as the auto, I WILL go back to the manual. It's much funner to drive, feels peppier, and I'm sure I can get better mpg with the manual also (assuming same or similar rpm).

Thanks for the input guys!

JyRO

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just found the ratios...

All 2010 and 2011 Accents and Rios (both cars, both years) with a 5 speed have a 0.84:1 ratio for 5th gear. This is what I had in my Rio5 SX. It screamed down the interstate.

All 2010 and 2011 Accents and Rios (both cars, both years) with an auto have a 0.69:1 ratio for 4th gear (4 speed auto). Much more pleasant on the interstate. A gutless piglett however.

So ... it looks like I was right to go with the Auto. Naky - you're right also, in that I have my FD to have all the fun I can stand with. I want the Accent to move me from point A to point B as pleasantly and cheaply as possible.

I'm doing a long distance interstate commute with the vehicle, so the high rpm of the manual was getting on my nerves ... and wasting a bit of gas. I too am not overly concerned about mpg, but if I can get better mpg with less annoyance in a commuter car, well ... more power to it.

BTW, my FD averages about 20 mpg around town. I maxed it out just under 25 mpg on a long interstate trip once. It's terribly inefficient fuel-wise, but terribly efficient power-wise. 1.3L Wankel.

JyRO

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (JyRO @ Oct 14 2010, 05:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363514
burnitwithfire - Could you double check your rpm at 70 mph? I would appreciate it. I would have thought the gear ratios to be the same between the Accent and Rio also. I'm going to have to look up the transmission spec's between the two. This Accent is a company lease vehicle. I only keep them between 15k to 20k. If the manual is running same or similar rpm as the auto, I WILL go back to the manual. It's much funner to drive, feels peppier, and I'm sure I can get better mpg with the manual also (assuming same or similar rpm).

Thanks for the input guys!

JyRO
I drive the car everyday on the highway, it revs around 3100 at 70mph (give or take 50rpm). On average, going 75mph gives me 6.2L/100km (38mpg). The Auto revs a bit lower overall but the mileage difference is very small.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Burnitwithfire - I got those gear ratios vs model years from the internet. As you know, the internet has never been wrong! :whistling:

All I know is that if I had been sent a J.D. Power survey, I would have ripped Kia's arse for the gearing. So I would imagine Hyundai / Kia heard complaints about this gearing, and changed it. My guess is, the website I referenced didn't have the latest data. When I take my Accent in for service, I'll see if they have a 5 speed, and drive it.

Back when I had the Rio5, a coworker came down and had a Nissan Cube as a rental car. By most standards, it's not a large car. But in comparison with the Rio5, it is large. I had him race me against the Rio5 one day when we went to lunch. We did a race from about a 10 mph roll. I jumped out on him and thought I'd stay ahead. When I shifted to 2nd, he pulled away and kept on losing me. The Cube had a CVT.

I give the Accent more props than the Rio5, the thing I like about both of the cars is, they are SIMPLE. At least about as simple as a current high production vehicle can be. Like my Corolla. There's a lot of advantage to that, in my opinion.

- JyRO

·
Registered
50 Posts
So what's the gear ratio with the 2008 Accent manual trans? 'Cuz I hit 3000 rpms at slightly over 60 mph. and about 4000 right about 80 mph. Its awesome and peppy around the city, but on the highway it always sounds like I need to shift into a 6th gear hehehe. Which I wish it had. I still love that car though!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (DigitalAccent79 @ Oct 15 2010, 08:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363769
So what's the gear ratio with the 2008 Accent manual trans? 'Cuz I hit 3000 rpms at slightly over 60 mph. and about 4000 right about 80 mph. Its awesome and peppy around the city, but on the highway it always sounds like I need to shift into a 6th gear hehehe. Which I wish it had. I still love that car though!
Same as 2006-2009 Accents.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
burnit - Is your Accent a BLUE? This would explain your gearing difference!

The gear ratios for the 2010 Accent blue are as follows:

- 1st (3.615)
- 2nd (1.950)
- 3rd (1.286)
- 4th (0.886)
- 5th (0.733)

The BLUE is the only one with these gear ratios. The non-BLUE vehicles have the ratios that I posted above.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (JyRO @ Oct 18 2010, 09:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364212
burnit - Is your Accent a BLUE? This would explain your gearing difference!

The gear ratios for the 2010 Accent blue are as follows:

- 1st (3.615)
- 2nd (1.950)
- 3rd (1.286)
- 4th (0.886)
- 5th (0.733)

The BLUE is the only one with these gear ratios. The non-BLUE vehicles have the ratios that I posted above.
It's a Canadian L base model. No blue here. I though Hyundai would've changed the gearing on all models.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Either your's has the BLUE's gearing, or your translation from km to miles is screwy. :grin: I don't know for sure, but I think it's possible that your Canadian version received the BLUE's gearing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts